Rafa benitez appreciation thread - Part 2

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 pm

The Echo is running this as well as part of their new subscription service  :laugh: The have quickly cottoned on that the fans accept being fleeced by FSG and that they just had to get in on the act  :nod . That's why this is all useless drivel from a (W)banker that has no relevance now.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:47 pm

To be fair Broughton did an okay job of standing up to H&G but he says Rafa was acting weird and didn't want to speak to him? What did he expect? Practically every suit at the club wanted Rafa gone. Who could blame Rafa for assuming Broughton was another one of those suit's?
Rafa is a genuine legend of this club, truly one of the greats.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:47 pm wrote:To be fair Broughton did an okay job of standing up to H&G but he says Rafa was acting weird and didn't want to speak to him? What did he expect? Practically every suit at the club wanted Rafa gone. Who could blame Rafa for assuming Broughton was another one of those suit's?

I have a real problem with this. Our club was destabilized on something as fickle as that? It became about Broughton and not the club. Managers are emotional and perhaps irrational but they are good at football and he should have known that, as well the club was in turmoil so he should have been more forgiving and able to think about the big picture, not his ego. We lost years by losing Rafa and I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with the money a new owner wanting to impress the fans would have given him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:16 pm

kazza » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:47 pm wrote:To be fair Broughton did an okay job of standing up to H&G but he says Rafa was acting weird and didn't want to speak to him? What did he expect? Practically every suit at the club wanted Rafa gone. Who could blame Rafa for assuming Broughton was another one of those suit's?

I have a real problem with this. Our club was destabilized on something as fickle as that? It became about Broughton and not the club. Managers are emotional and perhaps irrational but they are good at football and he should have known that, as well the club was in turmoil so he should have been more forgiving and able to think about the big picture, not his ego. We lost years by losing Rafa and I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with the money a new owner wanting to impress the fans would have given him.

The season Rafa was sacked our financial situation meant that he had a depleted squad but even so he still managed to finish 7th on 63 points. To put that into perspective that points total has only been bettered once in the 7 years since his departure (by Brendan the year we finished second).
Apart from Roy the managers who have followed Rafa have all had a few bob to spend as well, in fact the clubs transfer record has been broken twice in those 7 years.
Rafa' time at the club probably had come to a natural end, all the infighting had left him looking somewhat tired and jaded, but it just goes to show how magnificent a job he did when successive managers (with money to spend) have struggled to match even his worst season when he had his hands tied behind his back.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:17 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:16 pm wrote:
kazza » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm wrote:

The season Rafa was sacked our financial situation meant that he had a depleted squad but even so he still managed to finish 7th on 63 points. To put that into perspective that points total has only been bettered once in the 7 years since his departure (by Brendan the year we finished second).
Apart from Roy the managers who have followed Rafa have all had a few bob to spend as well, in fact the clubs transfer record has been broken twice in those 7 years.
Rafa' time at the club probably had come to a natural end, all the infighting had left him looking somewhat tired and jaded, but it just goes to show how magnificent a job he did when successive managers (with money to spend) have struggled to match even his worst season when he had his hands tied behind his back.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure mate. Let me preface it by saying I do think he's a liverpool legend and I'm a big fan of his... but the man had his flaws. If we look at Europe alone then what you say is quite accurate. What he achieved in Europe was unbelievable. He constantly punched above his weight. He beat the likes of Chelsea, Real, Barca, Milan, etc etc etc. But his flaws are his performance in the league. Considering he had Gerard in his prime, one of the top 3 footballers in the world then, he had Torres (abit later in 2007) one of the most dangerous and up can coming strikers in the world, he had Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Carra, Agger, Hyppia. This team should have challenged for the title more than once and probably should have win it all. He tinkered and rotated the squad too much. Back then I was defending him no end about his rotation. But at the end of his tenure, I accepted that that was his flaw, that the criticisms were justified. He also failed to address the wide players. The team was a bit unbalanced. We had a very strong spine yet there is no creative at the wide areas. There were no skillful creative players like Coutinho. It was the opposite problem of what we have now. In the end I accepted that he may not be the right manager to win the league. But he might us gotten us more Champions League trophies if he stayed on.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 am

Hear what your saying Mags about our squad during Rafa tenure. Though I would like to point out this was also same era where Roman's roubles we're buying players that rotted in the chav's reserve team who could have into any other squad.
There was also huge gulf between so called giant teams and the rest of the league back then. Thankfully that has now evened out somewhat in recent years. Whichdoes make it easier today with clubs dropping unexpected points.
Rafa will always be a legend not just for what he did but who he did it against
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Love the man and delighted he's back in the Premiership with Newcastle, If he gets the financial backing I'd put money on Newcastle securing Europa League football or even better next season.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 07, 2017 12:34 pm

As things stand (Newcastle 1 up against Barnsley, Brighton drawing 0-0 at Villa) Rafa will win the championship.
Still an hour to go and 1 goal for Brighton or Barnsley would change things but even so it would be a great achievement if Rafa can do it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Congrats to Rafa, a last minute Villa equaliser against Brighton means that Newcastle are champions.
The championship is not an easy league to win so that's yet another feather in the great man's cap.
:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Well played Rafa they deserved to win the championship.
He will do well in the premiership if given adequate funds to spend.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 pm wrote:Congrats to Rafa, a last minute Villa equaliser against Brighton means that Newcastle are champions.
The championship is not an easy league to win so that's yet another feather in the great man's cap.

Great to see Rafa getting the love and respect he deserves, I love the fact he went down with the ship and brought it back up again!

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue May 09, 2017 12:12 pm

fivecups » Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 pm wrote:Congrats to Rafa, a last minute Villa equaliser against Brighton means that Newcastle are champions.

Great to see Rafa getting the love and respect he deserves, I love the fact he went down with the ship and brought it back up again!

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock

Amen to that, always will be a class act
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:58 pm

In this thread I see lots of respect towards Rafa Benitez. In Spain he has lost most of the respect he earned more than a decade ago. He was destroyed in Madrid, meaning the worst stick you could read here it would be kind towards Rafa in Spain. More often than not what Rafa gets these days in Spain are jokes and gifs about him eating too much in twitter. Little respect towards his football, let alone considering him important.

And that's ok and is one of the reasons Liverpool FC is a better club than Real Madrid. The former takes care of their people, the latter buys and dumps people. Liverpool FC people know their history and where they come from, Real Madrid has no soul, and those in Madrid who remember the days they had a soul are in their sixties. Rafa was raised in Madrid, but I think that if someone asked him what's his home he'd say Liverpool.

Klopp gave Liverpool FC crowd another night they won't forget and he'll be remembered for that. But credit for the club, a helmsperson cannot go anywhere without a good vessel.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Hey Sabre !

Good post mate

Great to see you're still checking in to the forum.

More posts from our man in Spain would be most appreciated    :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Why does Rafa get slated so much at Madrid? He didn't do that bad when he was in charge. 3 losses in 25 games and also i remember under him they were scoring a lot of goals.

According to wiki

"A the time of his dismissal, Real were third in La Liga, four points behind leaders Atlético Madrid and two points behind arch-rivals Barcelona,"
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion