ADAM LALLANA Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:55 pm

For me, he is easily one to replace. Clearly a good player, but he just doesn't score enough for the position he plays. If we get a decent offer for him I'd take it.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Raoul » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:55 pm wrote:For me, he is easily one to replace. Clearly a good player, but he just doesn't score enough for the position he plays. If we get a decent offer for him I'd take it.

would be one of the first out of the door for me, along with Allen, Migs and Moreno.

Massive underperformer and been shown (time and again) to be woefully out of his depth at LFC for most of the 2 years here's been here. We'll be lucky to get half of what we paid for him.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:13 pm

He's the most underrated player at the club imo. How fans cant see his value to the side is beyond me. Doesnt lose possession anywhere near as much as Coutinho and Firmino do and he keeps things ticking higher up the pitch. He also does his fair share of defending and his work rate is never in question. Does he really need to add to his goals/assists to convince people ? I'm not so sure. Out of the 3/4 attacking players, he's usually the one afforded the least freedom to roam around. He also does more defensive work than the rest of the attacking players and adds that bit of balance to our midfield.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:43 pm

He's just too ineffective going forward. His dribblings and nice looking passes don't contribute too much to actually threatening the oppo's goal. I hate players like that to be honest, players that always try to look flashy and tricksy but not actually threatening in any sort of way. He needs to be more direct IMO, going forward doesn't always have to look nice.

However, I've always praised Adam's work rate and defensive work. And I've always said about him that if we surround him with good players we'll see the best out of him, because he's the sort of player that makes the good players look even better. His usefulness comes to light when the entire team plays well.

He's a useful addition to our squad no doubt, but he's not someone that we cannot live without.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 pm

aCe' » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 pm wrote:He's the most underrated player at the club imo. How fans cant see his value to the side is beyond me. Doesnt lose possession anywhere near as much as Coutinho and Firmino do and he keeps things ticking higher up the pitch. He also does his fair share of defending and his work rate is never in question. Does he really need to add to his goals/assists to convince people ? I'm not so sure. Out of the 3/4 attacking players, he's usually the one afforded the least freedom to roam around. He also does more defensive work than the rest of the attacking players and adds that bit of balance to our midfield.

Couldn't agree more. Vastly underrated by many in here but fortunately not by Kloppo .

His appetite and work rate alone will see him very much as part of Jurgens battle plan for the rest of this AND next season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:19 pm

vastly improved in recent games... had some nice assists...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:12 pm

damjan193 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 pm wrote:He's just too ineffective going forward. His dribblings and nice looking passes don't contribute too much to actually threatening the oppo's goal. I hate players like that to be honest, players that always try to look flashy and tricksy but not actually threatening in any sort of way. He needs to be more direct IMO, going forward doesn't always have to look nice.
However, I've always praised Adam's work rate and defensive work. And I've always said about him that if we surround him with good players we'll see the best out of him, because he's the sort of player that makes the good players look even better. His usefulness comes to light when the entire team plays well.

He's a useful addition to our squad no doubt, but he's not someone that we cannot live without.

I can name many top players who fall emphatically in that category you mention who are invaluable to their sides. In fact, most top clubs have attacking players who dont contribute much (or enough according to your logic) in terms of goals and assists. Iniesta, Modric, Willian until recently, etc have all played attacking midfield positions for large periods and havent had the big numbers you seem to expect from Lallana given his position. So far this season, he has 7 goals and 7 assists which is decent if not spectacular. Coutinho has 8 goals 5 assists, Milner has 8 goals 7 assists, and Firmino -who has played the majority of the season as a forward- has 9 goals 9 assists. His numbers are comparable to those in the side playing the same position with a bit more attacking freedom (Milner aside).

Having more than 1 Coutinho in the side would be more damaging than anything imo. For a period this season, Coutinho had a dip in form that made him on the pitch a liability more than anything. He gave the ball away cheaply and frequently, and his 'direct style' led to way too many attacking moves ending with hopeless shots from funny positions and angles. Firmino is probably the only player in the side who gives the ball away more than Coutinho. Both -on their day- can win you a game with individual brilliance (something Lallana is yet to show, if he even has it in him) but they also need players around them who offer something different. With his combination of flair and work rate, and given the fact he doesnt lose possession cheaply, Lallana complements them quite nicely imo.

He isnt someone we cant live without as you suggest, but if we do replace him, it would likely be with a Kuyt/Valencia/Milner type of player who maintains that sort of balance and might chip in with a few extra goals/assists but wont do the style of play or the players around him much good. It's the same reason I've been calling for us to play only 2 of Henderson/Can/Milner; he's the key to maintaining that pressing/defensive positioning/passing-slick style more often than not.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:34 pm

I don't rate Lallana anywhere near as high. Some are prising him for his workrate....well we have lots of waterboys in the squad - Milner, Henderson Allen - and it makes me cringe when expectations are lowered to this.

Lallana wasn't signed for his running, he was signed for his technical ability to unlock defences with passing and forward movement. For £26m, he's been poor. He usually turns up 1 in 6 or 7  games and the rest of the time he goes AWOL.  This season he's scored 3 goals in the league and had 5 assists.

My biggest problem with him is his lack of gonads when it comes to going forward. Most of his runs come to nothing and his technical flashes usually result with him ending up on his ar$e, because he's too lightweight. I also fail to see why he was captain for Southampton, because he shows zero leadership on the field.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 am

Congratulations to Adam Lallana who has won this months PFA Player Of The Month Award  :buttrock

(not April Fool's) http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-t ... -for-march
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:39 am

woof woof ! » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:56 pm wrote:
aCe' » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 pm wrote:He's the most underrated player at the club imo. How fans cant see his value to the side is beyond me. Doesnt lose possession anywhere near as much as Coutinho and Firmino do and he keeps things ticking higher up the pitch. He also does his fair share of defending and his work rate is never in question. Does he really need to add to his goals/assists to convince people ? I'm not so sure. Out of the 3/4 attacking players, he's usually the one afforded the least freedom to roam around. He also does more defensive work than the rest of the attacking players and adds that bit of balance to our midfield.

Couldn't agree more. Vastly underrated by many in here but fortunately not by Kloppo .

His appetite and work rate alone will see him very much as part of Jurgens battle plan for the rest of this AND next season.

As I watched him against Spurs I did wonder if it was time to re-assess my opinion of him.

I guess if you need eight to carry the piano and only three to play it, perhaps there is room for him after all - especially as he can play a bit...

Still not entirely convinced, but...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 am

Its hard after such a performance  given the euphoria we're all experiencing after one of the greatest European comebacks ever ,to criticise, but Lallana was absolutely abysmal earlier ,and imo a luxury we can ill afford .....Sorry for those that rate him ,but he cant be trusted to be consistent his Liverpool career thus far is littered with far too many ridiculously bad performances.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:08 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 am wrote:Its hard after such a performance  given the euphoria we're all experiencing after one of the greatest European comebacks ever ,to criticise, but Lallana was absolutely abysmal earlier ,and imo a luxury we can ill afford .....Sorry for those that rate him ,but he cant be trusted to be consistent his Liverpool career thus far is littered with far too many ridiculously bad performances.

Finding it hard to criticise the lads after such a brilliant result but if I was gonna castigate anyone for their performance last night it would be Firmno and not Lallana.

Lallana certainly wasn't great BUT I thought his contribution was at least superior to that of Firmino who may as well of been wearing a Dortmund shirt considering how many times he gave the ball to them !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:00 am

woof woof ! » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:08 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 am wrote:Its hard after such a performance  given the euphoria we're all experiencing after one of the greatest European comebacks ever ,to criticise, but Lallana was absolutely abysmal earlier ,and imo a luxury we can ill afford .....Sorry for those that rate him ,but he cant be trusted to be consistent his Liverpool career thus far is littered with far too many ridiculously bad performances.

Finding it hard to criticise the lads after such a brilliant result but if I was gonna castigate anyone for their performance last night it would be Firmno and not Lallana.

Lallana certainly wasn't great BUT I thought his contribution was at least superior to that of Firmino who may as well of been wearing a Dortmund shirt considering how many times he gave the ball to them !

I'll go with that as well. Thought both did'nt contribute much and I thought Milner the first half was terrible as well and contributed to the poor performance from the pair.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:56 pm

It's a bit Bit unfair to slate Firmino. He was in good form before his injury and clearly isn't match fit. Moreno and Lallana were woeful yesterday and pretty much summed up their LFC careers with a couple of decent performances followed up by the turgid dog sh!te of last night. Both need to go.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:56 pm wrote:It's a bit Bit unfair to slate Firmino. He was in good form before his injury and clearly isn't match fit. Moreno and Lallana were woeful yesterday and pretty much summed up their LFC careers with a couple of decent performances followed up by the turgid dog sh!te of last night. Both need to go.

:laugh:   Unfair to slate Firmino for his performance last night but ok to call Moreno and Lallana's contribution as woeful.

OK , nice balanced view there   :glare:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion