Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:16 pm

stmichael wrote:
john craig wrote:Top scorer in the French league last season

where have i heard that before? :oops:

true :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm

If a veteran player takes care of his body properly, he can reach easily to a 35 years career.

Proof

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=16jhd6r6bz.jpg
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Sabre wrote:If a veteran player takes care of his body properly, he can reach easily to a 35 years career.

Proof

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=16jhd6r6bz.jpg

damn, and i stopped smoking almost two years ago
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:39 pm

stmichael wrote:Can somebody please explain to me how the f#ck Pauleta has scored 46 goals in 86 games for Portugal? The guy makes Sean Dundee look like Robbie Fowler. Last night was proof that a team can have all the width in the world, but a sh#t striker still won't score goals regardless of how good the service is.

I don't know what it is with him in big tournaments tbh, he's always struggled, bar a hat-trick against Poland in 2002.

I would have seen more of him than anyone on this forum I would guess, and he always looks brilliant in the qualifiers but struggles against good sides. He has a very good first touch, and his movement is good (he makes good runs and has good anticipation). His finishing is also very reasonable.

He likes playing up front on his own, and this is ok against lesser sides, but when Portugal come up against good defensive sides they struggle to score goals. This happened against France, where they had a lot of possession but didn't really create many clear chances.

Pauleta isn't quite good enough to play up front on his own against the top sides, and I think perhaps if he had a partner like Nuno Gomes it would help him against the better sides.

To be fair to him today he was up against Thuram and Gallas, who both did an excellent job on him, there were a few occasions where Figo and Ronaldo got dangerous balls into the box, only for Thuram to just get in front of Pauleta with his body strength and clear. There was lasso one occasion where he pulled away from one of France's centre-halves, only for Deco to stuff up the through ball, had he got it right (it wasn't that difficult a pass), Pauleta is in one-on-one with Barthez.

He’s a good striker, but unfortunately not quite good enough on the big stage against top quality opposition, if Portugal had a Luca Toni or RVN in their side they would come damn close to winning the World Cup.

The Sean Dundee comment is rubbish, although I know it was said in jest. He’s scored some incredible goals for Portugal in his time, both with his feet and head, and has arguably been the best striker in France for many seasons with Bordeaux and now PSG. 

47 goals in 86 appearances means he’s doing something right, and that is a record most strikers would be proud of. European qualification is never easy, and there are top class strikers coming up against the same calibre opposition as Portugal is facing, yet Pauleta is always one of the leading goalscorers in qualifying. He’s a good player, not world class, but certainly good enough to play at the highest level.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:04 pm

There was contact but Henry could have stayed on his feet. Most strikers would dive to win the penalty so you can't blame Henry for cheating. He has gone down in my estimation since the Barcelona game (especially his antics V Spain)

Joe Cole dived throughout whe world cup and Gerrard even dives in friendlies so at least admit all teams have cheats and divers.

I'm still not sure why people blame Ronaldo for Rooney being sent off - Rooney stepped on a guys nuts and then pushed Ronaldo away and surpisingly Ronaldo did NOT dive to make it look worse.

Stop trying to find a scapegoat. Ireland were knocked out in qualifiying because we are incredibly shi*e and England got knocked out becuase they are good but not good enough to go further.

A mate at work said that the BBC said that only about 2 italians would make it into the England team - if that was said then it is clear that they are either deluded or telling lies to protect the product (English football) which earns all the pundits big money.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:11 pm

Big Niall its alright saying dont make Ronaldo a scapegoat but he has done nothing but cheat and dive since he came to the prem.
I dont think any set of fans like him apart from his own.
He is a cheating diving git, along with Robben, Drogba and Carvalho.
Portugal knocking England out hasnt helped his cause but he has to be the worst diver in the prem.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Big Niall wrote:Gerrard even dives in friendlies so at least admit all teams have cheats and divers.

Maybe you need reminding that Gerrard is at least "our" diver .

There lies the difference .  :D

F'uck  Ronaldo ,don't like him in a ManU shirt so why the f'uck would i feel any different about him in a Porkancheese shirt?

He's still a kunt.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Ronaldo and Scolari slam ref

Jul 6 2006

Portugal's World Cup run ended in controversy with Cristiano Ronaldo and Luiz Felipe Scolari both blaming the referee for the 1-0 semi-final defeat by France.

The game was won by a Zinedine Zidane penalty after Thierry Henry had been caught by Ricardo Carvalho, but Portugal were denied a spot-kick of their own when Manchester United winger Ronaldo clashed with Willy Sagnol - although TV replays indicated any contact was minimal.

Ronaldo said: "He was a very bad referee and it should have been a penalty," while Scolari added: "We know South American referees and they know how to kill a game. All I can say is he was right when he granted the penalty on the French player and he made a mistake when he didn't give Portugal a penalty when Cristiano Ronaldo was fouled."

On his confrontation with the French players after the game, Scolari added: "The French players made some absurd comments about our players and our country that I cannot repeat, insane and insulting words."

------------------

Whats Scolari on about?! Ronaldo dived! Willy Sagnol barely touched him

Anyone saw Positga's dive too? it was a disgrace
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:44 pm

cheating man

or perhaps this

ronaldo the cheat
Last edited by Judge on Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
stmichael wrote:Can somebody please explain to me how the f#ck Pauleta has scored 46 goals in 86 games for Portugal? The guy makes Sean Dundee look like Robbie Fowler. Last night was proof that a team can have all the width in the world, but a sh#t striker still won't score goals regardless of how good the service is.

I don't know what it is with him in big tournaments tbh, he's always struggled, bar a hat-trick against Poland in 2002.

I would have seen more of him than anyone on this forum I would guess, and he always looks brilliant in the qualifiers but struggles against good sides. He has a very good first touch, and his movement is good (he makes good runs and has good anticipation). His finishing is also very reasonable.

He likes playing up front on his own, and this is ok against lesser sides, but when Portugal come up against good defensive sides they struggle to score goals. This happened against France, where they had a lot of possession but didn't really create many clear chances.

Pauleta isn't quite good enough to play up front on his own against the top sides, and I think perhaps if he had a partner like Nuno Gomes it would help him against the better sides.

To be fair to him today he was up against Thuram and Gallas, who both did an excellent job on him, there were a few occasions where Figo and Ronaldo got dangerous balls into the box, only for Thuram to just get in front of Pauleta with his body strength and clear. There was lasso one occasion where he pulled away from one of France's centre-halves, only for Deco to stuff up the through ball, had he got it right (it wasn't that difficult a pass), Pauleta is in one-on-one with Barthez.

He’s a good striker, but unfortunately not quite good enough on the big stage against top quality opposition, if Portugal had a Luca Toni or RVN in their side they would come damn close to winning the World Cup.

The Sean Dundee comment is rubbish, although I know it was said in jest. He’s scored some incredible goals for Portugal in his time, both with his feet and head, and has arguably been the best striker in France for many seasons with Bordeaux and now PSG. 

47 goals in 86 appearances means he’s doing something right, and that is a record most strikers would be proud of. European qualification is never easy, and there are top class strikers coming up against the same calibre opposition as Portugal is facing, yet Pauleta is always one of the leading goalscorers in qualifying. He’s a good player, not world class, but certainly good enough to play at the highest level.

Pauleta is vastly over-rated, he's looked nothing but out of his depth and that's not the first time either. Most of his goals have come from qualifiers and pointless friendlies.  :no

I'll admit he's a decent player, but ne's no where near the standard to play for a top club.

And as for Henry diving, Carlvalho left his leg dangling about and Henry fell over it, whether it is was dive or a genuine fall who knows, but I can tell you this much it was a smart move by Henry and if Gerrard had done in a big match for Liverpool or England, no one would of said anything on the matter. He got the advantage and it sent France to the final. I don't agree with cheating of any form, infact I strongly detest it but it's there, it always has been and it always will be. You've just gotta accept it.

I agree with ppl when they say they've lost a lot of respect for Henry, I have since the Champions League final, but I've also lost respect for Gerrard, but no one on here comments on Steven, I take it he's above criticism for it? I sense double standards playing apart here. :no
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:03 pm

metalhead wrote:Ronaldo and Scolari slam ref

Jul 6 2006

Portugal's World Cup run ended in controversy with Cristiano Ronaldo and Luiz Felipe Scolari both blaming the referee for the 1-0 semi-final defeat by France.

The game was won by a Zinedine Zidane penalty after Thierry Henry had been caught by Ricardo Carvalho, but Portugal were denied a spot-kick of their own when Manchester United winger Ronaldo clashed with Willy Sagnol - although TV replays indicated any contact was minimal.

Ronaldo said: "He was a very bad referee and it should have been a penalty," while Scolari added: "We know South American referees and they know how to kill a game. All I can say is he was right when he granted the penalty on the French player and he made a mistake when he didn't give Portugal a penalty when Cristiano Ronaldo was fouled."

On his confrontation with the French players after the game, Scolari added: "The French players made some absurd comments about our players and our country that I cannot repeat, insane and insulting words."

------------------

Whats Scolari on about?! Ronaldo dived! Willy Sagnol barely touched him

Anyone saw Positga's dive too? it was a disgrace

The Portugese are outrageous. If they aren't getting the decisions go their way that's their own fault. The boy that cried wolf comes to mind and Ronaldo was diving all over the place and Portugal in the end got what they deserved. So Scolari and Ronaldo can cry in their soup all day long, nothing will change. Portugal just simply weren't good enough. They were fortunate that England are sh.ite and sh.ite on penalties as well.
48-1119859832

Postby Bman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:09 pm

0asis wrote:They were fortunate that England are sh.ite and sh.ite on penalties as well.

But England are better than Mexico right  :rasp
Bman

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Bman wrote:
0asis wrote:They were fortunate that England are sh.ite and sh.ite on penalties as well.

I disagree with that entirely. They play better football and had a tougher group and tougher second round match. I'd like to see how England would of faired against Argentina.  :D
48-1119859832

Postby Bman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:24 pm

0asis wrote:
Bman wrote:

I disagree with that entirely. They play better football and had a tougher group and tougher second round match. I'd like to see how England would of faired against Argentina.  :D

Well the last time, oh and the time before we have beaten them (Argies). I'm not saying we're better than the Argies now but we're certainly better than a flamboyunt Mexico side IMO.
Bman

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Bman wrote:
0asis wrote:
Bman wrote:

Well the last time, oh and the time before we have beaten them (Argies). I'm not saying we're better than the Argies now but we're certainly better than a flamboyunt Mexico side IMO.

Fair enough.

I can't be bothered with the whole Mexico debate. Check the older threads for my views on Mexico.
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion