A case for the defence - Cliché i know, but anyway.......

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:40 pm

Redrider wrote:I suspect that Finnan, is now operating under the Zonal Defending instructions, which makes life simpler for him. Under the Houllier regime, Finnan had more responsibilities pushing up behind Diouff etc.

you clearly have no clue at all.

Zonal marking is ONLY for free kicks/corners, so what would that have to do with playing right back ??

IDIOT
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:50 pm

Finnan could be voted the best right back again this season. The only other right back who impressed me so far is Paulo Ferreira from chelsea.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:43 pm

No question that Finnan has been an absolute revelation this season. I've been very critical of Houlliers signings so it's only fair to point out that he was a sound pick. Now that Riise seems to be playing well at left-mid and Traore's form is at best unpredictable, I just wonder if a look at Bernard from Newcastle might be in order. Contract up at the end of the season and a good player in my view.
Redriders post is an indication of the confusion people get into when discussing the finer points of the tactical side of the game. Leon's absolutely right, zonal defence is in operation only in dead ball situations. 
One last thing, I thought the performance of Pelligrino against an admittedly weak Watford side was encouraging. My suspicion is that perhaps he's not the donkey, and Rafa not the fool that one or two on here have alluded to. Bet him and Morientes are aching like they've never ached before after their first three games in England.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:00 pm

BigMick

I was thinking that when I watched the game - in the first 5 mins - Morientes was gettin stuck right in - but got kicked several times into the air.
It was like - welcome to England - welcome to First Division Tackling, welcome to ****** weather and a decidedly dodgy pitch
He must have been thinking "Someones gonna pinch me in a sec and I'll wake up and eat my paella" :D

Great post boys

Finnan & Carragher have been fantastic this season
Carragher has made so many last ditch tackles or blocks that he really had no right to win - but executed them through sheer determination

Pellegrino is gonna take a few more games to read the pace of the League
But I agree again - he definitely looked more secure against Watford - even if there was the odd hoof (if in doubt - hoof it out) :;):

As for left back - Traore looked like he was startin to come good - but has gone right off the boil again - I'll be happier when Risse is back their & Kewell left midfield

All our major successes over the years have always stemmed from solid defending

Even recently - the 5 trophy season - we had the best centre half combination in the league, until they started playing Wife Swap

The only thing that's worrying me apart from the other usual posted on here is the issue of Hamman
Against Southampton - he looked knackered - I was startin to wonder if he's still got the legs for it & he hasn't signed / been offered a new contract yet
but against Watford - I thought he was back on song
I hope they do sort his contract out - and that he really has a couple of good seasons still left in him
He protects the defence so well - and hardly ever gives the ball away
Do you think Rafa will sort his contract out ??
SouthernScouser

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:03 pm

SouthernScouser wrote:Even recently - the 5 trophy season - we had the best centre half combination in the league, until they started playing Wife Swap

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:04 pm

great post leon and fully agreed.
and i'm 100% sure it's not paul tomkin's :p :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:The return of Steve Finnan, (my how we missed the lad at right back) is a joy to behold. After a year long sabatical in his first season, where he flattered to deceive, and left most of us baffled as to what happened to the solid attacking right back we had seen at Fulham, Steve has come back this season under Rafa, and impressed me a hell of a lot. When he was asked to do a job at right wing due to the injuries, he was superb. He also proved to Rafa he is the best right back at the club following his return to the defence after Josemi's nightmare. A quiet, unassuming Irish man, solid and dependable, with the liverbird upon his chest, it takes me back.............

If you ask me it bodes well for next season

I mean Finnan was one the most slagged off player's I can remember ever last season, likened more to a useless donkey than a footballer.

Soon as he's out this season we have to change our whole defence around and there's a collective sigh of 'oh sh#t' when he's injured.

Funnily enough you'd think the Finnan example would make people relax and wait a bit. Not every player can do it in their first season, takes time to gel, and lets face it gelled Finnan has.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion