Fifteen years is a long time - 28th april 1990

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:57 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Scarily its fifteen years to the day that we last won the holy grail that is the league championship with a win at Anfield over QPR thanks to goals from Rushie and Digger.

Whilst I am loving every minute of our Champions League jolly this term, and I enjoyed every moment of the treble season in 2001, it all pales into insignificance against the league.

This above all else is what we must strive for, and following his comments publicised yesterday, it looks like Rafa's right hand man knows it too.

I would give up all the cups we have won in the fifteen years since for one Championship, in fact I would give up all the women since then ! (Yes both of them :D )

Rafa, bring it home . . . .

You are so wrong! I cant beleive you said this.

the champions league is the envy of every league team in europe, and not to mention the prestige to go with it!

Id give up all of LFC's league wins to win the CL!

it gives you recognition beyong belief, everyone knows you are kings of europe! the Milans, the Madrids etc. its puts LFc well on the map!

How many times did Man Utd win the European cup, compared to the league recently? they werent good enough, didnt have what it took.

This is the best chance  we will probably ever have of winning it again! you do need a lot of luck, too! and we have ahad that luck thus far, with injuries/ and results

And it would be remembered more favourably than any league win. thats for sure. just like the 4 cups won to date are remembered far more fondly than the last league title in 1990.

give me the champions league any day

Totally and utterly uneqivicobaly clueless.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:14 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Scarily its fifteen years to the day that we last won the holy grail that is the league championship with a win at Anfield over QPR thanks to goals from Rushie and Digger.

Whilst I am loving every minute of our Champions League jolly this term, and I enjoyed every moment of the treble season in 2001, it all pales into insignificance against the league.

This above all else is what we must strive for, and following his comments publicised yesterday, it looks like Rafa's right hand man knows it too.

I would give up all the cups we have won in the fifteen years since for one Championship, in fact I would give up all the women since then ! (Yes both of them :D )

You are so wrong! I cant beleive you said this.

the champions league is the envy of every league team in europe, and not to mention the prestige to go with it!

Id give up all of LFC's league wins to win the CL!

it gives you recognition beyong belief, everyone knows you are kings of europe! the Milans, the Madrids etc. its puts LFc well on the map!

How many times did Man Utd win the European cup, compared to the league recently? they werent good enough, didnt have what it took.

This is the best chance  we will probably ever have of winning it again! you do need a lot of luck, too! and we have ahad that luck thus far, with injuries/ and results

And it would be remembered more favourably than any league win. thats for sure. just like the 4 cups won to date are remembered far more fondly than the last league title in 1990.

give me the champions league any day

Totally and utterly uneqivicobaly clueless.

Thick as pig sh!t too. :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:32 am

As Daglish said above, I suspect this fellow is a more recent supporter.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to see us winning the league before going on to conquer Europe......not that I'm against us winning Europe this season!

We WILL win the league again, maybe not next season or the season after, but I think we can win it sometime in the next few years. When we do it will be sweet sweet sweet!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:12 am

The CL is important mostly for monetary reasons because even participation in the gropu stages would bring in a lot of tv money. It has been made as the glittering competition and the expanded format has made it harder to win than in the past but at the same time, it has also devalued the competition as more teams than the league champions and the CL champions are allowed to compete to make more marketable. In May 1999, the CL final was contested by 2 domestic league runners-up of the 1997/98 season, Manure and Bayern. Both were runners up to Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund respectively. By right, this should not be called the "Champions' League" as non league champions also get to participate and with the luck of the draw, may well progress far in the competition (the luck element also includes Liverpool, having avoided major heavyweights at both group stages and last 16 until we met Juve).

Like most of the older fans here or who have been a fan for much longer than the past 5 years, I still think that the domestic league is the real measure of a team as you have to be the top performer over the course of an entire gurelling season, from August to the next May.

Admittedly, the CL is very difficult to win, that is why there has been no winners who have successfully retained their crown in successive years; but this more because the champions normally gets the squad broken up where other CL rivals would throw money and buy the outstanding players (the exception has been Real Madrid and now Chelsea because they throw silly money to get players).

The EPL is particularly hard to win because minnow teams like the Norwich Citys, WBAs, the Crystal Palaces etc. will play out of their skin if they meet a top side and especially if they are fighting relegation. This phemnomenon is not so apparent in other leagues, only sometimes the La Liga or the Seria A do throw the odd surprise (was it Juve or Milan recently losing to Sienna?) but not as frequent as the EPL. This is a charachteristic which only exist in the EPL and its most charming and enduring feature. That is why there are more followers of the EPL around the world than any other league. This is why winning the EPL is such an attraction and I would dearly love to see Liverpool win it at least once in the near future, more so then the CL.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:55 am

Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:03 am wrote:Scarily its fifteen years to the day that we last won the holy grail that is the league championship with a win at Anfield over QPR thanks to goals from Rushie and Digger.

Not long now Leon!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 am

fivecups » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:55 am wrote:
Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:03 am wrote:Scarily its fifteen years to the day that we last won the holy grail that is the league championship with a win at Anfield over QPR thanks to goals from Rushie and Digger.

Not long now Leon!

:buttrock
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion