Case against the defence - Defence

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Coley » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:21 pm

I don't know if there are any reds out there who will agree, but i think one of the main problems with our style of play (or lack of it) stems from our defence.  Henchoz and Hyppia, good defenders that they are in their own right, are too slow as a partnership and as a result site too deep leaving a massive gap between our defence and attack. 

This is why we end up playing so many long balls over the top for poor Owen to chase.  I think if we get someone like Boomsong or Mexes from Auxerre (think Mexes is still there as well?) we could pair them up with one of the H's and push up the park a bit. 

This really showed against chelsea in the fist game of the season.  Because we were sitting back they got too much space and as a result were able to pass us off the park.  Against teams like that we should be condensing the play and now allowing them time on the ball. 

I would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this or has any opinions on the matter.
Coley

Postby its cold in the stands shadow » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:23 pm

totally agree mate, the times lampard seemed to pop up in the hole between the back four and midfield was worrying.
when we did push up we were caught with our kecks down as in the gudjohnsen incident.
its cold in the stands shadow

Postby ANDY SMITH » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:48 pm

IT DOESNT HELP EITHER WITH CARRAGHER AT RIGHT BACK WHO IS USELESS AT GOING FORWARD. THANK GOD FOR FINNAN IF HE EVER PLAYS
ANDY SMITH

Postby AHAK » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:12 pm

I completely agree.  There are too many people who think the sun shines out of Hyppia's a#se.  Our team tactics and layout are based largely on two players.  Hyppia's weaknesses and owen's strengths.  Neither are good enuff to have a team built around them.
AHAK

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:48 pm

thank god someone else sees it!

carragher is not a full back end of story. henchoz and hyppia are stoppers but cant play the ball out from the back. riise isnt the player he was the first season he came.

i also think hamann playing so deep affects the way we play.

i think houllier should go.

anyone who thinks a midfield of biscan, cheyrou, murphy and kewell is going win anything is having a laugh. he simply will not admit he has made mistakes with some of his buys and is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

we need width so he plays kewell down the middle and diouf on the left. he has run out of ideas and i saw no change against chelski from last year.

joke.
Danny

Postby AHAK » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:31 pm

Afta watching sami against Everton I still think his performances last season and now are completely sh##e.  I'm convinced now he's just a half decent midfielder playing at the back.  He was completely outshone by Biscan and made mistake after mistake.  we can only go so far with him in the team.
AHAK

Postby supersub » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:57 pm

Sami Hyypia is in a spell of indifferent form,yes I agree but a midfielder he is not.Biscan was excellent today,probably his best game for a couple of years.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:43 am

A good win over Everton but we were lucky that Rooney missed so many clear chances. The defence is slow and cumbersome and if it were van Nistleroy or Theiry Henry, there would be a couple of goals conceded to the opposition.
Nope, the defence was sadly unconvincing. It was a good thing that Dudek was in good form.
We're not going to win the title, not with a defence like this. I still think Houllier has to go.
Anyway, let's just savour the moment of the first Liverpool win...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:43 am

i was asking my friend if he wanted liv to lose the derby (i half wanted us to lose so that Hou could go sooner) he replied he prefer the win and the manager still get sacked  :D
Don BELIEVE we can win the title with the current squad and the manager!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid tactic
whylongball?

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion