Roma v LIVERPOOL (CL) Wed 2nd May 7.45pm KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maguskwt » Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am

Reg » Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 am wrote:A very different game and not easy to analyse.  We got the 2 away goals which were a godsend both at the time and at the end.

LFC didn't use the Fab 3 at more than half pace, it was a midfield/defence game. Things went well until the 3rd goal which was either skillful or fortunate I don't know which. The 4th goal was a joke but could have cost us the tie. Until then we had contained well and blunted their attack to pop-shots from Dzeko.

What concerned me was with 15-20 minutes to go we noticeably changed our tactics from 50/50 attack/defence to 100% defence. We invited them to attack and they scored 2. WTF?

Also, whilst TAA is a young lad and made the expected mistakes of an inexperienced player at this level, with 10-15 to go he was out on his feet. Completely knackered. I didn't want to disrupt the team with substitutes but I was wrong, Roma found us out in the last 15 at both Anfield and Rome. We can't make the same mistake against RM we must rotate before the lads make mistakes and cost us goals.

Otherwise TAA and Robertson were fantastic, Milner was a monster and Gini. Front 3 not called on as much as  usual but very pleased to see Mane up for it and for once his finishing was spot on! Karius is growing into the role, clearly not the finished article but that's what you get when you pluck a youngster and play him in the CL semi final...

Overall, this team is running on fumes, the Chelsea game will take more out of us but the squad need to rest. We have a team with no reserves, each individual is critical to the final result. If I'm honest we need a lot of luck to win the final, we're a solid XI but the lack of quality on the bench will show in the later stages of the final when the game will be won or lost. Start praying now.  Onwards and Upwards!

Nice analysis Reg. I had a re-watch of the highlights and it seems like the lads just need to do better on focusing and concentration mate. they maybe compromised by their fatigue as you say as well. At 1-2 they were cruising. "Yeah... we got this in contorl" kinda thing. They didn't think that Roma would have much more resistance. Roma's 2nd goal was joint responsibility by TAA, Lovren and the whole midfield. The roma winger skinned TAA alive when he gave him a dribble feint and zoomed passed him. After that Lovren just gave him too much space near the penalty box. Our midfield was too slow in tracking back. There was actually another roma player in acres of space near the centre of our penalty box that no one was covering. So Robertson rushed in cover that guy (that was the midfield's fault not Robertson's; he was an immediate danger for Robertson to warrant leaving his position). The roma winger decides to shoot (which was possible because lovren gave him too much space) instead of passing it to this team mate who previously was left unmarked. However, due to Robertson moving in, the rebound ball landed comfortably to Dzeko not marked by anyone in the box and the rest is history. In that sequence of events I feel that Lovren could do much much better. He is an experienced defender and shouldn't be backing up so quickly to leave the roma's winger with so much space to charge at him.

Their 3rd goal, you can't do much . The penalty, was probably the ref over-compensating on the previous TAA's handball because it was very very soft.

Anyway, Klopp should go over the video with his players and really learn from all these concession of goals near the end of games...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 am

A very shambolic and total collapse performance, which it is hardly surprising when you have a nutcase of a manager depending on duds in shape of hyped superstars!! starting with the clown keeper and very weak defenders. It was really a touch and go from getting through.
This is the worse Liverpool team that has reached the European cup final, it was almost a European football records for a team to surrender 7 goals lead, but in the nutcase's book everything can happen, which it primarily based on hype and heavy metal tactics!!
All the credit goes to Mane, he was our best player and he ran his socks off, as the rest they were all rubbish, the sign of such rubbish performances were quite witnessed in the last two league games, watch out for Sunday, another hammering might be on the cards.

I have no real prospect of a positive CL final, it has been quite clear the huge difference in class between this Liverpool side and top European teams, the gap is so vast.
algymoon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 am

As a team we look dead on our feet, since Phil's departure our front 3 have pretty much played every game, back in 15/16 if you remember we actually did all the heavy lifting in the Europa League knocking out United and Dortmund (who were both the bookmakers favourites to win the whole thing) and then Villarreal who comfortably finished above Seville in La Liga, when we got to the final though and tried to press the accelerator one last time nothing was there, we had nothing left in our tanks.
Last year was a similar story, we literally crawled over the line to secure a CL place, we handed the initiative back to United about 2 or 3 times during the run in but lucky for us they had already thrown all their eggs into the Europa League basket.
IMO we lost that game last night because of fatigue, tired players make sloppy mistakes and bad decisions. Roma were there for the taking.
I think we've hit the wall again, we conceded late goals against Roma at Anfield, didn't look good against West Brom or Stoke and looked very leggy last night as well, we need to get a point against Chelsea on Sunday and then give the lads a f**king good rest before the final.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu May 03, 2018 9:22 am

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 am

Poor old algy, how will he cope if we win it? I think he'll be reaching for the razor blades...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu May 03, 2018 9:42 am

Through to a European cup final and algy finds a reason to moan.

Need to get 4th sewn up this weekend and give the leads a rest. That Madrid side isn't as good as the Milan side we overcome in 05. Our team is also better than the Liverpool side. We can do this. One more game to glory
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:01 am

Is he a Liverpool fan? Even when we do well, his praise is limited to a single sentence
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:19 am

7_Kewell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 am wrote:Is he a Liverpool fan? Even when we do well, his praise is limited to a single sentence

he's a WUM
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby leeroy74 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:08 am

He sometimes makes valid points but has a strange way of putting them across, thus we all read them as WU but I think he genuinely has something to say.
I mean, we did nearly surrender a 7 goal lead  :wwww .
I don't agree with this being the worse LFC team and I don't believe we're lagging behind the top teams in Europe...  where are these top teams? Cos they're not in the final! WE ARE against an underpowered Real Madrid team who if this was a Anfield we'd comfortably stick 5 past however as it's an away game I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a touch worried watching the collapses of the last couple of games. We've played 20 minutes of devastating football over 180 mins against Roma the rest was hold on tight stuff and error after error but despite all this we're in the final.

well done Klopp and well done Liverpool!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Thu May 03, 2018 11:18 am

He's a WUM .......and a ***** one at that.... not in the same league as cheesecakery
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 03, 2018 12:13 pm

There's 1 day shy of 3 weeks (20 days) between the game on Sunday at Stamford Bridge and the CL final in Kiev.
Do the business against Chelsea and then give the starting XI a week to 10 days off, tell them to go to Dubai or somewhere with their families and completely recharge their batteries, then come back and spend the next 10 days getting ready for the final.
If we turn up in Kiev at our high energy gegenpressing best I think we will beat Madrid, if we turn up like we did last night however where we were out on our feet against a team of 30 somethings then we will get our @rses handed to us imo.
The key to the final is going to be how energetic we are, when we are full of running not many teams can live with us, when we are tired we ship goals like they are going out of fashion. It's going to be all about energy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Thu May 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Hello everyone. Good to see some old faces still active here.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu May 03, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm pretty sure Klopp will play his strongest side against Brighton regardless of the result against Cheslea. He won't want the players to go 3 weeks without a game. He'll want to keep them tuned up for the final. They might get a couple of days off but there is plenty of time to recover and prepare between Chelsea and Brighton and then Brighton and Madrid. The problem over the last month is that we've been playing every 3 days and have picked up quite a few injuries. But when you have 7+ days to recover you'll be fine.
Eagle

Postby killerp » Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Mixed emotions coming out of this game, I was ready to do myself in around the 90 min mark but we scrapped through...just. I personally don't expect anything else from this point, a finals appearance is an achievement in my books. Its been a bloody awful, frustrating, painfully long journey to get to this point from our last final appearance.

I want to enjoy the final and not worry or stress about it. Really hope we put on a spectacle to announce to the world the Liverpool of old is coming back!
killerp

Postby Reg » Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 pm

tubby » Thu May 03, 2018 7:46 pm wrote:Hello everyone. Good to see some old faces still active here.

Mr Bav, welcome home buddy, how's life? All well mate?  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games