Uk referendam on your whole system

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 am

Gordon Brown is pushing a change to your whole method of voting.

Basically, an MP needs over 50% support so if canditate A gets 40% and canditate B gets 35% and canditate C gets 25% then canditate C gets eliminated and then they look to whether the people that voted for canditate C would prefer A or B so if B  gets 16% second choice and B only gets 9% then B wins the seat.

It seems more fare to me. Labour have a big majority but nearly two thirds of voters didn't want them.

I'd prefer a system where if a party won 30% of the vote they'd win close to 30% of the seats. The downside is that the governments need coalitions.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 am

They can try to change whatever methods they like it wont make a jot of difference. People are just plain fed up with all the mp's we have and so decided not to vote as it doesnt matter who we vote for. They are all the same. The problem is getting people to vote in the first place. This system will fail miserably as those who do vote, if their choice is eliminated, why the hell would they vote for someone else? All this would do is entice more disillusionment amongst the voters.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Nothing to do with the referendum per say, but I hope all that hot air of exchanging the Pound for the Euro has stopped. Countries like Spain, Portugual and Greece and in debts of Billions and each individual country can do feck all with their interest rates as thats commanded buy some French banker for the Euro as a whole. The interest rate is the countries first line of defence in helping an economy all the countries who have the Euro don't have that anymore as its governed by some tw@t elsewhere. The Euro is feck! I read that it is so bad now, that it can drag the UK back into a recession with it because the Euro's are resisting buying our export at a high price in comparison. Also I read that some countries in the future may break away from the shackles of the Euro and go back to an independent currency.

Long live the Pound!
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Big Niall wrote:Gordon Brown is pushing a change to your whole method of voting.

Basically, an MP needs over 50% support so if canditate A gets 40% and canditate B gets 35% and canditate C gets 25% then canditate C gets eliminated and then they look to whether the people that voted for canditate C would prefer A or B so if B  gets 16% second choice and B only gets 9% then B wins the seat.

It seems more fare to me. Labour have a big majority but nearly two thirds of voters didn't want them.

I'd prefer a system where if a party won 30% of the vote they'd win close to 30% of the seats. The downside is that the governments need coalitions.

and that is a really big downside because you end up with crackpot parties like for example the BNP having a real say in policy making. :sniffle
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:34 pm

made in UK wrote:Nothing to do with the referendum per say, but I hope all that hot air of exchanging the Pound for the Euro has stopped. Countries like Spain, Portugual and Greece and in debts of Billions and each individual country can do feck all with their interest rates as thats commanded buy some French banker for the Euro as a whole. The interest rate is the countries first line of defence in helping an economy all the countries who have the Euro don't have that anymore as its governed by some tw@t elsewhere. The Euro is feck! I read that it is so bad now, that it can drag the UK back into a recession with it because the Euro's are resisting buying our export at a high price in comparison. Also I read that some countries in the future may break away from the shackles of the Euro and go back to an independent currency.

Long live the Pound!

I'd like to see the UK leave the EU, it's just a drain of money anyway, obviously still be in in EFTA like the independent countries Norway and Switzerland. I think that makes more sense for the UK.
heimdall

Postby made in UK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm

heimdall wrote:
made in UK wrote:Nothing to do with the referendum per say, but I hope all that hot air of exchanging the Pound for the Euro has stopped. Countries like Spain, Portugual and Greece and in debts of Billions and each individual country can do feck all with their interest rates as thats commanded buy some French banker for the Euro as a whole. The interest rate is the countries first line of defence in helping an economy all the countries who have the Euro don't have that anymore as its governed by some tw@t elsewhere. The Euro is feck! I read that it is so bad now, that it can drag the UK back into a recession with it because the Euro's are resisting buying our export at a high price in comparison. Also I read that some countries in the future may break away from the shackles of the Euro and go back to an independent currency.

Long live the Pound!

I'd like to see the UK leave the EU, it's just a drain of money anyway, obviously still be in in EFTA like the independent countries Norway and Switzerland. I think that makes more sense for the UK.

Agreed Heimy.
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:39 pm

made in UK wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Long live the Pound!

Agreed Heimy.

hang on a second, YOU agree with ME. Wow miracles do happen.    :D
heimdall

Postby made in UK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:43 pm

heimdall wrote:
made in UK wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Long live the Pound!

Agreed Heimy.

Its seems you understand and know more about the economy than football.  :D
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:50 pm

made in UK wrote:
heimdall wrote:
made in UK wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Long live the Pound!

Agreed Heimy.

Its seems you understand and know more about the economy than football.  :D

I know about everything and I see it as my job to educate the rest of you, but I'm meeting with much opposition.  :D
heimdall

Postby Boocity » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:57 pm

All you would get is people putting their preference for one of the mainstream parties first and then their other choices would be fringe parties, like, Green, BNP, UKIP, Monster Raving Looney etc and you would get some right weirdos in parliament

Brown knows his time is up and its just another example of him trying everything to cling to power. If Labour were steaming ahead in the polls to get another term, do you honestly think he would be pushing this, of course not.

I prefer first past the post then you should get a pretty stable government.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Boocity wrote:All you would get is people putting their preference for one of the mainstream parties first and then their other choices would be fringe parties, like, Green, BNP, UKIP, Monster Raving Looney etc and you would get some right weirdos in parliament

Brown knows his time is up and its just another example of him trying everything to cling to power. If Labour were steaming ahead in the polls to get another term, do you honestly think he would be pushing this, of course not.

Good post.
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Boocity wrote:All you would get is people putting their preference for one of the mainstream parties first and then their other choices would be fringe parties, like, Green, BNP, UKIP, Monster Raving Looney etc and you would get some right weirdos in parliament

I agree, first past the post is not perfect but it's far better than proportional representation.
heimdall

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm

hang on, does it matter which minister get the most votes or get into Parliament? the PM himself has the power to dismiss them if they dont share his views or his policies. like how a fair number of ministers left when Blair sent troops to Iraq without consulting them. so basically, it gives the chance for other parties to have representatives hence Parliament would be more diversified but it really doesnt solve the problem at all. right?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Big Niall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:07 pm

It wouldn't work that way. It would be the other way round. Somebody might vote the BNP as their number 1 choice and Labour as number 2, if the BNP guy gets the lowest first choice preferences then he gets knocked out, and they look at the number 2 choices of his supporters.

The concept is that if this person can't have who they really want in power,  which of the bigger parties is the lesser evil.

The system isn't quite PR which we have in Ireland, that has a district of 5 times more people than the UK ones but there are 5 seats in the area and the main parties will probably have 2 or 3 canditates so you might get 2 Labour,2 conservative and 1 Lib dem to represent one area.

I know what you mean about strong government but something just doesn't seem right that barely 30% of people that voted, voted Labour but they got a big  majority.

I agree that Labour had no interest in it when they were popular though.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:hang on, does it matter which minister get the most votes or get into Parliament? the PM himself has the power to dismiss them if they dont share his views or his policies. like how a fair number of ministers left when Blair sent troops to Iraq without consulting them. so basically, it gives the chance for other parties to have representatives hence Parliament would be more diversified but it really doesnt solve the problem at all. right?

The prime minister cannot dismiss an MP though and it is the MPs that vote to go for war. The cabinet could theoretically all support a war but if the MPs don't vote for it in the house of commons then they cannot go to war.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum