JONJO SHELVEY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Shelveys message to the fans from his twitter and official site...

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm

It's 'their' Jonjo, not 'there' lad FFS.  :D

Good luck Jj.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Waldo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:26 pm

I would have kept him. Hopefully we have a buy back clause in the contract. I rate the kid.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm

i cant believe he was sold for that ridiculous amount  :down:  rising as far as £6mil with add on's is a joke and its on us.
they absolutely crucified us last year with the fee for allen and we pack off shelvey for less than half that  :down:
i totally get that we have less competitions next year but i feel it should only have been a loan deal rather than a sale.
anyway best of luck to him at swansea
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Strange move that for several reasons imo.

1)  He's very young and I think he showed signs of improvement last season, so I would've thought a loan deal would be beneficial and see how he does.

2)  We are signing a lot of foreign players again (which is great) but we need to watch our quota and hold onto the decent british players we have, especially ones that aren't on high wages.  Downing is probably on 3 times Shelvey's wage and is much older.

3)  Swansea I don't see as a good club for Shelvey.  He's a power player rather than a neat passer/mover and I think he'll struggle with their style as they mix it up even less than we do in that respect.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 pm

john craig » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:10 pm wrote:Strange move that for several reasons imo.

He's a power player rather than a neat passer/mover and I think he'll struggle with their style as they mix it up even less than we do in that respect.

And therein I think it is. BR doesn't see how he fits in now, but also what he can nurture.   It maybe that the £5m (+£1m add-ons) is better spend elsewhere.

Just as an example, consider Tom Ince.

Yes it's an extortionate amount of money considering what we sold him for, but Blackpool have accepted £8m from Cardiff, of which we'd pocket just shy of £3m due to the sell on clause.
- Meaning financially speaking, if we went in for Ince, we could almost swap Shelvey for Ince - and I gues BR sees Ince (or some other young player) as much more of an impact player / more suited to our play than Jojo.

We may - like the Ince deal - regret selling him rather than sending him on loan, only time will tell, but I think we've done okay from the deal
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Shelvey showed promise, but needs a full season or two to develop. That's not going to happen here, so selling him is the best all round.

Wish him luck and hopefully the money will go towards funding Mkhitaryan
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:28 am

Im bit bemused by it and like others feel a loan deal would have better for us. Especially with this british quota system which seemed to behind so mucy of our buying strategy a couple of seasons ago

All the best JJ telling Fergie to fornicate off will always be remembered fondly
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:51 am

Get a grip people, we haven't just sold the 2nd coming of Graeme Souness or the new Stevie G. He's a good young player, he will have a good career, he'll score some good goals and will probably win a few more England caps BUT he has limitations and the fact so many think we should have kept him says to me that we have allowed our standards to slip.

Shelvey has lots of confidence, he has a good shot on him, he can spray a ball 40 yards and play the hollywood stuff from time to time however, the defensive part of his game is not up to scratch, he's a rash tackler, he isn't particularly mobile or quick, he doesn't look after the ball well enough (especially in a system that relies on keeping the ball). £6 million isn't a bad bit of business for a player who ultimately will falll short of the levels the club should be aspiring to reach.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:30 am

Scottbot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 pm wrote:Get a grip people, we haven't just sold the 2nd coming of Graeme Souness or the new Stevie G. He's a good young player, he will have a good career, he'll score some good goals and will probably win a few more England caps BUT he has limitations and the fact so many think we should have kept him says to me that we have allowed our standards to slip.

Shelvey has lots of confidence, he has a good shot on him, he can spray a ball 40 yards and play the hollywood stuff from time to time however, the defensive part of his game is not up to scratch, he's a rash tackler, he isn't particularly mobile or quick, he doesn't look after the ball well enough (especially in a system that relies on keeping the ball). £6 million isn't a bad bit of business for a player who ultimately will falll short of the levels the club should be aspiring to reach.

Amen.

Get the f**k over it people, another average player out the door, no need to cry me a river.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 am

Scottbot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 pm wrote:Get a grip people, we haven't just sold the 2nd coming of Graeme Souness or the new Stevie G. He's a good young player, he will have a good career, he'll score some good goals and will probably win a few more England caps BUT he has limitations and the fact so many think we should have kept him says to me that we have allowed our standards to slip.

Totally agree with you Scott.

Not a bad fee for a player that isnt bad, but not good enough in my opinion to move us forward.
When you add on the fact that his attitude is poor I think it was right to get rid.

Good to have you back posting by the way  :)
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:56 am

Summed up well by both Ben and Scott.

Shelvey was hyped a little bit too much

He reminds me of Milner but not as good. I can't see him coming back to haunt us
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:30 am

your talking about a 21 year old player mate, he`s nowhere near the finished product and people shouldnt really expect him to be at that age.
gerrard and souness had to iron out faults in their games early on in their careers, infact your description of shelvey - lots of confidence, good shot on him, spray a ball 40 yards, likes the hollywood stuff and is a rash tackler reminds me of a certain number 8 when he was younger.
when shelvey plays for our U21`s against players his own age he looks the best player on the pitch, he looks better than texiera, wisdom, coady and the other highly rated players coming through our ranks. i think because he`s been in and around the first team squad for a couple of seasons and he looks older than he actually is people are expecting too much from him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:34 am

He didnt look like that during the summer and I can't remember him standing out that much against players like Texeria - in fact Wisdom was the one player to come back from the U21's with credit. What Shelvey did do though was score the odd goal which masked a lot of his problems.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:43 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:30 am wrote:

your talking about a 21 year old player mate, he`s nowhere near the finished product and people shouldnt really expect him to be at that age.
gerrard and souness had to iron out faults in their games early on in their careers, infact your description of shelvey - lots of confidence, good shot on him, spray a ball 40 yards, likes the hollywood stuff and is a rash tackler reminds me of a certain number 8 when he was younger.
when shelvey plays for our U21`s against players his own age he looks the best player on the pitch, he looks better than texiera, wisdom, coady and the other highly rated players coming through our ranks. i think because he`s been in and around the first team squad for a couple of seasons and he looks older than he actually is people are expecting too much from him.

There is/was a clear distinction between a young Gerrard and Shelvey - Gerrard's class was always present especially during his younger years. I suspect Shelvey tries to model himself on Gerrard if truth be told but he simply doesn't have that extra ability to look a class apart like Gerrard did at 21.

As stu-the-red used to say, Shelvey won't suddenly become someone he's not, age will bring experience but won't supernaturally boost natural ability. Gerrard had this at 21 it was there for all to see. If he were that good as you're suggesting it wouldn't have been the likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace and subsequently Swansea who would have been in for him.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion