Summer transfers

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

GYBS wrote:got to agree with everything you have said there - one very high quality signing plus a couple more for back up

Disagree with both thoughts...
Both Gerrard and Torres seem to be injury prone in recent years. Maybe that's to do with the club rushing them back, too many non-Premiership games (I'm including Cups, friendlies, internationals etc...), their own physique.....truth is I don't know.
What I do know is that we rely way too much on a partnership between a midfielder and a striker and if either/or is injured, we look relatively toothless, one or two exceptional performances aside (ref: Chelsea in the Champions League QF).
I would be thinking we need either existing squad players to step up to the plate and state their intentions as "good enough to wear the shirt", or we get - preferably - adequate replacements in the summer.
Look who the Chavs and those prima donnas from Manchester have on the bench, ffs ?
Rely on Torres/Gerrard too much and that will be our downfall again.
Also....I'm not convinced by either full back, and I also think we're a bit suspect at the centre half position(s). Carra doesn't have the pace and with a big centre half in front of him (Drogba in particular), he's very exposed. Skrtel just doesn't convince me.
I think we can do better than Benayoun and Lucas also...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby GYBS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Can see where your coming from mate but who would we get to come and sit on the bench as cover for torres or gerrard that is of high quality ? would love a tevez on the bench or a scholes to come on to replace a gerrard but its being able to afford a player of that calibre and only have him as back up ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Mate, I don't think Rafa should "sell" Liverpool as an option for a potential signing to come and sit on the bench. At the same time, I DO think he needs to do something about this obsession with a defensive mentality. What we've seen when we've gone all-out attack on Real Madrid and Manure is that when we go 'offence first', we can take anybody one. And as for the game this week (and the one earlier on this season), we can trash even the most allegedly untouchable home records (Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge).
So back to topic....
If we play to our strengths, and play attacking football - dare I say it like Arsenal, 'cos I think their brand of football is great to watch - I don't think it'd be too hard to sway a couple of big signings.
And one other thing : hopefully with all this handbags lark gone between Rafa and the board, there should be less dithering over who has the authority to sign a player or not. I still think though that Rafa's treatment of Keane will be at the front of many minds when it comes to signing on the dotted line...
bunglemark2

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 pm

bavlondon wrote:From what I seen of him against utd over 2 legs he looks a capable lad but then again it was only 2 games. I don't really follow the Portugese league though. Is he in the Brazil squad?

I don't think he has just yet.  Maybe he will though following his performance against Mwanck Utd, and I believe he's been doing quite well in the Portuguese league.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby JC_81 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:10 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:What we've seen when we've gone all-out attack on Real Madrid and Manure is that when we go 'offence first', we can take anybody one.

I think this comment along with slating Benitez for defensive tactics is a bit naive.

Yes we've shown that when Torres and Gerrard are bang in form we are capable of taking teams apart with a more open style of play.  We've also shown home and away against Chelsea in the CL that when we play open football and our big guns don't fire, we are also capable of being ripped apart ourselves.

Our defence has a good record because it is shielded by two sitting midfielders mainly, but they get horribly exposed when we try to open up and play.

Bottom line is we don't have the players to play that open style every week, but it can be used on occasion to surprise teams - ie the Madrid game.

Sorry but suggesting that playing attacking football is playing to our strengths is complete bollox mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 pm

john craig wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:What we've seen when we've gone all-out attack on Real Madrid and Manure is that when we go 'offence first', we can take anybody one.

I think this comment along with slating Benitez for defensive tactics is a bit naive.

Yes we've shown that when Torres and Gerrard are bang in form we are capable of taking teams apart with a more open style of play.  We've also shown home and away against Chelsea in the CL that when we play open football and our big guns don't fire, we are also capable of being ripped apart ourselves.

Our defence has a good record because it is shielded by two sitting midfielders mainly, but they get horribly exposed when we try to open up and play.

Bottom line is we don't have the players to play that open style every week, but it can be used on occasion to surprise teams - ie the Madrid game.

Sorry but suggesting that playing attacking football is playing to our strengths is complete bollox mate.

have to agree there... i think we need a couple more really good attacking options (a right winger has to be priority for me) and then we can talk about going into big games with an attack attack mentality... for now sitting back and defending is indeed the best thing we do.. try to catch them on the counter or get a lucky break somehow...

Against the smaller sides we need quality going forward, besides Gerrard and Torres we seem to be lacking in that....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeah we need someone else that can get goals on a regular basis. Yossi has done well this year but we need more.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:25 pm

bavlondon wrote:Yeah we need someone else that can get goals on a regular basis. Yossi has done well this year but we need more.

its not just the scoring.. thats the thing.. Kuyt has scored his fair share of goals this season but i still think hes a major part of the bigger problem... hes just a poor footballer and it shows when we'r trying to break teams down and it starts getting frustrating.. he has very little to offer in terms of attacking contribution if hes not scoring and with the one man upfront setup we have going we need our attacking players doing all the movement and the dribbling to open up spaces... all credit to Kuyt for the goals and effort but it just doesnt compensate, not for me... bet many other clubs are interested though and for good reason.. guess im just an idiot or maybe i see things funny but im sure if we had a Robben on an actual winger down the right flank we'd look a daamn sight better going forward than we do now...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby das20093 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:39 pm

voronin-9mil??? ???
das20093

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:41 am

I'd love to see this team next season.  The new players would probably cost around 25 mill though.                   

Reina
      Anyukov,Carragher,Skrtel,Aurelio
Blaszczykowski,Mascherano,Alonso,Riera
                     Gerrard
                     Torres
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:13 am

GYBS wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:
Almighty Red wrote:I'd love to get Silva. Maybe they'd take Babel? I reckon that could get the fee down to £15m-ish, which would be well worth it for a player of his quality. Of course, a right winger should be a priority, I think, so maybe we should be going after someone like Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas or Kuba instead. Then again, if there really is a chance of getting Silva, I'd be gutted if we didn't go in for him...

I don't think Navas will ever leave Sevilla

Navas suffers from cronic home sickness so cant even play for spain let alone leave the country

you serious mate ? how do you know that ?

Fantastic player though
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
GYBS wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:
Almighty Red wrote:I'd love to get Silva. Maybe they'd take Babel? I reckon that could get the fee down to £15m-ish, which would be well worth it for a player of his quality. Of course, a right winger should be a priority, I think, so maybe we should be going after someone like Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas or Kuba instead. Then again, if there really is a chance of getting Silva, I'd be gutted if we didn't go in for him...

I don't think Navas will ever leave Sevilla

Navas suffers from cronic home sickness so cant even play for spain let alone leave the country

you serious mate ? how do you know that ?

Fantastic player though

Football manager.  :laugh:

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:28 pm

ruskiy playmaker wrote:I'd love to see this team next season.  The new players would probably cost around 25 mill though.                   

Reina
      Anyukov,Carragher,Skrtel,Aurelio
Blaszczykowski,Mascherano,Alonso,Riera
                     Gerrard
                     Torres

This would be my ideal team.

Reina
      Johnson,Carragher,Skrtel,Aurelio
       Kuyt,Mascherano,Alonso,Barry
                     Gerrard
                     Torres/Pogrebnyak

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Rafa talks tongue in cheek.

If he has a wish list of 95 players, how come we bought Voronin, Pennant, Degen, Dossena etc... dont tell me they were at the top of the said list?  ???
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:32 pm

I await with baited breath who we're gonna be linked with this summer.....
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill