Will it be good enough? - Our transfer targets...( source espn).

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Will it be good enough? - Our transfer targets...( source espn).

Yes-They are the final piece of the Puzzle
15%
No- we are still miles off
38%
Maybe-They are a good bt Man utd & Chelsea are too strong
46%

Total votes : 39

Postby club_Levis » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Will the addition of transfer targets Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry be enough to land Liverpool the title?

.................................................................................

Vote and discuss.
club_Levis

Postby hello_red » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:07 pm

We need wingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Bentley! Silva maybe but hes small and will most likely go to Barca or Madrid.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Nope, not yet

we are still short of a few players.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 pm

I thought the first team was good enough last season, so I think we are still good enough to challenge this time around. I think we need a couple of top quality creative players if we are going to actually win the league though.

With Agger back and Torres hopefully full of confidence we should be within touching distance this time....the right signings could just do it!
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Irrespective of the players we get, will Rafa curb the rotation to give us
a fighting chance?

But yes, if we were to sign Keane and Barry - that squad is strong enough.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Lots of time yet.  These are just the opening salvos.
Red H

Postby hello_red » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Rotation? Its a myth that that is the reason we have struggled in the league. A few posters believe it is the reason, I believe that it is many contributing factors. Mainly being we are not good enough as of yet. Thats where astute signings come into play and patience as I think we are on the right path towards the league finally after 18 years. Up until Rafa came we where not going to get close bar 2001/2002 (Ithink) but still failed. We have a young team that will grow much like the :censored: if you will.

Patience people is the key to winning the league.

I await angry responses in the vain of 'well enough money has been spent' or 'we have been waiting 18 years its about time'

:kungfu:
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Red H wrote:Lots of time yet.  These are just the opening salvos.

agree, its a little early because im sure there will be a winger or two arriving before the start.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Effes wrote:Irrespective of the players we get, will Rafa curb the rotation to give us
a fighting chance?

Ah what did you have to mention that word for your gonna set Mick off again :laugh:

que: Bigmick wakes up after hearing the word :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jedi56 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:54 pm

personally i think we need more speed to match manu and arsenal. keane and barry are not speed demons.
jedi56

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Tight at the back.

Speed down the flanks.

Then the title will come.

Two wingers and a support striker for Torres.

That's what we need.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 pm

hello_red wrote:I await angry responses in the vain of 'well enough money has been spent' or 'we have been waiting 18 years its about time'

You might find you're on the wrong side of the fence for angry responses mate. It's really only when you get a bit pessimistic that you get people rounding on you like rabid dogs.

I agree with you about the rotation by the way. If there is anybody who thinks that is the sole reason we have "struggled' in the league, then that is a myth IMHo too. I'm not sure anybody ever said "it's all because of rotation" but if they did, it's a myth.

Winning football matches as our manager so often says, is the result of many tiny details. I don't think it's stretching credibility too much to be of the opinion that playing people in positions they are familiar with (ie not Crouch or Gerrard on the left wing) is a fairly important detail. Equally, playing a formation within which the players know what they are doing, playing players who are demonstrably in form and not "resting" them mid flow, and selecting a bunch of players consistently to enable them to find cohesion and team spirit might be considered quite important too.

I suppose that's where some of us disagree really, about how important thee factors are. Some people think they are largely irrelevent which is an interesting point of view. Some people think they matter a bit, some think they are crucial. My suspicion is from your post that you for instance think they matter less than me, which is fair enough. No anger from my side why should there be? Even if you are of the the opinion that rotation is completely irrelevent, that we could put Torres in goal and still be as effective it doesn't make me angry. Not at all, why should it?

On the "we have spent enough money" and "18 years is long enough", I won't disappoint. Eighteen years is long enough, but Rafa has only been here for four so we can hardly put the previous fourteen at his door if we're being sensible. Eighteen years though is a long time and I'm sure any genuine Liverpool fan can now hear and indeed smell the rancid breath of the Mancs on our shoulders. Lets face it, it's not nice.

We have spent lots of money as well. Enough? Well it really depends on what you want. Is it realistic to expect us, to demand that we win the league because we've spent a lot of money? Definately not when you consider that Man Utd have spent more, also Chelsea obviously. I think given the amount of money we've spent it wouold be legitimate to feel a bit aggrieved if we didn't get in the top four, but we couldn't really demand the title.

For me though, it's not all about money. It's the quality of the players the manager has brought to the club. This is where the argument turns on it's head a bit, as this is where the people who believe the manager never makes a mistake talk about us "not convinceders" getting "egg on our face" if we win the title. They talk about us when we win a game "where are they now?" as if we don't want the team to win. Quite how it would be egg on my face if we won the league when I've been saying for the last two seasons that the team is plenty good enough to launch a title challenge is one of lifes mysteries to me, but there you go.

Put simply I agree with the thrust of your point that it requires patience. You don't win the title from fourth to first, we have to get in there and have a challenge at it first, possibly for two seasons. Now I think the manager has brought together an excellent bunch of players, who have been capable of launching that challenge for two seasons now. Had we have done that, we could be realistically talking about winning it this season coming, as opposed to being wildly optimistic to dream of it.

Hopefully all the relevent factors will come into play this season and we'll challenge. I'm supremely confident we will, FWIW I think we'll go very close indeed, within five points or less of the eventual champions with plenty of times during the season where we get the opportunity to dream. I'll be dreaming along with the best of them believe me.

Just as an aside, I think he'll dramatically reduce the rotation of players, formations and positions next season in comparison to what he has done previously. Everyone can decide for themselves then how important it is/was.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:01 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Effes wrote:Irrespective of the players we get, will Rafa curb the rotation to give us
a fighting chance?

Ah what did you have to mention that word for your gonna set Mick off again :laugh:

que: Bigmick wakes up after hearing the word :laugh:

:D i didn't let you down Nan did I?  :laugh: I was in there like a Butchers dog on a Monday, all over it like a kid with a cupcake.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jedi56 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:13 pm

clearly we have players that O'Neil does not think are good enough to get in his squad,can you believe we have players that aston villa don't want....never mind getting into manu,chelsea or arsenal squad.

the players we are interested in buying nobody is actually rushing in to intercept the transfer.so the players we have nobody want to pay,and the players we want nobody else wants....just great another bunch future undisclosed fee ,when we try to sell. barry has about 2 years of quality football left in him before being in his 30's....thus meaning we won't get any money back on the 18 million.....its a embarrassing mess at my club......having said all that we actually should have won the league last season.i hope the players start well this season and maintain it....i predict we will win the league by 12 points....despite having a lack of speed. we really should keep alonso forget barry and keane and go get the new or future up and coming world star for 18 million,from Africa,south america or even england ...last time i checked barry or keane were not destined for world stardom they won'y be winning any world footballer of the year...yet our hopes and dreams rest with them.
jedi56

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:21 pm

jedi56 wrote:clearly we have players that O'Neil does not think are good enough to get in his squad,can you believe we have players that aston villa don't want....never mind getting into manu,chelsea or arsenal squad.

the players we are interested in buying nobody is actually rushing in to intercept the transfer.so the players we have nobody want to pay,and the players we want nobody else wants....just great another bunch future undisclosed fee ,when we try to sell. barry has about 2 years of quality football left in him before being in his 30's....thus meaning we won't get any money back on the 18 million.....its a embarrassing mess at my club......having said all that we actually should have won the league last season.i hope the players start well this season and maintain it....i predict we will win the league by 12 points....despite having a lack of speed. we really should keep alonso forget barry and keane and go get the new or future up and coming world star for 18 million,from Africa,south america or even england ...last time i checked barry or keane were not destined for world stardom they won'y be winning any world footballer of the year...yet our hopes and dreams rest with them.

You are either a wind-up merchant , or completely devoid of any clue about the game of Association Football, or both.

Now I'm sure you're a nice bloke underneath it all, but if it's the first one and you actually support somebody else, why not just say so and we'll have a wee debate about your club to pass the time. I mean it, most people on here are pretty sensible and can discuss everyonbe with the possible exception of Man Utd without foaming at the mouth too much.

If it's the second one, you need to read some books on the subject and do some research I think.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill