A case for the defence - Major overhaul?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:now that B'ham are relegated, 2 players spring to mind - Scott Dann and Roger Johnson.

what say you? or should we have other targets?

I haven't see too much of Dann but part of the reason they went down was him getting injured.

Johnson I like and would be glad to see him here, personally I think we need an established Premier league centre half - he fits the bill and would be better value for money than Cahill.
I know we beat them 5-0 at Anfield recently but Johnson struck me as a good leader and organiser, he was giving out orders all afternoon (obviously they didn't listen!), he also looks to have a good attitude, even late in the game he was giving it his all and winning tackles. He is a good defender, decent on the ball and dangerous at set pieces.

The lad at Blackburn, Jones , I know we have had him watched a few times but may be one for the future , I think we need someone ready to go straight into the team.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon May 23, 2011 11:00 am

Don't understand why we'd want to buy lads from clubs being relegated? 

Kinda sounds squew-wiff to me.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Reg wrote:Don't understand why we'd want to buy lads from clubs being relegated? 

Kinda sounds squew-wiff to me.

i don't know mate, I know Wigan and Wolves stayed up in the end but Matt Jarvis and young James McCarthy are both quality players i'd be happy to see us go in for. Same goes for Charlie Adam and Scott Parker. Johnson looks a decent player but we do need to go out and get ourselves a big dominant centre-half who can play as well. Cahill deffo fits the bill and we'll see juts how much the board is willing to spend to get him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Skrtel for me is a frustrating player. He has his excellent games but he also has games when he looks like a pub player. We need better imo or we need to sign a really good ball player to play alongside him and compliment him if Agger is out injured

I don't think it matters what 'type' of CB you pair Skertel up with, yeah sure a ball player like Agger - but that won't prevent the slovak's tendency in making individual errors, something he is good at a bit too often for my liking.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 am

Octsky wrote:i have no idea why some of the guys keep stating that Carra
shouldnt be in the team wk in wk out.
everytime i see him play, he always come in with important tackle.
most recent was the game vs chelsea when judas was about to pull the trigger.

if its age, well, Maldini played well into his 40's for AC.
Carra is like 33 ? he take good care of his body, dont drink dont party, so he should be good for
a few more years. Didnt Hyppia played for us nearing his mid 30's ?

...err the speed of the game in Serie A is a bit different to the Premier League. You don't see 40 year old defenders in our league for a reason.

Hyppia was a great back up player when he was past his prime years & I hope Carragher follows a similar path.
killerp

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue May 24, 2011 7:33 am

Be interesting to see what they do overall with the defence, they could switch Johnson to left back as we have Kelly and Flanagan at right back.

Aurelio and Agger are the 2 main issues, they are the most comfortable on the ball of all our defenders but so injury prone.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Sat May 28, 2011 8:34 am

2010/11 stats-all games

Leighton Baines 46 games 7 goals 12 assists
Jose Enrique 36 games 0 goals 1 assist
Gael Clichy 46 games 1 goal 3 assists
Fabio Coentrao 34 games 4 goals 1 assist
Emilio Izaguirre 49 games 1 goal 4 assists
Patrice Evra 51 games 1 goal 1 assist
Ashley Cole 57 games 0 goals 5 assists
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat May 28, 2011 10:21 am

Baines is the obvious target looking at the above... but do we want a bluenose? and would he even consider it?
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Sat May 28, 2011 10:41 am

"As a boy I supported Liverpool. As a local lad I used to watch from The Kop when Robbie Fowler was making his name. I started out at Liverpool's Centre of Excellence and although it was disappointing when nothing came of it, I was lucky that both Wigan and Wolves wanted to sign me."

Leighton Baines
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat May 28, 2011 10:42 am

Aussie Style wrote:"As a boy I supported Liverpool. As a local lad I used to watch from The Kop when Robbie Fowler was making his name. I started out at Liverpool's Centre of Excellence and although it was disappointing when nothing came of it, I was lucky that both Wigan and Wolves wanted to sign me."

Leighton Baines

In that case..

Kenny.... go fetch!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:45 pm

A new dominant centre back is an absolute must, Skrtel and the big Greek are no where near the required quality
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Sat May 28, 2011 4:31 pm

I agree, get rid of Soto and Skrtel, neither are good enough if we want to challenge at the top!  Skrtel got praise for playing every minute of every league game this season but fact is he just isnt good enough for us, would keep him as a squad player a best but definitely need someone better in there!

I always compare him to vidic who is miles better than skrtel, more dominant, scores goals and strikers are afraid of him! Skrtel just pulls people to the ground!!
ICE-MAN

Postby aCe' » Sat May 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Probably the most important position for any side in the english league and sadly our CBs arent good enough.. The thing is, there arent many top CBs available atm and I'm not entirely onvinced Kenny sees it as a top priority position to fill... If we have any ambitions of challenging anytime soon then we'll probably need 2 top class CBs rather than 1 ... Agger is too injury prone and isnt physically dominant... Good footballer and all that but is it really enough ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat May 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Gary Cahill seems a player we could really use.. He know's that many are interested in him and I'm pretty sure he wants to leave.  It's probably between us and Arsenal.  And spurs because they go for everything that moves.

Scott Dann and Roger Johnson both seem available, and I wouldn't Mind Dann, I think he's a good player.  Once Dann was out of the starting 11, Birmingham started to really suck, and Roger Johnson was still in.  That makes me feel he was riding Dann a bit during the season and that Dann was really holding them up.

People are saying we should go for Dann because Cahill is a bit more expensive, but he's worth every penny of it.  To be honest, Cahill and Mata are the 2 players I want most.  I wouldn't mind signing both Dann and Cahill, but I really think we need to push for Cahill.

I've wanted Baines for awhile but I just don't see it happening for some reason.  I really would love to sign him, but it doesn't seem he really wants to leave.  I dunno, I guess we will see.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm

if he could get fit, would anyone here take woodgate on a "pay as you play" deal? he's been released by spurs. :oops:

also seen that garrido from man city is available on a free. i'd take him anyday of the week for the left back slot.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion