Will it be good enough? - Our transfer targets...( source espn).

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Will it be good enough? - Our transfer targets...( source espn).

Yes-They are the final piece of the Puzzle
15%
No- we are still miles off
38%
Maybe-They are a good bt Man utd & Chelsea are too strong
46%

Total votes : 39

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Just for the record it was this bit that made me sit up and take notice.

......having said all that we actually should have won the league last season.i hope the players start well this season and maintain it....i predict we will win the league by 12 points....despite having a lack of speed.

You are joking surely? If not, have you ever considered gambling and if not me and Daws' will happily be your joint bookmakers.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Rumour = Rumour Mill.

Also in the interest of web-etiquite please dont post threads with one line and then discuss.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:35 am

hello_red wrote:We need wingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my exact thought.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:38 pm

We don't need wingers.

We need wings.

Just like the pair Dirk Kuyt has grown.

See?

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm

bigmick wrote:
hello_red wrote:I await angry responses in the vain of 'well enough money has been spent' or 'we have been waiting 18 years its about time'

You might find you're on the wrong side of the fence for angry responses mate. It's really only when you get a bit pessimistic that you get people rounding on you like rabid dogs.

I agree with you about the rotation by the way. If there is anybody who thinks that is the sole reason we have "struggled' in the league, then that is a myth IMHo too. I'm not sure anybody ever said "it's all because of rotation" but if they did, it's a myth.

Winning football matches as our manager so often says, is the result of many tiny details. I don't think it's stretching credibility too much to be of the opinion that playing people in positions they are familiar with (ie not Crouch or Gerrard on the left wing) is a fairly important detail. Equally, playing a formation within which the players know what they are doing, playing players who are demonstrably in form and not "resting" them mid flow, and selecting a bunch of players consistently to enable them to find cohesion and team spirit might be considered quite important too.

I suppose that's where some of us disagree really, about how important thee factors are. Some people think they are largely irrelevent which is an interesting point of view. Some people think they matter a bit, some think they are crucial. My suspicion is from your post that you for instance think they matter less than me, which is fair enough. No anger from my side why should there be? Even if you are of the the opinion that rotation is completely irrelevent, that we could put Torres in goal and still be as effective it doesn't make me angry. Not at all, why should it?

On the "we have spent enough money" and "18 years is long enough", I won't disappoint. Eighteen years is long enough, but Rafa has only been here for four so we can hardly put the previous fourteen at his door if we're being sensible. Eighteen years though is a long time and I'm sure any genuine Liverpool fan can now hear and indeed smell the rancid breath of the Mancs on our shoulders. Lets face it, it's not nice.

We have spent lots of money as well. Enough? Well it really depends on what you want. Is it realistic to expect us, to demand that we win the league because we've spent a lot of money? Definately not when you consider that Man Utd have spent more, also Chelsea obviously. I think given the amount of money we've spent it wouold be legitimate to feel a bit aggrieved if we didn't get in the top four, but we couldn't really demand the title.

For me though, it's not all about money. It's the quality of the players the manager has brought to the club. This is where the argument turns on it's head a bit, as this is where the people who believe the manager never makes a mistake talk about us "not convinceders" getting "egg on our face" if we win the title. They talk about us when we win a game "where are they now?" as if we don't want the team to win. Quite how it would be egg on my face if we won the league when I've been saying for the last two seasons that the team is plenty good enough to launch a title challenge is one of lifes mysteries to me, but there you go.

Put simply I agree with the thrust of your point that it requires patience. You don't win the title from fourth to first, we have to get in there and have a challenge at it first, possibly for two seasons. Now I think the manager has brought together an excellent bunch of players, who have been capable of launching that challenge for two seasons now. Had we have done that, we could be realistically talking about winning it this season coming, as opposed to being wildly optimistic to dream of it.

Hopefully all the relevent factors will come into play this season and we'll challenge. I'm supremely confident we will, FWIW I think we'll go very close indeed, within five points or less of the eventual champions with plenty of times during the season where we get the opportunity to dream. I'll be dreaming along with the best of them believe me.

Just as an aside, I think he'll dramatically reduce the rotation of players, formations and positions next season in comparison to what he has done previously. Everyone can decide for themselves then how important it is/was.

good post mate
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:06 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Tight at the back.

We have the defenders, if only the system were half as good as the defenders

The Manhattan Project wrote:Speed down the flanks.

Accuracy of delivery or just basically the end product is more important than how fast they run. Sure pace troubles full-backs, however the crosses need to trouble the CBs or they might as well run up and down the touchline warming up all match

The Manhattan Project wrote:Two wingers and a support striker for Torres.

So Rafa's signing Barny and Keane, neither of whom will be the best player in the squad in their position and in Barny's case not even the second best, maybe not third best while Alonso stays. Keane will be second best striker by default, if Babel can improve then that may not last long. Both are well short of top quality and youth ie they're not the best about and they're not likely to stay long enough to justify the fees.
Last edited by Owzat on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I totally agree with you ^ owzat. We cannot significently improve our 1st team.... not squad, unless we spend a fortune on 1 player i.e. villa / kaka!!!!!!! If we could get barry and keane it would add depth to squad but not make our first 11 much better, certainly not good enough to compete with united and chelsea. What we need is solidarity, and a back four who man mark!! but dont get me started on that 1.

Anyway.... I hope Rafa proves me wrong!!
Ben1988

Postby club_Levis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:51 pm

Ben1988 wrote:I totally agree with you ^ owzat. We cannot significently improve our 1st team.... not squad, unless we spend a fortune on 1 player i.e. villa / kaka!!!!!!! If we could get barry and keane it would add depth to squad but not make our first 11 much better, certainly not good enough to compete with united and chelsea. What we need is solidarity, and a back four who man mark!! but dont get me started on that 1.

Anyway.... I hope Rafa proves me wrong!!

What we also need is a settled 1st eleven team that plays almost every week.Why not use the money we want to spend on Barry and Keane to get Villa? Looking at what has happened during this window we have been one of the busiest teamin signings yet teams who have signed one or two players are even stronger e.g spurs. Stop gap players wont win us the league.End of.
club_Levis

Postby mistyred » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:44 pm

I think Rafa is a smart man and he remembers what he said about his five year plan, he might just suprise us all.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Not too impressed with his Five year plan at the moment . no quality signing as of yet except dossena and we're almost at the end of july , he keeps signing youngster who might be great in a a year or two but i doubt he will here by than if he does not challenge this season .
We need to bring in keane and barry and a quality winger , we were linked with quaresma and silva so either would do , we need to stop haggling over 2 to 3 million quid , we've payed the price a couple of times already , simao is one example and even alves where we refused to pay 2 to 4 million more for him if i recall when he wasn't that well known yet .
Last edited by Toffeehater on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:52 pm

we need someone with a bit more flare, something different, pace, power, both feet..... give him a licence to run at people and i think he will be awesome for us this season. bable left, keane right and gerrard centre all sat behind torres would be awesome and yes... we can bridge the gap. We still need a better right back tho. doseena impressed in glagow at left back, it's the right back we need sorting now!
Ben1988

Postby Ben1988 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

the flare part was about bable by the way:;):
Ben1988

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill