A case for the defence - Major overhaul?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:As the saying goes, attack is the best form of defence and with what we have at the back I think we could cope for another season if our tactics were more positive and not so negative all the time (but that's for another discussion).

You see this is the thing. Getting the balance right is so difficult. As far as I'm concerned, good defence is foundation for good attack. This season, for reasons we might never fathom, our defence was unbelievable shaky at times and we were conceding daft soft goals left right and centre.

A defence low on confidence means the midfield has to come back and support which as a result restricts our attacking options, while giving the opposition more chance to press us. This pushes back the back 4 further back and it becomes a vicious cycle.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:39 pm

For me a good value and quality CB waiting to be signed for a big club is Hangeland. Hyypia like stature and reliable for the last two seasons for Fulham, in fact you could argue his presence has been key to Fulham's success of late.

We should never of sold Riise, he had one bad season FFS. I take him now over Insua and Aurelio anyday.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am

Incidentally our best back four of Johnson, Carra, Agger and Aurelio have played ONE match together this season (home v arsenal). That has hardly helped matters.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm

i've bumped this thread because i fell it's relavant at the moment.

we're at a stage now wherby carra shouldn't automatically be selected imo. he's not finished but anybody can see that he's on the decline. agger should be first choice all day long. as for who plays alongside him, that's anybody's guess. at the moment, we're so vulnerable in the air that the greek is looking like the best option.

having said that, hodgson needs to have a word with the fullbacks aswell. the ease with which they just let united cross balls into the box was embarassing.

who would you have as you first choice centre back pairing? who can we feasibly buy?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I would like to see The greek and Agger paired for a spell.

Clearly, domination in the air is a major problem for us at the moment and i think the big greek would give us that superiority. He is also usefull for corners/free kicks for us as he always seems to get near to the ball.

He is also only 31..............not a million years old, i think he can do a good job for us for a season.

Not convinced by Johnson or Konchesky so far this season, they havent provided the attacking attributes we need and their defending has been far from acceptable. Is Aurellio fit to play? maybe he needs a little spell in the first team, unless Kelly can play at left back ????

I guess Johnson will remain throughout.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:21 pm

RedSi35 wrote:Not convinced by Johnson or Konchesky so far this season, they havent provided the attacking attributes we need and their defending has been far from acceptable. Is Aurellio fit to play? maybe he needs a little spell in the first team, unless Kelly can play at left back ????

I guess Johnson will remain throughout.

Aurelio when fit is easily our best left back. Unfortunately he makes Harry Kewell look like the bionic man.

Johnson has been awful this season and I can't put my finger on it really. He's all over the place. Has he got issues off the pitch? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm bumping this because it's clearly a major issue that needs addressing.

Agger needs to be number one centre back as he gets us playing a higher line and is a true footballer but he's injury prone which is a major concern. However who plays alongside him is a major concern. Skrtel isn't good enough imo and is probably a saleable asset. Carra is on the wane and the Greek is not a viable first choice against the very best opposition. You could say we need two centre backs in the summer.

Wilson is still young and was asked to take control at the back far too many times yesterday for my liking. He's clearly a talented lad but inexperienced at this level. Kelly's long term position is right back.

A major concern for me and I'm sure Kenny will be looking at it come the summer.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Aussie Style » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Subotic or Kjaer to partner Agger. Sell Kyrgi and Skrtel. Carra, Wilson and Ayala good backups. Kelly right back, Leighton Baines left back with Johnson and Insua providing good depth. Sorted :D
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 pm

i agree agger has to be a starter every week if he can stay fit.his composure was sadly missed yesterday and with no pace we sat way too deep.
carra is waning and probably wont be up to much next season likewise with soto.skyrtel isnt the answer for us either and i also view him as a saleable asset in the summer.
wilson looks like he can be a player similar to agger but was exposed yesterday due to his naievity and inexperience for the second goal so i would like to see him in a more central role alongside agger.
kelly i rate highly but wonder how long he will last at right back.imo he is suited to as a centre half which i believe is his actual position and he's just filling in at rb because we dont have one thats better than him atm but his future does lie as a centre and imo a natural replacement for carra.
i dont think johnson has a future in our defense,i know he has played a few games at lb and done well but he also played some excellent games for us at rb too.its his defending thats the problem and ive said it before that he should be deployed on the rw in favour of kuyt or gerrard.
aurelio should be shown the door this season once and for all.
should we enter next season with carra,wilson,agger,kelly and someone new like kjaer or hanngeland as our centre's and sign 2 wing backs like izaguirre and coleman and 2 wingers like young and downing then we would be capable of achieving glory.more than likely we will need a keeper also although i hope not,if we do id go for given.
our problems this season have been mostly due to the fact that we have no natural width on any flank and thats what needs to be adressed.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Aussie Style wrote:Subotic or Kjaer to partner Agger. Sell Kyrgi and Skrtel. Carra, Wilson and Ayala good backups. Kelly right back, Leighton Baines left back with Johnson and Insua providing good depth. Sorted :D

Subotic? Dortmund turned down like 20 mill from Chelsea in January for him.

Kjaer is a player that I think we would all like to see at Anfield. Dont know how much he'd cost though but it shouldnt be as much as Subotic would surely.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:29 pm

red till i die!! wrote:i dont think johnson has a future in our defense,i know he has played a few games at lb and done well but he also played some excellent games for us at rb too.its his defending thats the problem and ive said it before that he should be deployed on the rw in favour of kuyt or gerrard.

johnson is never a right winger. he thrives in the 3-5-2 system as a wing back. he'll never be an orthodox winger in a 4-4-2.

anyway claims of his inability to defend is laughably over-exaggerated at times. left back is a far bigger issue for us as we haven't had a proper decent fit option since riise's demise. it's been a joke position in recent years. we should be looking at this izaguerre chap from celtic.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

stmichael wrote:
red till i die!! wrote:i dont think johnson has a future in our defense,i know he has played a few games at lb and done well but he also played some excellent games for us at rb too.its his defending thats the problem and ive said it before that he should be deployed on the rw in favour of kuyt or gerrard.

johnson is never a right winger. he thrives in the 3-5-2 system as a wing back. he'll never be an orthodox winger in a 4-4-2.

anyway claims of his inability to defend is laughably over-exaggerated at times. left back is a far bigger issue for us as we haven't had a proper decent fit option since riise's demise. it's been a joke position in recent years. we should be looking at this izaguerre chap from celtic.

i didnt mean that he can't defend,he can but has his moments and has struggled early on in the season in r.b and now we see him deployed lb in a 3-5-2 where he spends most of his time in a forward role and as was the case on sunday when wh broke on the counter wilson got exposed and it cost us for the second.
should we sign izaguirre then where does that leave johnson?,i cant see him wanting to hang around on the bench either so i would play him in a 4-4-2 on the rw.
he has all the attributes for a rw,pace,strenght and a decent crosser who can cut in and score goals.
we would get far more out of him if he was in a more advanced role.
just like we havent had a lb since riise we havent had a rw since pennant and they along with a lw and rb are the more pressing areas that need to be addressed  in the summer.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 pm

damjan193 wrote:
Aussie Style wrote:Subotic or Kjaer to partner Agger. Sell Kyrgi and Skrtel. Carra, Wilson and Ayala good backups. Kelly right back, Leighton Baines left back with Johnson and Insua providing good depth. Sorted :D

Subotic? Dortmund turned down like 20 mill from Chelsea in January for him.

Borussia Dortmund said whoever wants him better be prepared to pay up, but all teams say that obviously. I don't think Chelsea bid for him though. Luiz was their number 1 target all along.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Not gonna throw too many name in the pot but it's clear we need:

1 - A centre-half who is dominant in the air and decent on the deck. We need a player in the Vidic mould but you don't get them without paying top dollar. Hangeland fits the bill but i don't tihnk he fits the NESG's 'only pay big for young players' ideal.

2 - A left back. Doesn't need to be an absolute world beater but solid and (able to stay) fit would be a start.

Kjaer getting linked with a lot of big clubs at the moment but I've watched him a couple of times now and i'm not convinced he's the dominant player we need.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Scottbot wrote:We need a player in the Vidic mould but you don't get them without paying top dollar.

Fecking Parry  :angry:  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion