Tevez in talks for £30m real madrid switch - Damn shame

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:29 pm

You would have thought that having Mascherano at the club would give us some sort of edge over United and Arsenal in terms of getting Tevez, however I read a quote from him last week somewhere stating (regarding Arsenal's interest) that he'd be happy to stay in London.

I've said it before, I'd have Tevez here in a second.  I think he's the business and if we could get him on a season's loan I'd be happier than shelling out 30 million, considering we're already taking one big money gamble on Torres.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:33 pm

john craig wrote:You would have thought that having Mascherano at the club would give us some sort of edge over United and Arsenal in terms of getting Tevez, however I read a quote from him last week somewhere stating (regarding Arsenal's interest) that he'd be happy to stay in London.

There's nothing to suggest we're interested in him, the strong interest in Torres suggests we are not interested in him. The Mascherano link may give us an edge over any potential suitors, but I question whether we are actually trying to sign him anyway given our interest in Torres.
LFC2007

Postby puroresu » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:48 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
john craig wrote:You would have thought that having Mascherano at the club would give us some sort of edge over United and Arsenal in terms of getting Tevez, however I read a quote from him last week somewhere stating (regarding Arsenal's interest) that he'd be happy to stay in London.

There's nothing to suggest we're interested in him, the strong interest in Torres suggests we are not interested in him. The Mascherano link may give us an edge over any potential suitors, but I question whether we are actually trying to sign him anyway given our interest in Torres.

I dont think the Mascherano link really means much.  I mean Inter have numerous Argentinians yet it doesnt mean Tevez will end up there.  Real Madrid have Argentinians as well.
puroresu

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:30 pm

Mascherano isn't just another Argentinian. THey played together at Corinthians and at West Ham
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:49 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Mascherano isn't just another Argentinian. THey played together at Corinthians and at West Ham

What is there to suggest we want to sign him anyway? His friendship with Mascherano is irrelevant if Rafa doesn't want to sign him. If the strong reports suggesting we are on the verge of signing Torres then I'd say we are not looking to sign him as we would then have 6 strikers.
LFC2007

Postby weringo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:28 am

LFC2007 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Mascherano isn't just another Argentinian. THey played together at Corinthians and at West Ham

What is there to suggest we want to sign him anyway? His friendship with Mascherano is irrelevant if Rafa doesn't want to sign him. If the strong reports suggesting we are on the verge of signing Torres then I'd say we are not looking to sign him as we would then have 6 strikers.

We don't have to keep the strikers do we? Crouch could easily be ofloaded to Newcastle for 10-12m as he's young, an English international & would suit fat Sam's long ball tactics, and Kuyt could be returned to Feyenoord for 10m if Rafa kept the receipt. Add in another 8 million and we've got enough for Tevez.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:39 am

weringo wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

We don't have to keep the strikers do we? Crouch could easily be ofloaded to Newcastle for 10-12m as he's young, an English international & would suit fat Sam's long ball tactics, and Kuyt could be returned to Feyenoord for 10m if Rafa kept the receipt. Add in another 8 million and we've got enough for Tevez.

If Rafa doesn't want to sign Tevez then we won't sign him, we are more than likely going to sign Torres, that would give us 5 strikers. Kuyt and Crouch have been given re-assurances that they will stay, Voronin is coming in. If Bellamy leaves I can't see it being anything above £10m so I consider it unlikely that we will sign Tevez unless it was on a loan deal and I don't consider it likely we are going to have 5 strikers plus Tevez for next season.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
weringo wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

If Rafa doesn't want to sign Tevez then we won't sign him, we are more than likely going to sign Torres, that would give us 5 strikers. Kuyt and Crouch have been given re-assurances that they will stay, Voronin is coming in. If Bellamy leaves I can't see it being anything above £10m so I consider it unlikely that we will sign Tevez unless it was on a loan deal and I don't consider it likely we are going to have 5 strikers plus Tevez for next season.

just out of curiosity who would you prefer now that we know we can fork out the money in the range of 27-30 million for a single player? tevez or torres? I would have preferred tevez but I guess the  uncertainty surrounding the player's ownership played an integral part in us going for torres instead...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:22 pm

maguskwt wrote:just out of curiosity who would you prefer now that we know we can fork out the money in the range of 27-30 million for a single player? tevez or torres? I would have preferred tevez but I guess the  uncertainty surrounding the player's ownership played an integral part in us going for torres instead...

Who would I prefer? Eto'o.

There's just as much evidence that we were interested in him as there was evidence linking us with Tevez.

In reality, it strongly appears as if we are about to sign Torres, so my opinion does not matter and I trust Rafa to get it correct. If he was a Diouf-esque signing I may be worried, but from what I've seen I think he has all the attributes to succeed in England.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:36 pm

Even if Torres is a good signing I can't help but love Tevez.
His has great skill, but he also has qualities that will make the fans love him.
He gets the crowd going and has enourmous drive and passion to his game.

Only a dream I guess but I'd love a Torres-Tevez partnership.

Eto'o is much less realistic than tevez for a few reasons, but also the most important reasons.

Eto'o has many times stated that he wants to stay at barca and sees no reason to leave. He is already at one of the biggest clubs in the world and the club itself sees no need to sell him. They can get funds but selling Gudjohnsen, Esquerro etc before thinking of selling Eto'o.

Tevez on the other hand is in the complete opposite situation.
He want to play for a big club and has no reason to stay at his currect club which is a small club. And they don't even own him which gives them little say in the matter.

Tevez has had a year to get used to the PL which I see as a huge plus. The suppost tevez had was abysmal in WH and he still drove them on and there was no way they'd avoided relegation without his help.

Eto'o is not a player to take a team on his shoulders and carry them.
He has Ronaldinho, Deco, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc to give the ball on a silver platter every game which makes it a huge difference.

Add that with fact that Eto'o is older, would cost around 10m more and he will be going to the African nations cup.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 am

Penguins wrote:Eto'o is much less realistic than tevez for a few reasons, but also the most important reasons.

That's irrelevant, if the manager doesn't want to sign them then it isn't going to happen. I don't see us having Kuyt, Crouch, Bellamy, Voronin, Torres and Tevez for next season. I see us having: Kuyt, Crouch, Voronin, Torres - and maybe Bellamy.

I see Bellamy possibly leaving, but I just don't think we will have Tevez - you can speculate all you like - maybe we'll sell Crouch aswell... the facts are that Crouch has been reassured of his future, Kuyt is going nowhere, Voronin is coming in and in all likelihood so will Torres. If Bellamy stays then you can bet your house that Tevez will not be coming here. Even if Bellamy does go, I don't see us having 5 strikers for the start of the season.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:26 am

Penguins wrote:Only a dream I guess but I'd love a Torres-Tevez partnership.

I did write this sentence in my last post.

With Torres, the normal guess would be

Torres, Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin as our 4 strikers.

But Tevez could be used as an offensive mid also since he has wonderful skill and moves over large areas.

And I know some might disagree, but I'd rather sell Kuyt than Crouch if we had to make room for Tevez.
Why?

Crouch has much better technique, dribbling skills, 1st touch etc.
Kuyt is a hard worker but I don't think he has any other attributes that's better than Crouch.
Crouch is a better finisher in my eyes and a much better header. Both are slow so for me Crouch is the better and more useful player.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:35 am

Penguins wrote:
Penguins wrote:Only a dream I guess but I'd love a Torres-Tevez partnership.

I did write this sentence in my last post.

With Torres, the normal guess would be

Torres, Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin as our 4 strikers.

But Tevez could be used as an offensive mid also since he has wonderful skill and moves over large areas.

And I know some might disagree, but I'd rather sell Kuyt than Crouch if we had to make room for Tevez.
Why?

Crouch has much better technique, dribbling skills, 1st touch etc.
Kuyt is a hard worker but I don't think he has any other attributes that's better than Crouch.
Crouch is a better finisher in my eyes and a much better header. Both are slow so for me Crouch is the better and more useful player.

Ok, we can all dream that Tevez will come in, we can dream that Kuyt will be sold to make room for him, we can dream Rafa hires a magic carpet for next season.... we can dream Stu will become a manager and solve all our problems ...we can dream Everton and manure get relegated....

The reality of it is that in all likelihood we will have Kuyt, Crouch, Voronin and Torres as our strikers next season, and maybe Bellamy. Unless we sell Bellamy, then I don't see Tevez coming in, even if we do sell him I find it hard to see how we will accomodate our other forwards.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:43 am

Ya, but we can agree on that Tevez would be a quality signing?
Not likely he will come, but if a chance would come for Rafa I'd hope he would do his outmost to accomodate him.

Who would you sell between Crouch and Kuyt?

Or maybe Tevez could play in the hold behind the striker(s)?
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:49 pm

Penguins wrote:Ya, but we can agree on that Tevez would be a quality signing?
Not likely he will come, but if a chance would come for Rafa I'd hope he would do his outmost to accomodate him.

Who would you sell between Crouch and Kuyt?

Or maybe Tevez could play in the hold behind the striker(s)?

Tevez is quality clearly and I wouldn't sell either of Crouch or Kuyt.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill