Champions league - Thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 am

Lahm isn't banned

Alaba, Gustavo and Badstuber are the ones banned
Benny The Noon

Postby lakes10 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 pm wrote:For those who aren't sure about European permutations next season, here's some light reading -

First Published: Tuesday 24 April 2012
European qualification: The permutations

Chelsea hold the key to a number of scenarios relating to reaching Europe next season

Chelsea's superb performance in Barcelona on Tuesday ensured a place in the UEFA Champions League final for a Barclays Premier League club for the seventh time in eight seasons. On May 19th, the Blues will hope to go one better than their narrow defeat on penalties to Manchester United in the 2007/08 final in Moscow. Chelsea will face the winners of Wednesday's second semi-final between Real Madrid and Bayern Munich - and the match represents one of two opportunities for Roberto di Matteo's men to qualify for next year's competition. They can qualify via their Barclays Premier League placing or as competition winners - but the various permutations regarding qualification are complex, so here is a guide to show how the various outcomes of the next few weeks could affect qualification.

IF CHELSEA WIN THE UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
The Blues will qualify for the Group Stage of next season's tournament as winners.
If Chelsea also finish third in the Barclays Premier League (their highest-possible finish as of April 25th), then the fourth-placed team will enter the competition at the Play-Off stage (which follows the three qualifcation rounds) - the final obstacle ahead of the Group Stage.

If Chelsea finish fourth, all four Barclays Premier League teams will enter at the Group Stage.
If Chelsea finish fifth or lower, they still enter at the Group Stage as defending champions. Because no nation can have more than four teams in the competition, the team that finishes fourth in the Barclays Premier League will qualify for the UEFA Europa League, not the UEFA Champions League.

The top three clubs will enter the UEFA Champions League at the Group Stage as normal.

IF CHELSEA DO NOT WIN THE UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
The situation reverts to the standard qualification procedure - that is the top four clubs in the Barclays Premier League will qualify.

The top three will enter at the Group Stage, with the fourth having to win the Play-Off to reach the Group Stage.
Manchester United and Manchester City are both guaranteed to finish in the top two and have secured their Champions League place for 2012/13.

WHAT ABOUT THE UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE?
This is where things get rather complicated.

England has three places available, with The FA Cup winners entering at the Group Stage, the team finishing fifth in the Barclays Premier League entering at the Play-Off Stage, and the Carling Cup winners entering in the third qualifying round.
Liverpool are this season's Carling Cup champions, but should they win The FA Cup, that would take precedence as their route into the Europa League, and their Carling Cup Europa League place passes to the highest Barclays Premier League finisher not already qualified for Europe via another route.

The FA Cup final sees Liverpool play Chelsea at Wembley on May 5th.

Here are the possible qualification scenarios:
(Key - UCL = UEFA Champions League, BPL = Barclays Premier League)

CHELSEA WIN UCL AND FA CUP FINALS
Chelsea qualify for the Champions League, with their FA Cup Europa League place going to Liverpool as runners-up - with the two remaining Europa League places going to the highest-place Barclays Premier League teams which have not already qualified for Europe. The Champions League places will be decided as outlined above.

CHELSEA WIN UCL, LOSE FA CUP FINAL
Chelsea qualify for the Champions League, and Liverpool take The FA Cup Europa League spot with their Carling Cup Europa League spot going to the highest-place Barclays Premier League team which has not already qualified for Europe. The Champions League places will be decided as outlined above.

CHELSEA LOSE UCL FINAL, WIN FA CUP FINAL, FINISH IN TOP FOUR IN BPL
Chelsea qualify for the Champions League, their FA Cup Europa League spot goes to Liverpool as runners-up and the remaining two Europa League spots go to the highest-place Barclays Premier League teams which have not already qualified for Europe.

CHELSEA LOSE UCL FINAL, WIN FA CUP FINAL, FINISH FIFTH IN BPL
Chelsea qualify for the Europa League with Liverpool (Carling Cup winnners) and the sixth-placed team also entering the Europa League (if Liverpool finish sixth, the seventh-placed team enters the Europa League).

CHELSEA LOSE UCL FINAL, WIN FA CUP FINAL, FINISH SIXTH OR LOWER IN BPL
Chelsea qualify for the Europa League with Liverpool (Carling Cup winners) and the fifth-placed team also entering the Europa League (Liverpool can no longer finish fifth)

CHELSEA LOSE UCL AND FA CUP FINALS, FINISH IN TOP FOUR IN BPL
Chelsea qualify for the Champions League, Liverpool claim The FA Cup Europa spot and the two highest-placed Barclays Premier League teams which have not already qualified for Europe enter the Europa League.

CHELSEA LOSE BOTH UCL AND FA CUP FINALS, FINISH FIFTH IN BPL
Chelsea enter the Europa League, Liverpool claim the FA Cup Europa spot and the next highest-placed Barclays Premier League team which has not already qualified for Europe enters the Europa League.

CHELSEA LOSE BOTH UCL AND FA CUP FINALS, FINISH SIXTH IN BPL
Chelsea enter the Europa League along with the fifth-placed team, while Liverpool claim The FA Cup Europa spot.

CHELSEA LOSE BOTH UCL AND FA CUP FINALS, FINISH SEVENTH IN BPL
Chelsea could enter the Europa League, provided Liverpool (who qualify for the competition as FA Cup winers) finish sixth - the fifth-placed team would also enter the Europa League.

CHELSEA LOSE BOTH UCL AND FA CUP FINALS, FINISH BELOW SEVENTH IN BPL
Chelsea will not qualify for Europe unless via the Fair Play League (see below). The top four teams will enter the Champions League, Liverpool take the FA Cup Europa spot and the two highest-placed Barclays Premier League teams which have not already qualified for Europe enter the Europa League.

FAIR PLAY
The one remaining aspect is that the winners of the Fair Play League could enter the Europa League at the first qualifying round. This place automatically goes to the three best-placed national associations in the UEFA Respect fair play rankings provided they achieve an average of 8.0 points or more. The top three associations will then be entitled to enter the club that has either won their domestic top-division fair play competition, or if they have already qualified, the runners-up and so forth.

"Chelsea qualify for the Champions League, with their FA Cup Europa League place going to Liverpool as runners-up "

bit of a problem there, we are already in the Europa League. lol

Chelsea has helped English footbal by getting into the CL final, we got the much needed points to keep 4 teams in it, they were looking a bit low after the f*ck up our other 3 teams made of it this year lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Since the CL-coefficients or whatever you want to call it is based on the last five years it wouldn't have mattered one bit.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Lakes you need to chill with this 4 clubs thing, it'll be a while before that's an issue
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

i'm worried that UEFA might allow the suspended players to play, and postpone their suspension.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm wrote:i'm worried that UEFA might allow the suspended players to play, and postpone their suspension.

absolutely no chance.

the english press are a joke though. no wonder other countries think we're arrogant.

since there's an all conquering english team in the final there's been calls for the rules on bans to be changed and the game to be moved. :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boxscarf » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 pm wrote:i'm worried that UEFA might allow the suspended players to play, and postpone their suspension.

Utter stupidity, this has never been an issue, until now that is! Why?

Players who are stupid enough to accumulate yellow cards over the course of the competition do not deserve to feature in the final.

I remember when Keane was sent off in 1999, he took his punishment like a man, there was no cry baby antics from that man.

Chelsea are disgrace and I hope they get battered in the final, but I believe they'll win.  :down:
Boxscarf

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 am

stmichael » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 pm wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm wrote:i'm worried that UEFA might allow the suspended players to play, and postpone their suspension.

absolutely no chance.

the english press are a joke though. no wonder other countries think we're arrogant.

since there's an all conquering english team in the final there's been calls for the rules on bans to be changed and the game to be moved. :laugh:

Not just the press, us English in general. Take the Olympics for example, there have been calls to change the rules regarding drug abuse and cheating in order for us to have a chance of bringing in more experienced athletes, most notably, the cheating b*stards that were caught.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:32 am

Kharhaz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 am wrote:
stmichael » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 pm wrote:

absolutely no chance.

Not just the press, us English in general. Take the Olympics for example, there have been calls to change the rules regarding drug abuse and cheating in order for us to have a chance of bringing in more experienced athletes, most notably, the cheating b*stards that were caught.

Actually we English want to keep the rules so that they dont compete - The BOA want to uphold the law that all atheletes get a lifetime Olympic ban

It is actually CAS who are telling the BOA to change their rules to allow them to compete.
Benny The Noon

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 am

Bayern have also asked if their 3 men suspended can play. It got turned down obviously. Why would you even ask is like raping someone and saying do I really have to go to prison.

I know a bit of an extreme example but you get my point

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm

A friend of mine told me that all the players will be able to play in the final, even Terry. Don't know where he got that from. Too lazy to check it as well :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat May 19, 2012 4:11 am

¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ BAYERN!!!
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \
maypaxvobiscum

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat May 19, 2012 6:37 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 am wrote:¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ BAYERN!!!
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

:buttrock
Hope Bayern absolutely obliterate this abhorrent collection of players ,and I truly pray its a defeat bordering on ritual humiliation .

Cmon Bayern, lets see Abramovic drowning in his own tears  :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat May 19, 2012 7:48 pm

I've been trying to convince myself I don't care, turns out I do, COME ON BAYERN!!
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Chelsea are the complete antithesis of total football ,has to be the worst one sided final I have ever seen . This soulless Chelsea team  have contributed
to this being the most drab football match, never mind Champions League final I have ever seen .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion