Roma v LIVERPOOL (CL) Wed 2nd May 7.45pm KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby electrum » Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm

We had too many individuals having an off day - stray passes, offsides, wrong decisions galore, giving up possession cheaply.... That was just our front three  :D

BUT we are in the FINAL of the CL people and we will have 2 weeks rest beforehand...lets give Madrid a hiding please Redmen
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Mikz » Thu May 03, 2018 8:15 pm

I still think we need a top class gk, big viirg has been great but he really needs a partner.

So does Jurgen - come in STEVIE GEE ...even just for the final  :buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Strange performance. We played like we were three goals down, not three goals up,hoofing the ball forward and giving the ball away continuously, that's the only reason Roma had any success.  Salah and Firmino had an off day. But we are still there in the final.

The good news is, we get a decent rest before the final, so our performance should be spot on.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu May 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 pm wrote:
The good news is, we get a decent rest before the final, so our performance should be spot on.

Yup lets hope we manage to seal top 4 on Saturday against Chelsea. Then when we play Brighton Klopp might aswel give the fringe players a chance or even some youngsters. Lallana should be fit for that game.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 pm

algymoon » Thu May 03, 2018 7:59 am wrote:A very shambolic and total collapse performance, which it is hardly surprising when you have a nutcase of a manager depending on duds in shape of hyped superstars!! starting with the clown keeper and very weak defenders. It was really a touch and go from getting through.
This is the worse Liverpool team that has reached the European cup final, it was almost a European football records for a team to surrender 7 goals lead, but in the nutcase's book everything can happen, which it primarily based on hype and heavy metal tactics!!
All the credit goes to Mane, he was our best player and he ran his socks off, as the rest they were all rubbish, the sign of such rubbish performances were quite witnessed in the last two league games, watch out for Sunday, another hammering might be on the cards.

I have no real prospect of a positive CL final, it has been quite clear the huge difference in class between this Liverpool side and top European teams, the gap is so vast.

Wow.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 pm

I'd play Clyne in the last 2 league games as well to see if he can get some form, Trent has done a great job in the CL (particularly against City) but teams definately see him as a weakness and are targeting him, most of Roma's attacks came down his flank and he was lucky not to give away a penalty.
Trent either seems to be outstanding or a liability, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground in his game at the minute.
Against a bunch of wise old heads like Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale etc a steady eddie like Clyne might be the better option. Clyne won't be as good going forward but he is less liable to be caught out positionally.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Thu May 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Marcelo and Ronaldo doubling up on TAA big worry but I guess most sides struggle to contain that.

We are a young and often naive team against arguably the worlds biggest club so we just have to hold our nose and dive in really.

How good was Dzeko though last night? Definitely MOM and Romas best player by far, City should not have released him. Outstanding footballer.

We are tiring at the end of games, WBA and in Rome, down to lack of cover and injuries. The 2 week rest ahead of final massive for us and absolutely critical.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 pm

Virgil on Dutch sports channel live when told that this is the first time you’ve lost in the #ChampionsLeague.. “to be honest I do not give a f*ck”
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri May 04, 2018 3:45 am

Only just peeled myself off the ceiling, that was pretty f*cking epic!

Another final for this great club, let's hope the lads do Madrid in the final - I think we can be pretty bullish about it too.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri May 04, 2018 3:52 am

woof woof ! » Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 pm wrote:Honestly ?

I thought we were well below par bordering on ***** !

The front three in particular were at their most frustrating ! Ok Mane did step up and deserves praise BUT Firmino and Salah where miles away from their usual performances.

Sloppy final passes and poor decision making from our front three cost us a game we could and should have won.

Firmino trying more than once to shoot through a wall of three defenders and Salah showing virtually none of the threat/skill demonstrated in the first leg was a massive disappointment.

I'm not out to bash our strike force, everyone has a bad day at the office and for the work they've put in this season I guess they're entitled to one, but this wasn't the time for it.

Maybe as others have mentioned we're "running out of gas" , certainly our aggressive press and sharpness was markedly absent last night.

Ultimately IMO we rode our luck a bit last night at that's when with a 3 goal (later 4) luck shouldn't have even been a factor.

The worrying thing is that eventually luck runs out !  :(

I believe we can beat Madrid BUT we're going need a rested and mentally/physically "Up for it"  squad on their A game for the final hurdle in Kiev.

It wasn't the greatest performance by any stretch hopefully it will lead Madrid into a false sense of security.

This team (barring the Citeh game), don't look comfortable sitting back generally. It's like we we caught in two minds and like Klopp said the defense dropped deeper than he'd have liked which made our midfielders having to cover way more ground than he'd have liked.

And I agree with him that we weren't patient going forward, we kept trying to find the early, quick, direct ball and it didn't pay off. We needed a bit more composure and to change tact because we just tried to ping the killer ball forward and forced the issue.

I thought Mane was a beast personally, while Salah and Firmino weren't as prominent Mane took up the slack and did a great job, and he works hard going backwards too. Robinson and Gini for me were the other two stand-outs with Milner in there too.

Klopp needs to give a half-time team talk at the beginning of the final, and tell the lads to play their own game and not get overawed by the occasion - Henderson was guilty of that and looked way out of his depth IMO. Need composure to play our own game tis all.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am

Watched the game again thus time with my nerves settled..it wasn't that awful..We had quite a lot of opportunities when we broke forward and a lack of focus and composure prevented creating quality oppertunities..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Fri May 04, 2018 8:55 am

Reg » Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 pm wrote:And once season ticket holders have their tickets there are 3 tickets left for Joe Public.

season ticket holders go into a ballot with fan members etc for a chance of getting 1 of the 1000+ tickets left after the initial sale to the supporters who went to 7 games( 6 home + 1 away ) ...I went to 6 games, I'm a season ticket holder of 38 years and I've been to every European Cup Final ....I have no chance of getting a ticket through the club other than this lottery ....
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 am

I'm trying to blag one from work as I work for a production company involved in footy, they said to check back a few days before as there are often some cancellations! No idea what my chances are of getting a flight and hotel sorted at such short notice but for now I've given up.

I know they are frowned upon but the other option I looked at was 3rd part re-seller sites which unfortunately for the buyer means an insane markup. I took a look yesterday and they were ~£2k, probably more now. I guess it's all relative and comes down to what you value it at. I've got some things I'm financially planning for so can't justify paying that much money. I got a ticket to Basel a few years ago via one of those sites although being the Europa league it wasn't that expensive.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am

Kenny Kan » Fri May 04, 2018 2:52 am wrote:
woof woof ! » Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 pm wrote:Honestly ?

I thought we were well below par bordering on ***** !

The front three in particular were at their most frustrating ! Ok Mane did step up and deserves praise BUT Firmino and Salah where miles away from their usual performances.

Sloppy final passes and poor decision making from our front three cost us a game we could and should have won.

Firmino trying more than once to shoot through a wall of three defenders and Salah showing virtually none of the threat/skill demonstrated in the first leg was a massive disappointment.

I'm not out to bash our strike force, everyone has a bad day at the office and for the work they've put in this season I guess they're entitled to one, but this wasn't the time for it.

Maybe as others have mentioned we're "running out of gas" , certainly our aggressive press and sharpness was markedly absent last night.

Ultimately IMO we rode our luck a bit last night at that's when with a 3 goal (later 4) luck shouldn't have even been a factor.

The worrying thing is that eventually luck runs out !  :(

I believe we can beat Madrid BUT we're going need a rested and mentally/physically "Up for it"  squad on their A game for the final hurdle in Kiev.

It wasn't the greatest performance by any stretch hopefully it will lead Madrid into a false sense of security.

This team (barring the Citeh game), don't look comfortable sitting back generally. It's like we we caught in two minds and like Klopp said the defense dropped deeper than he'd have liked which made our midfielders having to cover way more ground than he'd have liked.

And I agree with him that we weren't patient going forward, we kept trying to find the early, quick, direct ball and it didn't pay off. We needed a bit more composure and to change tact because we just tried to ping the killer ball forward and forced the issue.

I thought Mane was a beast personally, while Salah and Firmino weren't as prominent Mane took up the slack and did a great job, and he works hard going backwards too. Robinson and Gini for me were the other two stand-outs with Milner in there too.

Klopp needs to give a half-time team talk at the beginning of the final, and tell the lads to play their own game and not get overawed by the occasion - Henderson was guilty of that and looked way out of his depth IMO. Need composure to play our own game tis all.

We had a lot of joy with the early ball over the top in the first leg at Anfield and I think it went to the players heads, they seemed to automatically assume that the same tactic would work again. At Anfield though Roma played with 3 at the back, on Wednesday they changed formation.
The game just illustrated the lack of game intelligence in our midfield for me, the direct approach was clearly not working in fact all it was doing was giving the ball back cheaply to Roma yet for some bizarre reason we kept on flogging the same dead horse.
Where was the on field leadership? Why didn't someone say 'look these are building a head of steam up here and they are eating into our lead but if they haven't got the ball they can't score".
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am wrote:We had a lot of joy with the early ball over the top in the first leg at Anfield and I think it went to the players heads, they seemed to automatically assume that the same tactic would work again. At Anfield though Roma played with 3 at the back, on Wednesday they changed formation.
The game just illustrated the lack of game intelligence in our midfield for me, the direct approach was clearly not working in fact all it was doing was giving the ball back cheaply to Roma yet for some bizarre reason we kept on flogging the same dead horse.
Where was the on field leadership? Why didn't someone say 'look these are building a head of steam up here and they are eating into our lead but if they haven't got the ball they can't score".

The game just illustrated the lack of game intelligence in our midfield for me

I'm with you on that Yakka .

I would add that given the players we have, tactically our only options seems to be a "Blitzkrieg" attack or a "Dig In" defence.

Our Midfield is "workman like" i.e. fairly solid and very hard working , unfortunately there is a desperate lack of creativity .

I'm not sure that tactically a 3 man midfield will allow us to include a creative player that can be given the freedom to roam and express himself.

Perhaps more flexibility needs to be included in our approach to to some games, a flexibility that would allow us to put a bit more flair into our midfield without surrendering our defensive ability ?

It's a hard one.

First of all we'd need a player who could see and thread a pass, i.e, a Gerrard, Alonso or Coutinho

If we had that , for some games only I'm wondering about the  pro's and cons of 3-5-2 formation :wwww

E.G. (if all fit)

...................................Karius

......................Lovren.....Virgil......Matip

TAA........Oxlade......... ??creator? ...... ......Lallana ....  Robertson

.......................Salah ...............Firmino

some subs ?  a GK, Klavan (or another CB), Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Mane, 

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games