This boring old f@rts........ - Annual plea for peace

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:52 pm

The forum is definately going through a lull which mirrors the teams performance at the moment. It seems to happen once in a while, and like the team everyone finds their form again and all is well.

Not only is there too much abuse and belittlement flying around, but the debate which is actually about football lacks the insight of previous times. I appreciate that not everyone wants to get involved in the intricacies of tactics and the rest, but these days those that do are at best swamped in a sea of one liners and interforum squabbles between various members, or at worst shouted down themselves for daring to have an opinion which could possibly contradict the manager.

Those that like Kuyt are slagged, those that don't are derided, those who are pro-styling laughed at, anti's shot down and so it goes on. There is barely a thread on here which manages these days to stay on the topic of football, where posts are about football and not about some petty rivalry. Posters compain about opposing factions "talking sh!te" and then when a post is put out there explaining a stance on a particular subject, are reluctant to engage in any discussion. People question whether other posters opinions are to be taken seriously or not based on their nationality, their sexuality, their coaching experience etc without actually taking the time to state what their own opinion is, what it is based on and how they've formed it.

"Kuyt is sh!t" "No he isn't, you're sh!t" is all very well for a while, but why don't more people explain why they think he's worthy of a starting berth, or not worthy of the shirt etc etc? The forum swings wildly from siude to side on players, various members taking an early stance on a footballer and then defending their position regardless to whats happening on the pitch. Dogma rules and reasonable debate is stifled.

I know some will say "well feck me your the worst for it" and perhaps they're right. Dossena for example I've pretty much made my mind up about, but I have said that "based on what I've seen so far" that I think he's not either a) a good enough, quick enough or resourceful enough player to make a top-class attacking full-back in this country, and b) not a good enough defender to be considered an exceptionally solid one either. My conclusion is that I think we've overpaid for what is a decent left-back, no more no less. I do though very much hope he has more in his locker and proves me wrong. Dogmatic? maybe but at least there's room for debate.

Similarly, Rierra. He made an impression on me at Man City as a foreign player who was unsuited to English football. He didn't look to me as if he had the stomach for the fight, and as such I wouldn't be buying him for 9 million quid. Once more though, I freely admit to never seeing him kick a ball in Spain, and wait in anticipation to be proven wrong.

My point is I guess, a plea if you like, is that people debate the football more than their interforum rivalries. When they do, we might start to get some quality posters back on here. I haven't seen Leon post for ages which is a loss to the forum even though he gets under peoples skin sometimes, JBG very occasionally contributes and instantly lifts the quality by 10%, Ian (Dalglish) made a fleeting appearance the other night and did the same, while another of the moderators (Red) used to illuminate the boards wioth his literary ramblings and alternative viewpoints. I did a post the other day, (quite a long one sorry) and came back five minutes later and there'd been 14 more posts since mine. None of them though even referred to the debate in hand, they were one line put downs between three people. It buries the thread in a pile of pap and makes it a bit boring (me of all people saying that should bring it home).

Anyway, like the team, hopefully it's a blip not a bliiiiiiiiiiiiiip and we're all back to our most fluent and rhythmic best soon.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 pm

It's a good shout Bigmick. Most of the points you ask are available in an open reminder post opened by the mods, but perhaps it's a good time to remember everybody that we come here to discuss footie and that we are all reds.

And I have a gift for you mate, Riera is will not cost 9M quid, but 9M €, which is slightly better for us.

P.S. Ooops, the open reminder isn't there any more, so even better that you posted that.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:05 pm

Agreed 100% mick , and just to add. Milner was in Liverpool today having talks apparently. Just what some posters with good sources are saying over on rawk . Riera on the left and Milner on the right , now there's some width for yer, wether they'll be good enough for LFC i don't know ,but i think we should give them a fair crack.

Completely off topic i know ,but i put alot of it down to it being a long old transfer window ,with not the most of exciting signings and the team not playing well but winning, and of course Rafa not rotating nearly enough. :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Well said, Mick...someone should make you a moderator! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Well said, Mick...someone should make you a moderator! :D

:D  :laugh: Not on your fecking life Bob, life on the backbenches suits me fine thanks.  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Sorry Mick, my post was meant more as a joke, not as a one line put down mate. I was still in happy clappy mode after our win and got carried away.
account deleted by request

Postby Scottbot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Kindly keep the posts in this thread to a minimum of 5 lines please people.....

:D
Last edited by Scottbot on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DLS » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:42 pm

grow a pair of balls mick, it's no fun without a bit of aggro. I know more than most :;): Nah this forum isn't a touch on the other one I use. Too many people look for the slightest excuse to complain.

By the way folks, Mick knows what I mean and knows the reason behind my idiotic posts.
DLS

Postby rafa09 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Mick i,agree and while were at it ,can we have a pessimist corner for all the GLORYHUNTERS that attached themselves to this GREAT CLUB.After istanbul.Ihave seen such a groundswell in recent years.As once said by the great french philophisor mr houiller .in the word supporters is the word SUPPORT!!seagull,s trawlers etc etc . it,s a freNCH THING!!!!!BUT HE HAD A POINT :pirate  :kungfu:
rafa09

Postby red37 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:39 pm

bigmick wrote:People question whether other posters opinions are to be taken seriously or not based on their nationality, their sexuality, their coaching experience

their.....style of writing    :Oo:

(btw that 'reminder' is atop the Introductions section Sabre)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby DLS » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 pm

right Mick, I've actually taken the time to read your post, just skimmed over it and the earlier posts before, but after reading it I can see your viewpoint is very much like that of the other person I pm'd the other day. His words were "this forum is going to the dogs" from what I've seen in my short spell back on here he's spot on.

I haven't helped since me return but I genuinely don't see the point in people trying to make this place any better now. It's all to :censored:. Too many personal battles spoiling discussions. I do feel sorry for the moderators (for once) because they can't delete every single post that is just a scrap. 1) It'd take up too much of their time 2) They wouldn't be able to contribute in a constructive way because they'd be too busy 3) It wouldn't stop the petty squabbling and 4) why should they bother trying to keep this place half decent when there's a good few who don't want to.

Like I said earlier this place isn't a patch on the other forum I use, although when this place was rocking and I wasn't being purposely awkward just to get on people's tits, this was nearly as good. Only say nearly because of a few of the more technical points. But this place could be rocking again, if there was a cull. If, whoever runs this place, took a stance and said "yes you're actually constructive, you can stay" and "no you don't offer anything but conflict." I don't know who has that say but without being big headed when I was serious on this place I was constructive. I might not have agreed with a fair few and may have said so in no uncertain terms but that's because I don't have the use of words as some. My vocabulary is very basic at times, and swearing is second nature to me. I don't use it to be big or clever, it's just natural. A lot of times I let my passion get the better of me and that'd kick me off. After a defeat or poor performance I'd be so wound up I'd type :censored: because of the frustration in me.

But this place has gone down hill since last Christmas time where it was alright. I do think to pick it back up to where it should be, you need to freshen it up. Be a lot stricter with people, delete accounts that don't offer anything (mine included if past records are anything to go by) set in stone a new system where anybody looking for trouble is removed. I'm not saying have a forum where people all agree, there'd be no point in that, but one where people can explain themselves without the fear of being shot down. For me the easiest thing to do is use the restricted area a whole lot more and if it is possible take that privlage away from someone who is here to cause trouble. That way you know it's people who have proven their worth to the forum, people who have that ability to express themselves without hauling abuse at the same time and it'll make up for a much better debate. One other thing because I'm not going to lay blame all on those who just want to argue. There's a few on here who just want to crack jokes and actually post nothing constructively about Liverpool Football Club, they also ruin threads and it annoys people. Yes there's a time and a place for light hearted banter and you obviously don't want to make it into a school like forum, but some people would rather be thought of as funny than a well respected poster with an opinion you look forward to reading.

Something has to be done though and quickly because more and more people will find an alternative if it continue in this manner. I only come back to see how long I can go but also to try and post about Liverpool. Like I said, I did enjoy this place first time round then I just started acting like a :censored: because of the power trip one or two were on. It did feel like you were restricted in what you said to some people. You Mick obviously have a very clever way of biting your tongue and not reacting to the situations, I don't have that in my make up, I steam in without thinking and say what I don't agree with. I still stand by those accuastions of one or two being on power trips and really desperate just to throw their weight around but a couple of my other more silly "wind ups" were bad on my behalf.

This isn't a desperate plea for me to stay, because I couldn't give a monkeys if I do or not, but it is a plea in agreement with Mick to somehow salvage what is a very good forum. Sort it out, before you've lost every decent poster.

(sorry for the lenght, just got caught up in a BigMick mode :D )
DLS

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 pm

Well even tho i think me and Fo dne don't see eye to eye on much i wouldn't want him to have his account deleted he has a right to argue his points like any one.

Its a wierd time at liverpool FC atm and i think every one is a bit on edge and that is understandable all things considered.

Turning into a hitler type former when you have to stay in line or the threat of being wiped of the earth is a bit harsh and i feel bob does a great job keeping things in line and keeping topics with an open debate.

I think this forum has improved since last year alot gets said and alot of it makes me think isn't that a good thing ?

I think its doing ok but some areas we could tone it down some what i agree.

As with me and Fo Dne he never agrees with any thing i say i feel some times he just makes a point to wind me up but i can handle it i am big boy now.  :D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:27 am

My point is I guess, a plea if you like, is that people debate the football more than their interforum rivalries. When they do, we might start to get some quality posters back on here. I haven't seen Leon post for ages which is a loss to the forum even though he gets under peoples skin sometimes, JBG very occasionally contributes and instantly lifts the quality by 10%, Ian (Dalglish) made a fleeting appearance the other night and did the same, while another of the moderators (Red) used to illuminate the boards wioth his literary ramblings and alternative viewpoints.

The problem is, Forums. For a long time, this forum is obviously secondary, every point to raise a decent conversation is taken from another forum, RAWK being the main one. People laugh at St.Michael posting an opinion that is taken off another forum. He does it so blatantly. And yet he is always found out. He is a moderator of this forum, but even he regards other forums as better. That is nothing to do with this forums members, this forum just isnt as attractive as others. The problem is the old farts (especially me !) There are many recent members with excellent opinions but they are overlooked. Probably because there post count is low or they dont have a picture under there sign in name or because they dont have a sig. Look at Fo Dne for instance, if us old farts were not here not many people would know it was stu, or indeed give a monkeys what he says, and the chances of him being banned if the mods were not "old farts" in respect of this forum, would be high ! The problem is the competition, forum wise. This place has become, not a joke, but a haven for posters to post rubbish that they wont get away with in other forums.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 am

Annual plea for peace

You all need to remember one mantra.

"W.W.M.D"

What Would Manhattan Do?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:27 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:
Annual plea for peace

You all need to remember one mantra.

"W.W.M.D"

What Would Manhattan Do?

Ive pondered this, and not even I can "erect" a statue. Sad but true !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum