After 29 LONG years, this is finally our season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 am

Still in our hands. And we were always going to have a wobbly moment with injuries. 

Hopefully a few players get back from injury for Bournemouth and we get back to winning ways.   :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 am

I would love to have your optimism mate but currently im deflated as fek.. :-(
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:25 am

Anyone creating these stupid threads should be shot!
F******* IDIOT!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:15 am

How are we feeling today lads?

I feel a little bit like this:

https://twitter.com/Crazzyintheusa/stat ... 51618?s=19
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 am

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:10 am

Saw this over on Rawk. Thought it was a good post.

5 draws and 1 loss.
5 draws and 1 loss.
5 draws and 1 loss.

That is extremely good. You can look through the history of the league and you would be hard pressed to find a better stat at this point in the season.

And YET- for many that is not enough. Every season EVERY team goes through a slump and a dip in form- even City. That is just the laws of physics. You can't argue with it. You can't stop it- you can't bypass it, you can't "will" yourself over it. YOU WILL experience a drop in form. You can bang your head as hard as you can against a wall, but you will not get around that fact. Some will have it during December(like City) after a stellar start, some will experience it Jan/Feb, while others will experience it towards the end of the season(Spurs a couple of, or 3 seasons ago).
It's about managing that and we're not doing badly- we're at least eking out draws in games we could have lost and Lady Luck is still with us(last night's offside).

But Liverpool FC- who are up against probably the best opponent in Premier League history.. Liverpool FC who's got a "lesser" squad, whose squad cost much less than their illustrious rivals are not supposed to have such a dip in form? Performing like a true champion, yet that is not enough?
What- have some some of you gone mad!? You off your rockers!? You really think we're supposed to win every game?

Don't come here with Sh*t like- "at least I want to see a performance!"
You'd rather see us play well and draw, than NOT play well and still ....... draw? Bullshit- you're just emotional instead of exercising rational control and want to Sh*t on anyone. A very selfish attitude.

You can look at the history of the premier league and I can guarantee you- you will find perhaps 2/3 teams that have done as well as we had thusfar- at this point in the season.
But no- many of our supporters are so entitled- they want us to win every match. Are you f... .*.! :no

There is no bottling going on- there is only minor fatigue and injuries and that is common.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:49 pm

If there was a trophy for putting a positive spin on things that would be one piece of silverware that would never leave the Anfield trophy room. Going by Everton's recent performances we will probably find ourselves in second place tonight albeit with a game in hand, just a few weeks ago we spurned the chance to go 10 points clear of City.
The only thing that is relevant is wether our players have the mental toughness to deal with that, they will feel that it was nearly won, now they have to go and win it again in a 13 game sprint with City.
If our players match City's points total over the last 13 games we will win the title by 3 points, if we can't match them that 29 year wait will roll on, its as simple as that.
It's not the fans who need Churchillian rallying cries, the players are the ones who need to snap out of their lethargy and to start performing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Up until a couple of weeks ago even with so many games still to play we looked odd's on champions.

They say every team has a dip in form, maybe that's what we've experienced these last few games , the upside is, we may have dropped points but we still haven't lost a game.

The downside is, we've looked pedestrian, predictable and tired.

I'm not a professional athlete so can't explain whats happened to a squad that's apparently lost it's "mojo"

Is it that the required physical and mental focus that took us so far ahead of our rivals is now exacting a toll on the players ?

Wouldn't be the first time in recent seasons that we've gone off the boil post the Xmas/New Year fixtures.

I'm screaming and cursing at some of the performances as much as anyone in here .

BUT, instead of slating them I'm thinking ............

Maybe the first team fella's are trying to give it their all but have just mentally and physically run themselves into the ground ?

Despite a marked improvement in the squad, we're still unable to rotate "quality for quality" in key positions   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Mentally i can understand but physically I'm not sure. This season we have abandoned our high intensity game for almost throughout. Given we also got kickout out of cup games i don't know how the lads would be drained.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am wrote:If there was a trophy for putting a positive spin on things that would be one piece of silverware that would never leave the Anfield trophy room. Going by Everton's recent performances we will probably find ourselves in second place tonight albeit with a game in hand, just a few weeks ago we spurned the chance to go 10 points clear of City.
The only thing that is relevant is wether our players have the mental toughness to deal with that, they will feel that it was nearly won, now they have to go and win it again in a 13 game sprint with City.
If our players match City's points total over the last 13 games we will win the title by 3 points, if we can't match them that 29 year wait will roll on, its as simple as that.
It's not the fans who need Churchillian rallying cries, the players are the ones who need to snap out of their lethargy and to start performing.

Everton fielded their reserve squad..Bunch of sorry wnkrs
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 pm

only me » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:19 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am wrote:If there was a trophy for putting a positive spin on things that would be one piece of silverware that would never leave the Anfield trophy room. Going by Everton's recent performances we will probably find ourselves in second place tonight albeit with a game in hand, just a few weeks ago we spurned the chance to go 10 points clear of City.

Everton fielded their reserve squad..Bunch of sorry wnkrs

Yeah, getting beat 1-0 unsurprisingly.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:53 am

I don’t think that City will win all their remaining matches as they have so many matches coming up including CL which is their number 1 priority. Odds of them not suffering some sort of setback are slim to unlikely. I said it before and I’ll say it again, if we are there or there about come March, we have a great shot of lifting the trophy. We are still very solid defensively unfortunately the attack has gone off the boil, surely however they will click together again. Salah is still top scorer and Mane seems to be in good form, the difference seems to be Firmino, his work rate and technical abilities tell you that he won’t stay in a slump forever. If we maintain our defensive strength I’m sure the attack will groove again, we are not that far away really. We have a week between matches so Klopp has every chance to get them firing again.

I don’t think that we have even peaked this year, I hope I’m right and we peak in the last couple of months as that is the time to peak. Sure I am nervous as we are so close to something we have been dreaming about for thirty years or so, and we have let two big chances slip in recent history, we have however, never been so good defensively and titles are won by a strong defense which we never had. Keep it tight at the back and the forwards will catch up.

It’ll be a ride folks and there will be more drama to come, I’d rather stay upbeat.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 am

Good post Kazaa.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 am

kazza » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:53 am wrote:I don’t think that City will win all their remaining matches as they have so many matches coming up including CL which is their number 1 priority. Odds of them not suffering some sort of setback are slim to unlikely. I said it before and I’ll say it again, if we are there or there about come March, we have a great shot of lifting the trophy. We are still very solid defensively unfortunately the attack has gone off the boil, surely however they will click together again. Salah is still top scorer and Mane seems to be in good form, the difference seems to be Firmino, his work rate and technical abilities tell you that he won’t stay in a slump forever. If we maintain our defensive strength I’m sure the attack will groove again, we are not that far away really. We have a week between matches so Klopp has every chance to get them firing again.

I don’t think that we have even peaked this year, I hope I’m right and we peak in the last couple of months as that is the time to peak. Sure I am nervous as we are so close to something we have been dreaming about for thirty years or so, and we have let two big chances slip in recent history, we have however, never been so good defensively and titles are won by a strong defense which we never had. Keep it tight at the back and the forwards will catch up.

It’ll be a ride folks and there will be more drama to come, I’d rather stay upbeat.

We may have peaked  kazza. We had a great december winning all our matches and before that in November all matches except for the draw against arsenal...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 am

Mags I don’t think we have peaked all season except in defence. Firmino hasn’t been the same since he came back from the World Cup. We certainly haven’t looked totally convincing in many matches and we have been downright poor in CL away games. We are still a work in progress. You only have to look at City’s bench last night to realise that we are not the finished article. If plan A doesn’t work we struggle. Haven’t said that we are still very very good and to be in the position that we find ourselves is nothing short of amazing.

Keep the faith !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member