A case for the defence - Major overhaul?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Which left back should Liverpool go for?

Jose Enrique

Experienced in the Premier League and has vastly improved since his first season in the top flight with Newcastle, the Spaniard has also spoken of moving to a new club. With his contract up at the end of next season, it has been said that the Magpies are willing to cash in on the left back this summer rather than lose him for nothing. Could cost between £6-12m.

Emilio Izaguirre

The Honduran left back has played well for Celtic this season, although he is still unproven at the highest level. Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley compared the defender favourably to his Welsh team mate Gareth Bale and Celtic boss Neil Lennon will not be letting the player without a fight.

Fabio Coentrao

A very talented attacking full back who has excelled for club and country over the last two years since being converted from being a left winger. Still primarily a full back more comfortable going forward than defensively, but with his pace, skill and threatening crosses, he is attracting interest from teams such as Real Madrid as well as Liverpool. Could cost between £25-30m.

Taye Taiwo

The former Marseille captain and Nigerian international is only still 25 but already has a great deal of experience. The full back’s contract is up in the summer and he will be available on a free transfer. Taiwo has said his agent is already talking with a number of big clubs over a move away from the Stade Velodrome.

Michel Bastos

More of  a left winger, than a full back, the Brazilian has however been linked with Liverpool in recent days in the French media. Bastos has played in the left back position for Brazil but he is more confident in the final third where he can produce spectacular long range shots.

http://live4liverpool.com/2011....-go-for
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anti-hero » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 pm

i'd say of the lot, Taiwo sounds like the best bet.

he's available on a free, and has bags of experience. even though its in the french league, he did after all captain marseille. and he's different to the other full backs in this list with regards to him being a more traditional defender. he's not as attack minded as coentrao and bastos and that might not be such a bad thing.

plus he's the most athletic out of all these players. heck we could probably play him in the centre in emergency situations because he's that physical of a player.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:08 am

I'd like Jose Enrique, solid at the back and good going forward. He'll only have one year on his contract left in the summer so we should be able to get him on the cheap
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ethanr » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:02 am

Bastos and Izaguirre sound a bit more attacking, a lot like Johnson actually.  If we can get our club to start playing strong enough that we want our RB and LB attacking, either one could be great.  If not tho, we will have similar problems that we have with Johnson.

Coentrao would probably be my first pick, but not at that price, so I'd say he's probably off the list.

Taiwo and Enrique could both be great options.  Taiwo, being free would be a great capture, but so much competition for him may make it hard to land him at a non-champions league club.  Enrique has a lot of competition as well, and I'm not fully convinced he'd be willing to leave St. James.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby PabloMedina28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 am

Needs a complete makeover in the summer

RB -  Johnson and Kelly 2 fight it out

CD -  We need 5 CD in our squad
        Retire Carra, Sell Soto, Skrtel and Agger (2 many injurys)
        Buy 3 of Kjaer, Sakho, Subotic, Jones, Musacchio and Promote Wilson and Wisdom

LB -   Sell Konchesky Aurielo and Insua
         Buy 2 of Coentrao, Cissokho, Santon
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 am

stmichael wrote:
red till i die!! wrote:i dont think johnson has a future in our defense,i know he has played a few games at lb and done well but he also played some excellent games for us at rb too.its his defending thats the problem and ive said it before that he should be deployed on the rw in favour of kuyt or gerrard.

johnson is never a right winger. he thrives in the 3-5-2 system as a wing back. he'll never be an orthodox winger in a 4-4-2.

anyway claims of his inability to defend is laughably over-exaggerated at times. left back is a far bigger issue for us as we haven't had a proper decent fit option since riise's demise. it's been a joke position in recent years. we should be looking at this izaguerre chap from celtic.

Add to that RW and LW aswell. Since ive been a supporter (when you consider how big of a club we are) the list of wingers have been laughable. I can honestly say weve not had 1 great out and out winger in 20 odd years.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Izaguerre was absolute quality again last night I thought. A beacon of light in what was otherwise a cr@p night for football in general.

His energy levels down that left hand side are ridiculous.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

red till i die!! wrote:wilson looks like he can be a player similar to agger but was exposed yesterday due to his naievity and inexperience for the second goal so i would like to see him in a more central role alongside agger.

Well that's the key. After all he is a centre back by trade although he can cover as a left back as we've seen recently. Long term I expect him to be bedded in as a permanent replacement for Carra when he finally hangs his boots up.

Just a question, would you have Carragher as a regular starter? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Aussie Style » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 am

Mathias Jorgensen of FC Copenhagen looked good against Chelsea. 6'3, 20 years old and he was easily coping with Drogba. First time I've ever seen him mind you but looked impressive.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Aussie Style wrote:Mathias Jorgensen of FC Copenhagen looked good against Chelsea. 6'3, 20 years old and he was easily coping with Drogba. First time I've ever seen him mind you but looked impressive.

No Copenhagen player looked impressive in that kit :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

stmichael wrote:Which left back should Liverpool go for?

Jose Enrique

Experienced in the Premier League and has vastly improved since his first season in the top flight with Newcastle, the Spaniard has also spoken of moving to a new club. With his contract up at the end of next season, it has been said that the Magpies are willing to cash in on the left back this summer rather than lose him for nothing. Could cost between £6-12m.

Emilio Izaguirre

The Honduran left back has played well for Celtic this season, although he is still unproven at the highest level. Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley compared the defender favourably to his Welsh team mate Gareth Bale and Celtic boss Neil Lennon will not be letting the player without a fight.

Fabio Coentrao

A very talented attacking full back who has excelled for club and country over the last two years since being converted from being a left winger. Still primarily a full back more comfortable going forward than defensively, but with his pace, skill and threatening crosses, he is attracting interest from teams such as Real Madrid as well as Liverpool. Could cost between £25-30m.

Taye Taiwo

The former Marseille captain and Nigerian international is only still 25 but already has a great deal of experience. The full back’s contract is up in the summer and he will be available on a free transfer. Taiwo has said his agent is already talking with a number of big clubs over a move away from the Stade Velodrome.

Michel Bastos

More of  a left winger, than a full back, the Brazilian has however been linked with Liverpool in recent days in the French media. Bastos has played in the left back position for Brazil but he is more confident in the final third where he can produce spectacular long range shots.

http://live4liverpool.com/2011....-go-for

from that list I would definitely pick Taiwo, looked really good against the Mancs.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm

Totally agree.

I want solid defenders.
It is the wingers job to do the flair and creativity stuff and the defenders to defend!

Fullbacks should not cost more than £5 million as the money is better spent elsewhere. There are many solid fullbacks out the if you don't demand that attacking flair.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:23 pm

The hoofing from the back last night was taking to new levels. I know they may not have had a creative influence to play it to in the middles of the park but it was criminal to watch a times. Carroll in the side without Gerrard/Suarez just gives the defence an excuse and it's not acceptable.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby PabloMedina28 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Needs a total makerover, Kellys the only player im 100% behind keeping. Johnson needs better centre defenders to get the best out of him as all attacking full backs need, Carras a spent force, Agger is injuried far too much and the rest are :censored:. Id actually bring back Insua as back up LB.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:03 am

We just need to reinforce our CBs, we need two more imo as Skrtel and Agger are really the only ones I would like to see consistently right now.  Carra has got to stop being first choice next season full stop.  That and our LB situation is really bad, the only spot we're doing well in is RB.  I could see Kelly possibly being moved to the middle though next season with Glen back on the right and a new LB.  We'd basically be getting another CB and I think Kelly would be better than Carra and Soto.  He would also be filling in for Glen on the right if injured/rested and Carra would just slot back into CB for those matches.  At the very least we need two new defenders this summer, CB and LB.
Zidane

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion