Portugal vs mexico

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:59 pm

2-1 at half time, pretty entertaining game. Maniche scored first with some good work by Simao down the left who set up Maniche to score form about 12 yards. Simao then scored a penalty form a stupid handball by Marquez off a corner. Fonseca scored off a corner to make it 2-1.

I've been reasonably pleased with Portugal's performance considering Ronaldo, Deco, Pauleta, Valente and Costinha have all been left out. Defending from set-pieces has been poor though, and I'm still unsure if Meira is good enough at centre-half, losing Andrade for the tournament was a big blow as he and Carvalho form an excellent partnership.

Figo is playing well again, he’s been excellent in every game so far and is showing what a quality player he still is, the move to Inter has definitely helped him. Simao has looked good as well, along with Maniche, who doesn’t get enough praise IMO. Simao’s best position is defo on the left, he was poor against Angola in the drop-off striker/attacking midfield role.

Forca Portugal!
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:05 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Maniche, who doesn’t get enough praise IMO.

He doesn't get enough praise lately because he was utterly rubbish at Chelsea this winter after spending the last 2 years in fookin' Russia!  :D

He was awesome in Euro 2004, though, so the lad can play...maybe it's time for him to return to the Portuguese league?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Very enjoyable game to watch especially as a neutral

Though Mexico continue falling on ground for a penalties is getting abit annoying . Im glad they missed the one they got
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:59 pm

Pity too that Angola couldnt beat Iran
I loved to have seen them knock the Mexicans out, that would have been the stuff of football fairytales
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:01 pm

So am I laza! :D Although a draw would still have meant Portugal topped the group. Portugal were pretty lacklustre in the 2nd half, but I think the fact they only needed a draw and were already through anyway has something to do with this. Still 9 points out of 9 is very promising, and presuming Holland finish 2nd in their group it will be a Euro 2004 semi-final rematch, and potentially another Portugal v England quarter-final.

Incidentally I have predicted the score in all 3 of Portugal’s matches correctly, so naturally every other game they play I will be predicting a win for Portugal and hoping this trend continues! :D

BadBob: You are right, Maniche was poor for Chelsea, and it was a little surprising as he's always done excellently for Portugal. The lack of praise I was referring to wasm ore to do with the national team hna his club from. He's a key player to Portugal, but Deco, Ronaldo, Figo, Carvalho and the likes get a lot more recognition than he does. I don't know why he went to Russia TB, as fater Euro 2004 he was linked with many top clubs, including Arsenal I seem to remember. I think a move back to Portugal is probably in his best interests, or maybe Spain, Real Madrid could do worse.

Anyway, I hope Argentina get a result as i feel Portugal caa definitely beat Holland, but the Argies will be mighty mighty tough. Forca Portugal!
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:03 pm

laza wrote:Pity too that Angola couldnt beat Iran
I loved to have seen them knock the Mexicans out, that would have been the stuff of football fairytales

They would have had to win by 3 goals though, as 2 goals would have only put them on equal goal difference and Mexico would have goen through on goals scored. It was never likely to happen.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:04 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Incidentally I have predicted the score in all 3 of Portugal’s matches correctly, so naturally every other game they play I will be predicting a win for Portugal and hoping this trend continues! :D

Thats pretty impressive Scott

The forca is with you  :D
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Quite frankly, Mexico were well and truly robbed. The score should of showed Mexico 5-2 Portugal. Mexico had another two worthy shouts for penalties, so worthy that they should of been given because they were clear penalties. The standard of refereeing in this World Cup is a joke, most sunday league refs would be much better. Today was a prime case of a Portugal supporting referee or one that's dodged the Fifa system.

Omar Bravo had two good chances one from a penalty which he missed and another one which he skyed. Perez was carded for no reason and that cost Mexico the game in my book, no way that was a yellow card.

Portugal in the final third and the entire second half looked way out of their depth against Mexico. Even when Mexico went down to ten men, Portugal couldn't simply go toe to toe with Mexico, it eventually went down to the extra man being the most important deciding factor.

I was impressed with Mexico as usual, yes they lost but only just, only just, not bad considering they only had one player who plays in Europe. (That seems to be an important factor for most ppl views).

Mexico didn't deserve to lose, they should of won the match and could of had decisions gone their way and had they had eleven men on the pitch. Portugal to be fair did enough, they scored two goals, which is what needed, I would of liked to have seen their full strenght team out against Mexico that would of been more interesting, but anyone who thinks Mexico deserved to lose today is an a.rse. However what you deserve and what you get in football are two completely different things, just ask West Ham.

Mexico will bounce back as will Omar Bravo and I also think that Mexico will want to face Argentina more than Holland, simply because they have faced each other before most recently I believe was last year at the Confederations cup where Mexico lost on penalties.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:58 pm

Mexico should of won I agree, but Portugal didnt need to do anything other than than what they did, they were already through.

Perez was rightly sent off, he was NOT fouled, there was minimal contact by Miguel so Perez threw himself to ground with the ball still at his feet, bascially making an absolute meal of it. It was the right decision.

Portugal supporting referee!? he carded as many Portuguese as he did Mexicans players? Although there should of been another penalty when Ferreira fouled a Mexican player just inside the box.

Had Bravo not been os :censored: poor and taken thsoe chances I think you'll find Portugal may have started to come back at Mexico, but as they still had the lead nad only needed a draw they didn't really put in 100%.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:31 pm

Yeah true, very true and they have Holland in the next round. I really do disagree with the sending off, if he wasn't going to give a penalty than he shouldn't of booked Perez, simple as that. It should of been either a penalty or a goalkick.

Yes that was the most obvious penalty, I've ever seen. But it wasn't given and that's that.  :D

Bravo was awful, I don't think I've ever seen him play so badly, but I'm sure he'll do much better against Argentina.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby anti-hero » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:50 am

Omar Bravo. :D

I go to a predominantly Mexican school and almost all the teachers gave a free period when the Portugal vs Mexico game was on.

Everyone was wearing the Mexican jersey and chants of "Mexi-co! Mexi-co!" could be heard two blocks away. It was a carnival atmosphere in no way befitting of a school.

Game starts and Portugal score two. My classmates are pretty depressed, moan for every foul that doesnt go their way and continue on with how much of a dumbass Marquez was for that stupid handball.  :D  But when Fonseca scored, what noise they made!

"Gola-sooooh Gola-sooooh!"

It was crazy. Fast forward.

Omar Bravo and the Penalty Spot.

"Pinche idiota! Piche pendeja! How the fuck can you miss that?!"

:D

I laugh. But at the end they're happy. Mexico go through.

"Bring on the Argentinians. We'll kick their ass."
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:57 am

An entertaining game that...wide open with lots of scoring opportunities.  Portugal are starting to tick and will give Holland a game.

As for Mexico, they have talent and can play some nice stuff but they really need to show some composure in front of goal.  Bravo seemed to have a case of nerves in the second half and spurned his golden opportunities terribly.  Having said that, he's still more of a goal threat than Franco!  Mexico better bring their 'A' game against Argentina.  I agree that they'll feel they can turn them over given their history but it will take an utterly special performance to beat Argentina.

As for the penalty shouts, I agree that Perez's was a clear dive--he just crumpled with minimal contact.  Stay upright and take the shot man!  The yellow for diving may have been a tad harsh but that's the risk you take when you go down too easily in the box (besides FIFA have told the refs to clamp down on simulation).  Honestly, I think the 2nd no-call was a product of the first--the ref perhaps had it in his head that Mexico were a bit desperate to win a second penalty and were tumbling over too easily in the box. 

In any event, they're through and they've got their shot at knocking out a tournament favourite.  It should be an interesting weekend's worth of match-ups.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:32 am

Bad Bob wrote:An entertaining game that...wide open with lots of scoring opportunities.  Portugal are starting to tick and will give Holland a game.

Portugal are favourites to win against Holland IMO. The midfield of Costinha, Maniche, Ronaldo, Figo and Deco is one of the strongest in the competition, and if the Miguel and Valente can shut down Van Persie and Robben then Portugal should win.

Portugal played Holland off the pitch in the Euro 2004 semi, although it is a different Holland side form 2 years ago with a different coach.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:36 am

Liverpool should sign Sanchez and Fonseca. :cool:
48-1119859832

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion