This boring old f@rts........ - Annual plea for peace

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby tonyeh » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:38 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:
Annual plea for peace

You all need to remember one mantra.

"W.W.M.D"

What Would Manhattan Do?

You better be careful with that mantra...Geroge Bush may invade you!

:;):
tonyeh

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 am

I know what your saying Mick and i agree, lets keep the personal sh!te out of it but i dont think we will ever get rid of the t!t for tat that goes on. You must agree yourself, a couple of times ive had a different opinion to you and youve then had  look round the boards for a opinion of mine to have a go at and started the post with something like "and while im at it".
But hey like you say as long as its about football and not motivated by some other fall out on a different matter then its all good mate. :)
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:33 am

I don't want to be "having a go" at the MOD's, but apart from BadBob , there doesn't seem to be much of a contribution from any of them at the moment. J.mac (one of my fav mods) seems to have disappeared with StMike, while the rest seem to pop in and out without adding much to any of the discussions, and seemingly letting the threads decend into petty infighting and abuse.

Maybe its time that a little "new blood" was added to the team.......and no I don't mean me!

I do realise that they all have other demands on their time, but I also think they have taken on the job and the responsibility, if they can't spare the time maybe they should pass the task on to someone who can?

Maybe they are all working hard behind the scenes, but thats not the impression from the outside looking in. I know I shouldn't criticise people for doing a job I am not willing to do myself, but ffs make an effort lads.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 am

I don't want to be "having a go" at the MOD's, but apart from BadBob , there doesn't seem to be much of a contribution from any of them at the moment. J.mac (one of my fav mods) seems to have disappeared with StMike, while the rest seem to pop in and out without adding much to any of the discussions, and seemingly letting the threads decend into petty infighting and abuse.

While it's true they haven't popped up publicly I think they're doing their job, I had a fight with Bamaga before my holidays and Woof dealt with the issue quite promptly and with a decent criteria -- like in football matches you don't like the decission in the very moment, but after a while you understand the decission. Red also attended to SPAM bots I reported promptly.

But even IF they didn't appear I cannot blame them, as there exists little respect to their decissions. This is like a game of football, they're the refs. If they say penalty, we cannot stop the match and ask about their decissions constantly. Sometimes they'll be wrong, like the refs, sometimes the "tv images" i.e. hindsight will show they're wrong, but that's normal because they're human. We should agree to respect their decissions. I think the lack of respect to the mod's decissions has brought many of our problems.

For instance, if they lock a thread, don't make a public debate about if they are locking threads. And if the public debate is done and a mod decides to change the mind after considering the opinions, don't tell them to make up their minds. If they do, because they do. If they don't because they don't.

No wonder Bigmick wouldn't want to touch the mod job again. Neither would I. And I suspect neither would JBG. Why? Because it tires to do a job with a good will and be told that you're a dictator and the typical nonsense.

I don't think more mods are needed (although it's debatable and a fair opinion), I think what's necessary is to accept their decissions more naturally.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 am

I'm not complaining about their decisions Sabre ....... just their lack of presence on the site. Apart from BabBob (who seems to be working his b0llocks off) I can't recall the last post I read from any of the others, apart from Red who made a brief appearance in this thread.

Postby Sabre » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:32 am

I know you weren't complaining about the decissions, I wasn't referring to you when I wrote "don't tell them to" but to everybody, in fact, the situation I describe predates 2006 when you joined, meaning, it's a very old problem (imho).
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 am

yeah mods are none existent and even when they appear they are very much one sided, your analogy with referees sabre is a bit off the mark, refs are supposed to be even handed and dish out punishment for offenders, not just dish them out to people who question their ability while ignoring worse offences from their buddies

anyway my tuppence worth and i find the best way of dealing with the tripe some people on here write is to just put them on 'ignore', i am not worried about missing an insightful post as the ones on ignore will never write one, while other posters sometimes write good posts amongst their tripe so i read theirs and respond accordingly while the mods just ignore their tripe or edit posts without carding the offender (while no doubt if me or some others wrote the same bile we would be carded)

i dont think we need more mods, i just think the ones we have need to be even handed and dish out temporary bans for racism etc.

both myself and lando have had them recently while i have seen certain posters write much worse and get away with it on a regular basis. the mods we have just need to be fair and if one person is carded for something then EVERYONE who does the sme thing should also be carded. the problem is too many people push it knowing they have a complete amnesty
112-1077774096

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am

Some interesting responses. For my part, the point of the thread (if indeed there is one, ever) is to get people to look at their own actions and own posts, as that is all they're ever really in control of. If people can possibly take a step back sometimes, even to perhaps allow an insult to land without necessarily feeling the need to respond, then the forum and the World is a better place. The sad part about it is, if the whole thing descends into name calling and petty rivalries, the whole thing becomes a bit boring and I think I can speak for pretty much everyone there.

Like I say, nobody can control what other people write, or control what moderators do, or control what opinions other people have. Everybody though, is in control of their own destiny in terms of what they write. Perhaps if we all just raised our own standards and forgot about everyone else's, it'd be cool. My resolution is to be less "know it all" sounding. Won't be easy but I'll give it a bash.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:12 am

even to perhaps allow an insult to land without necessarily feeling the need to respond, then the forum and the World is a better place

I like the new season personal resolutions idea. And in this department, I can do something about it, as there is a member I consider a serial Wind Up Merchant to which I'm in a "do not accept a single insult" mode and sometimes some threads were ruined.

My resolution for the new season is to ignore more insults.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:15 am

Sabre wrote:
even to perhaps allow an insult to land without necessarily feeling the need to respond, then the forum and the World is a better place

I like the new season personal resolutions idea. And in this department, I can do something about it, as there is a member I consider a serial Wind Up Merchant to which I'm in a "do not accept a single insult" mode and sometimes some threads were ruined.

My resolution for the new season is to ignore more insults.

Open season on insulting Sabre then  :buttrock  :D

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 am

bigmick wrote:Some interesting responses. For my part, the point of the thread (if indeed there is one, ever) is to get people to look at their own actions and own posts, as that is all they're ever really in control of. If people can possibly take a step back sometimes, even to perhaps allow an insult to land without necessarily feeling the need to respond, then the forum and the World is a better place. The sad part about it is, if the whole thing descends into name calling and petty rivalries, the whole thing becomes a bit boring and I think I can speak for pretty much everyone there.

Like I say, nobody can control what other people write, or control what moderators do, or control what opinions other people have. Everybody though, is in control of their own destiny in terms of what they write. Perhaps if we all just raised our own standards and forgot about everyone else's, it'd be cool. My resolution is to be less "know it all" sounding. Won't be easy but I'll give it a bash.

mick, only on occasions will i write more than 10 lines (you can find one in the alien thread in gen chat :D).

I much prefer to keep mine short and precise.

so with that in mind

fuck off rotationist  :D   :wwww
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 am

For me, time on forums is generally a few snatched ten minutes sessions throughout the working day and maybe a couple of nights a week limited to an hour or so. Work constraints (selling a phone and a blackberry once a week now peewee) have made it this way for the last 18 - 24 months.

When this limited time is taken up, its in this order:

1) reading moaning PM's/report to moderators posts
2) checking the mods section to see if the issue has been dealt with
3) dealing with an issue and letting the otehr lads know
4) skimming the active threads for any issues
5) dealing with issues/duplications etc
6) reading the interesting topics
6) posting my own thoughts on stuff

So as you can see theres little or no time to be active and the moderator role becomes all consuming.

Added to this, my usual self (narky sarky fuc.ker) has to "curb" it a little and cant respond to stuff with one liners like I usually would cus then your moaned at and a bad moderator.

Sadly as a mod, your damned if you do, and damned if you dont. I am sure anyone who has done so before will agree with me here.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:57 am

agreed leon

apart from naming peewee
Last edited by Judge on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. 08 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:03 am

Fighting, on this place? Nah, couldn't be, cant be. :laugh:

Problems on this forum have existed since the wheel was invented. We go through it every year. Systematically there is a period of the year when everyone is on menopause collectively.
A.B. 08

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

apparantly august is renowned for bad feeling
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum