Gerrard - How to keep him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Matt D » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:07 pm

What in your opinion would influence Gerrard to stay with LFC at the end of the season. I believe we have to win 1 maybe 2 of the competions we are in and the champions league being one of them. Now it might sound daft but we have as good a chance of doing that as anyone with the team we have and come January with the injury list shortning (touch wood) and maybe 1 or 2 new faces we could well do the business.

If the worst came to the worst and we had to let SG go for something like £35m who could replace him and for that kind of money who would be the best buy(s)............................to be honest i dont think anyone could replace him
Matt D

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:36 pm

Liverpool chief vows to keep Gerrard  - soccernet.com

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has warned Steven Gerrard's suitors the Anfield captain is going nowhere.

England midfielder Gerrard this week fuelled speculation that a move away from Merseyside was imminent when stating Liverpool must start winning things to keep him.

However, after the 24-year-old's wonder strike against Olympiacos secured a place in the last 16 of the Champions League for the Reds, Parry is confident he will stay put.

'There is no chance of Stevie going in January,' said Parry. 'That just won't happen. Our intention is that we will never let him go.

'Of course he is ambitious but so are we. We firmly believe that if we can satisfy his ambition he will remain a Liverpool player.

'We have an open and straightforward relationship. We both know where we stand and that played a big part in his decision to stay last summer. If he was not so committed to Liverpool he would have gone by now.

'But he has made it plain that there is an extra value to winning a trophy with Liverpool. That would not exist at another club.'
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 100-1102639321 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:07 pm

he is defo gone, best midfielder in europe as far as im concerned.  i reckon hes going abroad end of this season.  dont think we have got the talent to mix it with the big teams in the champions league
100-1102639321

Postby Paul C » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:26 pm

It's simple, were playing better football and Stevie has admited we have progressed this season, I think he understands we haven't had an easy season with a new boss and all the injuries.

If we finish in the top 4, buy some good players and do well in CL then I think Stevie will stay as WE ARE making progress under Benitez :cool:
Last edited by Paul C on Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:01 pm

IMHO it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what we do this season, he is gone. If we win the Champions League? "I feel I've gone as far as I can with Liverpool. Need a new challenge etc etc". Top three in the Prem? "It's probably best given the clubs cash-flow problems that I move on now so they can get a big fee for me". He is as gone as a gone thing. I'm sure them that know things know already and are already scouring Europe for potential replacements.
I guess its a bit like when you're a young fella and you get bored with your girlfriend. She can get her hair done and buy as many new tops as she likes but you can't take your mind off the blond haired bird down the co-op. Girlfriends a top girl and all that, you'll love her forever but its time to move on. Inevitably you discover blond haired girl is a total slapper and said girlfriend was a right cracker all along. She ends up pulling herself a trophy bloke and you end up feeling miserable. Twas ever thus as I'm sure Stevie will discover once Rafa leads us back to greatness. It's not always all its cracked up to be, ask Glen Johnson, Scott Parker, etc etc.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:04 pm

LMAO, good comparison Mick, women cost more than Stevie though, suppose we does complain as much as a women though :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:43 pm

big mick.i must be a utter tw8t,because i married a blond haired slapper who worked in the co-op.
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:44 pm

bigmick wrote:IMHO it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what we do this season, he is gone. If we win the Champions League? "I feel I've gone as far as I can with Liverpool. Need a new challenge etc etc". Top three in the Prem? "It's probably best given the clubs cash-flow problems that I move on now so they can get a big fee for me". He is as gone as a gone thing. I'm sure them that know things know already and are already scouring Europe for potential replacements.
I guess its a bit like when you're a young fella and you get bored with your girlfriend. She can get her hair done and buy as many new tops as she likes but you can't take your mind off the blond haired bird down the co-op. Girlfriends a top girl and all that, you'll love her forever but its time to move on. Inevitably you discover blond haired girl is a total slapper and said girlfriend was a right cracker all along. She ends up pulling herself a trophy bloke and you end up feeling miserable. Twas ever thus as I'm sure Stevie will discover once Rafa leads us back to greatness. It's not always all its cracked up to be, ask Glen Johnson, Scott Parker, etc etc.

ask good old Mikey...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:47 pm

Santa wrote:
bigmick wrote:IMHO it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what we do this season, he is gone. If we win the Champions League? "I feel I've gone as far as I can with Liverpool. Need a new challenge etc etc". Top three in the Prem? "It's probably best given the clubs cash-flow problems that I move on now so they can get a big fee for me". He is as gone as a gone thing. I'm sure them that know things know already and are already scouring Europe for potential replacements.

ask good old Mikey...

It will be interesting if we progressed further than Real in the CL this season, and with Real so far behind Barca in La Liga, winning trophy should be the last on Mikey's mind when Raul and Ronnie hit form.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:01 pm

Paul C wrote:LMAO, good comparison Mick, women cost more than Stevie though, suppose we does complain as much as a women though :p

ahem :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:05 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
Paul C wrote:LMAO, good comparison Mick, women cost more than Stevie though, suppose we does complain as much as a women though :p

ahem :D

I dunno who that was, I think someone hacked my account  :oh:  :devil:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:10 pm

mmmmmmm ???
Kop king's dilemma Dec 10 2004

By David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

STEVEN GERRARD and Wayne Rooney, we are told, are close pals - inseparable, when they trot off together on England duty.

So next time they're sharing a PS2 console at Sopwith House, maybe Wayne could offer a word of advice to his Anfield buddy on the fragility of Mersey football fans' support.

Gerrard trod a very fine line this week. On Wednesday night, he was the King of the Kop, accepting the plaudits for a truly breathtaking goal which underlined that he has now matured into a world class talent.

But, just 24 hours earlier, he gave a press conference which was unsettling in its honesty. In essence, Gerrard said: "You lot better pull your socks up, or I'm off."

It was candid, open and a breath of fresh air, compared to the insincere badge kissers who tell the fans what they think they want to hear, then do something completely different.

Gerrard should be applauded for his sincerity, but try telling that to fans who simply saw a skipper airing doubts about his future on the eve of the most important match of the season so far.

Gerrard wants dramatic improvement on the pitch - and,, more pointedly, off it.

In recent weeks, Rafa Benitez has coaxed every last ounce of effort and expertise possible out of a patched up squad. But he knows it is not enough to mount a serious title challenge. And so does Gerrard.

The summer appointment of Benitez was seen by most as a step in the right direction. But, until the talented Spanish coach is given the resources to do his job to the best of his ability, doubts will persist in his captain's mind.

"I'm a local lad and the fans obviously don't want to see their best players leave, so I'm in an incredibly difficult position," he confessed..

"It's such a difficult question for me because I know if I go some fans will understand, but others will be really upset and turn against me.

"I want to win things with Liverpool more than anything - that would give me the most pleasure. But I want to be in the title race for real next season."

That's one hell of a big ask. Liverpool need reinforcements, and even with the £10m windfall Gerrard's late goal gave them on Wednesday, there is no guarantee they will get them that quickly.

If Gerrard's words act as a catalyst for action at boardroom level, every Liverpudlian will owe him a debt of gratitude. If not, and he does disappear down south in pursuit of medals and glory, then he can expect the same level of antipathy as his Evertonian mate.

A recent posting on a Liverpool message board offered some food for thought. It was a spoof interview claiming to be from a 1972 edition of the Daily Mirror, but it gets the point across.

Frank McGhee: Well lads, here we are about to embark on the 1972-73 season. What are your hopes for this season?

Emlyn Hughes: "Frank, I've been with this club for five-and-a-half years now. In that time we've won nothing and if this club doesn't win anything this season, I'm off. We haven't played in the European Cup in my time here. This Inter Cities Fairs Cup is all well and good, but it's a second rate competition. I want to be playing in the top competition every season and I want to be winning things.

"If I can't achieve it at this club then maybe I'll have to move on to clubs that are winning things such as Arsenal, Leeds or Derby County."

Frank McGhee: Pretty strong views from Emlyn there, Tommy. What are your thoughts?

Tommy Smith: "The Kopites would hang him from the roof of the Kop if they knew he was even thinking about leaving! This is Liverpool Football Club, not Arsenal, Chelsea, Derby or anybody else. I do sort of know what he means; I want to win things, too. But it's playing for this club that matters more than anything."

Could you ever imagine that conversation taking place? Of course not.

The Emlyn Hughes character was speaking like a footballer; Tommy Smith like a fan.

Gerrard has to decide which one he is because, in his current predicament, he can't be both.

And the Liverpool fans won't be slow to let him know if he chooses his Croxteth pal's route.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:19 pm

unfortunatly todays footballers consider themselves as icons , a product which is saleable and they would sell their soul to the highest bidder, just to maintain their fame and fortune.in very simple terms it's called greed!! they show no loyalty to clubs or their supporters, and hide behind the smokescreen of [i want to win a major trophy be succesfull before i finnish playing] boll*cks!! all of us in this forum would play for liverpool for nothing, in fact we would pay just for the honour of pulling thst proud red jersey over your head an running out in front of the kop.so let's not be fooled there's only one reason anyone would want to leave liverpool, and that's to make more and more money.so when gerrard start's making threat's he's showing his true colours.would you if you were made liverpool captain,presented with a new manager,playing much better football,than you had been playing in the last four year's with exciting things ahead,much better prospect's than ever before, start making threat's. i don't think so.do you??    :angry: :angry:
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:09 pm

I certainly wouldnt mate, Id love to run out at anfield and put on that red jersey but  cant kick a ball to save me life :D
But I know what ya sayin :cool:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:53 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I certainly wouldnt mate, Id love to run out at anfield and put on that red jersey but  cant kick a ball to save me life :D
But I know what ya sayin :cool:

that's because you are female.  :D

-im' in trouble now.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion