Roma v LIVERPOOL (CL) Wed 2nd May 7.45pm KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 am

This is undoubtably our biggest game since the 23rd of May 2007 when we played AC Milan in the CL final in Athens.
These are the types of games which define careers.
I remember Houlliers words back in 2001 when he said that his squad was '10 games away from greatness', Ged got a bit carried away there yes winning the 5 trophies was a terrific achievement but in the modern era players only achieve true greatness by either winning the league title or the CL.
This bunch of players actually do have the opportunity to achieve true greatness and they aren't 10 games away they are only 2 games away, this is the first of those 2 games.
The Stadio Olympico is where we won our first European Cup and our 4th European Cup, it's the place where Kevin Keegan ran Bertie Vogts ragged, it's the place where Bill Shankly sat in the commentary box and watched that young side he put together in the early 70's turn into legends under Bob Paisley.
The Stadio Olympico is the place where Alan Kennedy scored that pen, where Ray Clemence made that save at 1-1, where Tommy Smith launched that tired old body that carried 18 years worth of war wounds earned in a red shirt into the air and powered that header past Wolfgang Kneib, it is the place where Emlyn Hughes held the trophy aloft, it's the place where Graeme Souness held that trophy aloft.
As I have said if Jurgen really is the true heir of the likes of Bill and Bob then it's fitting that the Stadio Olympico is written into the storyline somewhere.
Let's get past this lot and get to our 8th European Cup final.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Never thought I would be saying this at the start of the season but we will miss Chamberlain in central midfield. His industry and energy makes Hendo and Milner better so we really need a great game and similar energy from Wijnaldum. It is ours to lose but certainly not a done deal so we still need to be vigilant, the atmosphere will be intense and the team will be tested.

As you said Yakka, two games from greatness.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Biggest game of our season so far. Massive massive occasion for the lads and Klopp. I'm 100% confident our lads will put in a solid shift.

Roma need 3 goals and will be looking to get 1 or 2 before half time. If we get 1 away goal it will be all over.

I'm confident we will get over this hurdle and will be onto our way to the final.

Looking forward to this game.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 pm

I just can't see how Roma pull's another rabbit out of their a$$ to comeback and beat us..We are in the best position their is..leading big with the other team desperate to score with relative slow defenders ,does it get any better then that? It would have to be something really special for us to drop such a lead.

Having said that my nerves are wracked.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm

redshade » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:07 pm wrote:Biggest game of our season so far. Massive massive occasion for the lads and Klopp. I'm 100% confident our lads will put in a solid shift.

Roma need 3 goals and will be looking to get 1 or 2 before half time. If we get 1 away goal it will be all over.

I'm confident we will get over this hurdle and will be onto our way to the final.

Well I'm a bag of nerves and it's only Sunday!!  :grinning:
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 pm

:D I kind of feel ok mate i was a lot more nervous when we went to the Etihad. Until Salah scored that 2nd leg Vs Man City was probably my most nerve racking match I've ever watched.

I hope the same don't happen on Wednesday.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Tie is over, we'll score a minimum of 2 over there but wouldn't be surprised if we give them a good hiding. More interested in whether it's Real or Bayern for us in the final.
Doeboy

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

Their captain said after the first tie that we played long ball  :laugh: but also said that our players were so fast that they could not keep up with us. If this is the case then they really have no chance since our players will still be too quick for them. I worried about Roma as I thought they would park the bus and frustrate us which unbelievably they did not do choosing instead to hold a high line, obviously they never watched us play. I think their chance is now gone as they now must attack which should play into our hands. No doubt they will pressure hard for the first 20 minutes but then our quality (and speed) should take over.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:51 am

Roma will fancy their chances after the last round and beating Barcelona, but what are the chances of recovering a three goal deficit TWICE!??
I can't see anything other than us progressing, as we will definitely score.

All the pressure is on Roma. They have to score three, we don't have to score at all.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm

There speaks the management genius, if that isn't a feckin' jinx then g*d knows what is.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 pm

bunglemark2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm wrote:
redshade » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:07 pm wrote:Biggest game of our season so far. Massive massive occasion for the lads and Klopp. I'm 100% confident our lads will put in a solid shift.

Well I'm a bag of nerves and it's only Sunday!!  :grinning:

That's because your a SMACKHEAD  :wwww

Nothing to do with football that

:D  :D
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Reg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm wrote:There speaks the management genius, if that isn't a feckin' jinx then g*d knows what is.

That's right, blame me! It's my fault is it, if we throw away a three goal lead!?

:D  :D

...Coming from the club "ownership" expert, who mysteriously knows how to run a football club better than FSG and create "value" in a business !

:D
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:43 pm

There has to be drama before this monumental match kicks off on Wednesday. Plenty of drama prior to knowing which team will go to the final.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Dodgy penalty in the first leg, violence coming in Rome, injury list, assistant manager leaving. The God's do seem to be conspiring against us.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Repeat of the QF really but no messing about conceding soft goals, smash it away and run down the clock.

Roma will try every trick in the book so we got to deal with that and pose enough threat on break to keep the fear in them.

You never know until it’s done but it will really poor if we don’t go through now.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games