A case for the defence - Major overhaul?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ethanr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:54 am

Zidane wrote:We just need to reinforce our CBs, we need two more imo as Skrtel and Agger are really the only ones I would like to see consistently right now.  Carra has got to stop being first choice next season full stop.  That and our LB situation is really bad, the only spot we're doing well in is RB.  I could see Kelly possibly being moved to the middle though next season with Glen back on the right and a new LB.  We'd basically be getting another CB and I think Kelly would be better than Carra and Soto.  He would also be filling in for Glen on the right if injured/rested and Carra would just slot back into CB for those matches.  At the very least we need two new defenders this summer, CB and LB.

I could see that as well, but Kelley has been amazing getting up and down the pitch this year.  Has a decent Ashley Cole quality to him, obviously not as talented but he's young so within a couple years he could be an amazing RB who can get up and create chances, but also a player we know we don't have to worry about in getting back like we sometimes do with Johnson.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kerry07 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:41 am

stmichael wrote:The hoofing from the back last night was taking to new levels. I know they may not have had a creative influence to play it to in the middles of the park but it was criminal to watch a times. Carroll in the side without Gerrard/Suarez just gives the defence an excuse and it's not acceptable.

The HOOFBALL we now see was back to the bad old days before Alonso....and is a major reason i detest watching us right now (haven't felt comfortable or enjoyed watching us since he left).

As u said, there is now nothing in the midfield, no deep reciever to take the ball off the defence, no midfield pivot, no controller, so Carra and co have no option but to hoof it.

While not good enough for a team with top 4 aspirations, Charlie Adam is superior to anything we have in central midfield, and him parading infront of the back 4 as a pivot, we would have see a vast decrease in hoofball had we got him in before the deadline.

The midfield has been toothless since August 2009, and the defence left badly exposed (u take out keep ball merchants Xavi/Iniesta out of the Barca midfield to leave nothing infront of their defence, and lets see how "bambi on ice" Pique copes with opposing teams with now much greater possession,  constantly running at him).

We need two top class central midfielders before we even look at the defence. Having good defenders is irrevelant if the midfield is being over-run.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby Reg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:21 pm

PabloMedina28 wrote:Needs a total makerover, Kellys the only player im 100% behind keeping. Johnson needs better centre defenders to get the best out of him as all attacking full backs need, Carras a spent force, Agger is injuried far too much and the rest are :censored:. Id actually bring back Insua as back up LB.

Good post.

Just thought I'd remind you Carra's just sgned a 3 year 90 thou a week contract.......  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 pm

What we need most of all is a world class cb who is dominat and gets injured rarely.

I'd sell the lot we have right now if it was possible.
We have not even 1 dependant cb who is even CL quality.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:13 pm

We are in a more desperate need of a good centre back than a full back. I think that Kelly and Johnson are the two best players we have in our defence. I'm not saying that our centre backs are too bad, but I'm afraid that they're only good enough for the bench. Carra is getting old, Kyrgiakos and Skrtel are a liability and Agger is OK but he's injured way too. We need a world class centre back who will partner either Carra or Agger in defence with Johnson and Kelly playing as full backs.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Gary Cahill anyone?

he is having an outstanding game against the Mancs and arguably Bolton's best defender
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't disagree but I can see a Turner scenario all over again.

Sure Cahill is probably better than what we have but asking other PL clubs for players these days is just asking for trouble.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit of Bolton asks for some ridiculous sum, like 20 million, I really don't.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:27 pm

I think Cahill is a good player but he would be very expensive.  Kjaer has already been quoted at about 10 million and I think that is a great deal.  Would love Mertsacker as well but I'm not sure he's willing to leave.
ethanr

Postby parchpea » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:56 pm

We need so many new players in all departments its hard to see the wood for the trees at this point. The going rate for your top notch defenders is in the £20m + bracket so we either throw caution to wind and start chucking money about or search for bargains and those just off the radar. Left back and centre half needed anyways. Could do with another Hyypia at £3m!  :;):
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:47 am

I wonder if it would be too early to give Martin Kelly a start in the center of defence-for the rest of the season just to see how he goes, we've nothing to lose and I think if we bed him in there now he maybe a contender for next season starting eleven. Then if this idea worked Kenny would only need to bring one TOP CLASS CB in the summer. He could look to offload anyone of Soto, Agger or Skertel. I'd probably think Agger and Soto could go leaving Carra and Skertel as back-up. I couldn't see Agger staying fit for one and two lose his place in the team even if he were fit, where as Skertel I think would be happier to an extent to sit on the bench, and Carra would have to like it or lump it IMO.

Johnson   Kelly      ?         ?

Over course another area that hasn't been fixed until Riise left us (how many years ago was that!) is left back, I don't watch much else on the continent so wouldn't know any candidates for LB but we need a solid consistent performer there too.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:14 pm

It's so depressing seeing Agger limping off again. We can't rely on any of our centre backs at the moment. Depending on our spending plans in the summer we may have to look at using Kelly as a centre back.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Aussie Style » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing;

Johnson Kelly Agger Baines
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Ya I agree with you guys about putting Kelly at CB. Kelly needs to start, but if we sign a LB (Hopefully Baines) then where does that leave Johnson? I still think he's a very talented player worth holding on to.
ethanr

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 pm

I would take Cahill every day of the week. I think he looks really solid, big and strong.  The perfect replacement for Carra.  I think we need to pay whatever is needed to get him this summer and hopefully play him next to Agger (when fit) and Carra if Agger is not fit.

I also want Ashley Young, Charlie Adam and maybe Jarvis from Wolves.

There you go, thats my shopping list, now Mr Henry please go and splash the cash! :p
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:54 pm

ethanr wrote:Ya I agree with you guys about putting Kelly at CB. Kelly needs to start, but if we sign a LB (Hopefully Baines) then where does that leave Johnson? I still think he's a very talented player worth holding on to.

If Kelly starts at CB, then Johnson would slot back in at RB, no?
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion