Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos and Montpellier
Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht and Malaga
Group D: Real Madrid, Man City, Ajax Amsterdam and Borussia Dortmund
Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and FC Nordsjaelland
Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille and BATE Borisov
Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow and Celtic
Group H: Man United, Braga, Galatasaray and CFR Cluj

Group D   :help

Highly unlikely, but I hope Manure Utd get knocked out at this stage. They always have it easy don't they!  :veryangry
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:38 pm

i`ve never known a luckier club than united when it comes to draws, remember a couple of years ago when they basically got a bye to the final whilst the likes of barcelona, chelsea and madrid all ended up in the opposite half of the draw?
there was another time when all the english clubs wanted to avoid each other and lo and behold chelsea, arsenal and us ended up on one side of the draw and united the other.
even last year when they didnt make it out of the group stages their group was easy.
city are the opposite, they`ve only been in the CL twice and both times they`ve got hard groups.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm not sure how the system works, but am I right to say that the runner-up of Group A will face the winner of Group C?
This means Arsenal could get knocked out in the Round of 16, seeing that they'll be facing a team from Group D?
And that Chelsea or Juventus might face Barcelona?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby The Good Yank » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:15 am

[quote="maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:40 pm"][/quote]
Don't think so mate.  Pretty sure all the Group winners are in one pot and the runners up are in another.  In round of 16 you can't face a team from the same league or a team that was in the same group in the group stage.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:31 am

All the group winners go in one pot and runners up in another.

With man city and real madrid in one pot, Chelsea and Juventus in another there could be some intresting matches come the quaters.

My prediction

Group A Winners PSG  Runners up Porto
Group B Winners Schalke Runners up Arsenal
Group C Winners Ac milan Runers up Zenit
Group D Winners Real Madrid  Runners up Man city
Group E  Winners Chelsea Runners up Juventus
Group F Winners  Bayern Munchen Runners up Valencia
Group G Winners Barcelona Runners up Spartak Moskva
Group H Winners Manure Runners up BRAGA

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 pm

well that's arsenal and united out  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:11 pm

i wouldnt put it past united to beat madrid. real are in a right state with senior players and even the club president falling out with mourinho. it`s got to the stage where there has even been talk of him leaving in the next few weeks so there is definately trouble at that particular mill.
real`s defence has been leaking goals like a sieve against la liga also rans and to be fair to united in van persie, rooney and hernandez they have players who can score against anyone.
hopefully by the time the first leg comes around real will have gotten their $h1t together and sorted themselves out but if things continue as they are i think that game could be a lot tighter than people think, if it was played next week it could go either way.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:15 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 pm wrote:i wouldnt put it past united to beat madrid. real are in a right state with senior players and even the club president falling out with mourinho.

I'm guessing Mancini was thinking along those same lines,I just cant see Madrid losing this one mate ,United's defence is possibly the worst I can remember
them having since the Premiership was formed . They rely heavily on basically outscoring their opponents ,but to do this they need to dictate the midfield ,I
just don't  believe this is possible with the quality Madrid have at their disposal .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:02 am

Champions League round of 16 draw:

Galatasaray v FC Schalke
Celtic v Juventus
Arsenal v Bayern Munich
Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
AC Milan v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Manchester United
Valencia v Paris St Germain
FC Porto v Malaga

What a great draw. All 8 matches will be fantastic and as a neutral ill be very excited to watch.

Madrid V United is the pick of the ties- United will do well to come back from madrid without a hammering.
Arsenal might aswell just not bother as they will be anialated by the great Munchen. Not only do they pass better than Arsenal there forward line is second to none in the world.

I'd love to see old Celtic get through against Juve simply because they will be the underdogs and i cant stand Juventus and there match fixing *****.

Prediction to get through

Schalke
Juventus
Bayern
Dortmund
Barcelona
Real Madrid
PSG
Porto

For anyone whos a betting man 4/1  for a german side to win it. With Bayern and Dortmund in it thats great odds

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:40 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 pm wrote:i wouldnt put it past united to beat madrid. real are in a right state with senior players and even the club president falling out with mourinho.

I'm guessing Mancini was thinking along those same lines,I just cant see Madrid losing this one mate ,United's defence is possibly the worst I can remember
them having since the Premiership was formed . They rely heavily on basically outscoring their opponents ,but to do this they need to dictate the midfield ,I
just don't  believe this is possible with the quality Madrid have at their disposal .

i was watching that spanish footy show on sky mate and the situation at madrid has gotten a lot worse since they played city, mourinho has openly criticised some of the players in the media (including modric) and said the title has gone, the president then came out and rebuked mourinho publically by saying we dont give up at madrid, senior players at the club tell mourinho to his face during tactical team talks that because he`s never been a player he doesnt understand some aspects of the game and by all accounts mourinho has even met with representatives of PSG in paris to hear what they had to say even though he`s got his heart set on a move back to england.
mourinho has even fell out big time with the journalists at marca (which is basically real madrids pravda) and he`s embroiled in a ongoing  public spat with one of them. their fans are going nuts too.
they are in meltdown mate and when a club is in meltdown anything can happen results wise, besides united are no mugs and know how to win games even when they are not playing well.
dont forget united have beaten the likes of city and chelsea away this season (as well as us at anfield and arsenal at OT) and madrid only just scraped past city at the bernabeau, city were actually 2-1 up with a couple of minutes left on the clock, as i said i think this game will be closer than a lot of people think.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 am wrote:i was watching that spanish footy show on sky mate and the situation at madrid has gotten a lot worse since they played city, mourinho has openly criticised some of the players in the media (including modric) and said the title has gone, the president then came out and rebuked mourinho publically by saying we dont give up at madrid, senior players at the club tell mourinho to his face during tactical team talks that because he`s never been a player he doesnt understand some aspects of the game and by all accounts mourinho has even met with representatives of PSG in paris to hear what they had to say even though he`s got his heart set on a move back to england.
mourinho has even fell out big time with the journalists at marca (which is basically real madrids pravda) and he`s embroiled in a ongoing  public spat with one of them. their fans are going nuts too.
they are in meltdown mate and when a club is in meltdown anything can happen results wise, besides united are no mugs and know how to win games even when they are not playing well.
dont forget united have beaten the likes of city and chelsea away this season (as well as us at anfield and arsenal at OT) and madrid only just scraped past city at the bernabeau, city were actually 2-1 up with a couple of minutes left on the clock, as i said i think this game will be closer than a lot of people think.

Its still a poor United team ,I mean without the intervention of the officials they would have garnered a lot less points than they have collated with their aid .
Its always the same mate ,they struggle to play even half decent football at the beginning of every season ,yet they get all the decisions and scrape 3 points .

I mean lets face facts United's first 8 games they were abysmally poor ,yet they came through unscathed on the good side of some disgraceful refereeing .
Then when Rooney starts firing again ,the refs are for want of a better description shelved . I hope Madrid completely destroy the feckers mate ,because
they personify everything I loathe in this game .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:47 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 am wrote:i was watching that spanish footy show on sky mate and the situation at madrid has gotten a lot worse since they played city, mourinho has openly criticised some of the players in the media (including modric) and said the title has gone, the president then came out and rebuked mourinho publically by saying we dont give up at madrid, senior players at the club tell mourinho to his face during tactical team talks that because he`s never been a player he doesnt understand some aspects of the game and by all accounts mourinho has even met with representatives of PSG in paris to hear what they had to say even though he`s got his heart set on a move back to england.

Its still a poor United team ,I mean without the intervention of the officials they would have garnered a lot less points than they have collated with their aid .
Its always the same mate ,they struggle to play even half decent football at the beginning of every season ,yet they get all the decisions and scrape 3 points .

I mean lets face facts United's first 8 games they were abysmally poor ,yet they came through unscathed on the good side of some disgraceful refereeing .
Then when Rooney starts firing again ,the refs are for want of a better description shelved . I hope Madrid completely destroy the feckers mate ,because
they personify everything I loathe in this game .

You and me both, can't stand anything about them
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:56 pm

I really hope that RM thrashes the Mwanckers. Hope Xabi Alonso gets a hattrick and CR gets a few more for good measure.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I too hope that Madrid spank the Feck out of UTD.

A German side to win it this year.

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:01 pm

As i watched the Arsenal / Bayern match last night I couldn't help but wonder what on earth has gone wrong with the English game.  Bayern so easily disposed of a weak Arsenal side.  City (again) and Chelsea couldn't get out of their groups.  The Mancs are in a decent position but that tie is far from over.  And then ourselves, an absolute mountain to climb to overcome Zenit.

For me, the PL is killing itself by becoming too competitive.  Teams like Celtic, Bayern, Barca, Madrid etc are fairly comfortable in their leagues, can afford to rest players more often and only have to be at 50% to qualify for CL through their leagues.

As the PL becomes more competitive, teams are becoming more desperate to stay at the top.  Everyone is looking for quickfixes, spend more, sack managers.  If things arent working out the star players are getting snapped up. 

Now, Im 100% behind what Liverpool are trying to do.  We're trying to build a club, young manager, young players, new stadium all being implemented at once.  This is how a club should be run.  Im just not sure if it will ever be successful in this league as other teams throw around millions in an attempt  to get to the top.

I think the problem is more with the league in general than anything else.  The gap between the English teams and the likes of Barca, Bayern, Real, Dortmund, Juve is getting bigger.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion