Rafa benitez appreciation thread - Part 2

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Who City?

I think it would be great if City went for Rafa. Proven in Europe and exactly what they could use. I doubt most Liverpool fans would blink an eye lid as so many wanted him out before... right?  :laugh:

Would serve us fkn right if he went to City. To think we went for Hodgsen. Still gives me shudders now.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Come on lakes it's time to spill the beans - what exactly did Rafa do that hurt you so bad
Benny The Noon

Postby laza » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 am

Good luck to Rafa where ever he goes except if its Everton

As for a Bobby ManC getting the chop one year after bringing title to blue half of Manchester just another example of why I despise Sugar daddy owners
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 am

Still amazes me how underrated Rafa is, mainly in England.  This week will be his 4th European cup final in 10 years, bearing in mind he was out of work for 2 of those years and also got to a few semi's etc. 

Done a great job with Valencia, done really well with us despite the worst owners in our history, wasn't given much of a chance at Inter although they weren't doing great to be fair and has done a steady job at Chelsea under very difficult circumstances.

Not quite sure why he doesn't seem to get the same level of respect as Jose, Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti etc
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:51 am

Benny The Noon » Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 pm wrote:Come on lakes it's time to spill the beans - what exactly did Rafa do that hurt you so bad

im mt view he never tried to build a team to win the prem, only ever to win the CL. he always has it in his head that if you are playing a smaller team you dont need to work on that game to beat them and would often not take training for them games then shocked that we lost them (something jamie carragher spoke up about), he was too predictable as a manager with his 60 min subs.
he stuck with players that he got to save face (Fernando Morientes)

he is a great guy but my fear when he come here was that he was not the man to win us the prem, he filled the team with Spanish players and other players that did not understand that you still have to win games on a sunday morning in the rain at a small club you have never heard of.

i see sky are trying to link him to the Man city job now.....i think he would be great there. they will sack him after two years but that going to be the same for any manager that takes that job.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Yet Rafa was our most successful manager in the last 20 years - his record speaks for itself.

You say he didnt build a team for the prem yet got us closer than anyone had in the previous 20 years

Spanish players ? Like Pepe , Xabi , Torres , Garcia , Arbeloa.

You were pretty much against him during every step of his management
Benny The Noon

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

as i say this club should be built to with the prem...end of.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 pm

The club is built to compete on all fronts. If anything our reputation went through the roof because of the success in the European Cup

Rafa got closer to winning the prem than any other manager in the last 23 years

So what exactly was wrong with buying those Spanish players.

I guess you would have preffered either Curbishly or O Neill at the time

I'm also unsure how you can think that Rafa wouldn't concentrate on the league before he took over (after winning the league title twice in 3 years at Valencia )
Benny The Noon

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 pm

he never saw the prem as the big prize and onlys had his eyes on winning the CL as the big prize.

at the time José Mourinho, it was clear that Gérard Houllier was coming to an end, lost for ideas.
we was very close to having José Mourinho untill Chelsea  flashed the cash.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 am

lakes10 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 pm wrote:he never saw the prem as the big prize and onlys had his eyes on winning the CL as the big prize.

at the time José Mourinho, it was clear that Gérard Houllier was coming to an end, lost for ideas.

Lucky escape for us then

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 am

babu » Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 am wrote:
lakes10 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 pm wrote:he never saw the prem as the big prize and onlys had his eyes on winning the CL as the big prize.

Lucky escape for us then

will say that at the time i did not know much about his love fot himself lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

lakes10 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 pm wrote:he never saw the prem as the big prize and onlys had his eyes on winning the CL as the big prize.

He actually prioritised the competitions he thought we could challenge for whilst trying to build squads to challenge on all fronts.

We were trying to compete against moneybags Chelsea and it was going to take a few seasons of buying quality players to get a squad good and deep enough to challenge for the prem whilst still challenging for the CL

We were getting very close with the buys if players like Torres ( one of the Spanish players you have dismissed ) etc until the owners started to take money away to pay off debts. Unfortunately he was hounded out by owners ( with certain fans backing them ) and never got the chance to continue.
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Many times Rafa drove me nuts BUT he put us firmly back in a seat at the top table of world football. Maybe we didn't win the prem under him, so what ? I don't Fu*king care, some of the European nights under Rafa were absolutely phenomenal and that one night in Istanbul makes him ( and the team back then) an absolute legend.

Don't know what we might have gone to achieve had he stayed with us, never any guarantees with Rafa and maybe a change was due (?) but for my money he was and still is one of the most "savvy" managers around.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:49 pm

what job would be best for him...man city or Everton?
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm

lakes10 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:49 pm wrote:what job would be best for him...man city or Everton?

Right now I'm wondering what job would be best for you

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion