Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Eagle » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm

kazza » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 am wrote:Meanwhile….

Looks like we are interested in John McGinn though he has a 50million release clause, Andy Robertson recommending him to Klopp to bring needed attributes to the team, ie incredible engine, big heart and technical ability. I hope we go for him as he has real grit and seems like an improvement to the team. I’d happily swap him for Keita despite his potential.

Can you ever go wrong with a Scottish midfielder?

Charlie Adam says hello.
Eagle

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Eagle » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:09 am wrote:
kazza » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 am wrote:Meanwhile….

Looks like we are interested in John McGinn though he has a 50million release clause, Andy Robertson recommending him to Klopp to bring needed attributes to the team, ie incredible engine, big heart and technical ability. I hope we go for him as he has real grit and seems like an improvement to the team. I’d happily swap him for Keita despite his potential.

Can you ever go wrong with a Scottish midfielder?

Charlie Adam says hello.

:laugh:

Problem with him was he was just a little fat  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:30 am wrote:Then watch in other games then because he had been excellent for Villa all season - he is an excellent player

Englands midfield couldn’t handle him as well

Looked down on just because he at Villa and not foriegn

Err the England v Scotland game was 0-0, barely anything happened and if one player stood out in Scotland’s midfield it was the lad from Chelsea Gilmour, Gilmour only just turned 20 a week or so ago and even though he’s still a kid he’s still in a different class to McGinn who is in his footballing prime.
Of all the CM players who played in that game (Gilmour, Phillips, Rice and McGinn) McGinn would be the last one I’d pick, nothing against the lad he’s an honest trier but I just don’t think he’s a top quality player, for £50m as well, Jesus Christ.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:47 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:30 am wrote:Then watch in other games then because he had been excellent for Villa all season - he is an excellent player

Err the England v Scotland game was 0-0, barely anything happened and if one player stood out in Scotland’s midfield it was the lad from Chelsea Gilmour, Gilmour only just turned 20 a week or so ago and even though he’s still a kid he’s still in a different class to McGinn who is in his footballing prime.
Of all the CM players who played in that game (Gilmour, Phillips, Rice and McGinn) McGinn would be the last one I’d pick, nothing against the lad he’s an honest trier but I just don’t think he’s a top quality player, for £50m as well, Jesus Christ.

The price being too high doesn’t make him a championship player as you suggested

He is a Premiership standard player - he has shown he doesn’t look out of place in the Premiership all season long - no one will pay £50mil for him but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a good signing at the right price and would actually fill the gap left by Gini again at the right price

But then I guess you haven’t seen him much and just dismissed him because he is a player at Villa and doesn’t do the flashy stuff - just like Gini did at Newcastle , maybe if McGinn was Dutch it would be different
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:58 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm wrote:

I looked at their stats compared and while McGinn was slightly better than Gini in offensive numbers, he gave the ball away too much where Gini was excellent at ball retention ( something like 77% to Gini’s 92% in passing) and that is not going to do for Klopp no matter how much he runs. Losing possession from midfield after pressing high is the one thing they are tasked not to do in that situation. My guess is if we do get someone it will be a player that keeps possession as well as Gini did. McGinn looks more like Ox and Keita, which we don’t need. Probably should have checked his stats before I posted….
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:47 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm wrote:

The price being too high doesn’t make him a championship player as you suggested

He is a Premiership standard player - he has shown he doesn’t look out of place in the Premiership all season long - no one will pay £50mil for him but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a good signing at the right price and would actually fill the gap left by Gini again at the right price

But then I guess you haven’t seen him much and just dismissed him because he is a player at Villa and doesn’t do the flashy stuff - just like Gini did at Newcastle , maybe if McGinn was Dutch it would be different

McGinn wouldn’t look out of place in the championship, indeed he has spent most of his career playing in Scotland and the lower league’s and he’s not far off 27. Besides the premier league is a pretty broad church and saying someone is good enough to play in the prem isn’t saying much, being good enough to play in the division doesn’t necessarily make you good enough to play in a team that’s hoping to compete for the biggest prizes in the club game. Vinny Jones was a top flight player, he was also an FA Cup winner back when that actually meant something, that doesn’t mean we should have signed him.
As for Gini go look at the first page of his thread to see what I thought when we were first linked with him back in 2016. And re all that guff about if he had a foreign name etc I’ve lost count of the amount of times over the years I have said on these boards ‘dont want him’ and at a guess I’d say the majority have been foreign names, granted that’s mainly because most of the players we get linked to are foreigners but even so this idea that I don’t want McGinn because he’s not foreign is ridiculous, I don’t want McGinn because I don’t think he’s good enough. If Klopp and Edwards think he’s good enough then fair enough but I’m free to have an opinion of my own.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:10 pm

He has spent the last two season in the Premier League

His career path is not much different to Andy Robertson but I guess you prob dismissed him as “would fit well in the Championship”

McGinn is the exact type of player that fits in the mould of what Klopp wants - they won’t pay £50mil for him but at a decent price he would do well at the club

I suspect you just haven’t seen him play much
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 pm

McGinn was part of the Scottish midfield that completely suffocated our English midfield. You can have all the flair and skill in the world but when you have players like Robbo and McGinn closing you down all game not letting you do anything ..you run out of legs, ideas, and basically quit.

He'd be a good signing.. but £50m is absolutely ridiculous. Can't we give them £50m plus Origi instead?
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:37 am

McGinn’s pass completion is 77% and Gini’s was 92.5 percent, that is what you need to replace, that means he gives the ball away 23% compared to Gini’s 7.5% and that is a big difference. You can run opposition down all day long but if you give the ball away from midfield a quarter of the time you will be in big trouble defensively, for a team that presses high that could be disastrous. Also consider, those stats are playing with Villa that did not press high like we do, it could be worse for us.

McGinn is more a replacement for Ox and Keita who’s pass completion is 81% and 83% respectively as he has a similar game.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:12 am

Benfica have made an official approach to sign Harry Wilson- but initial talks have broken down due to €15 million asking price. LFC expect them to come back in. Brentford and West Brom have also registered their interest.
[@JamesPearceLFC]
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Been consistently linked with Mbappe.. especially now he's handed in a transfer request. I think they're worried of him leaving on a free next year so would probably accept a bid with in the £100m region. I'd be tempted to straight swap for Salah as they're interested in him to replace Mbappe.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:43 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:25 pm wrote:Been consistently linked with Mbappe.. especially now he's handed in a transfer request. I think they're worried of him leaving on a free next year so would probably accept a bid with in the £100m region. I'd be tempted to straight swap for Salah as they're interested in him to replace Mbappe.

I’d take that all day long but PSG will never do that, we’d get arrested. With Salah plus 50million I’d still do it all day long. Mbappe is a future “ best player in the world”
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:26 am

Cant see FSG ever sanctioning a signing like Mbappe. Not unless the likes of Nike subsidised it or they put their hands in their own pockets.

Mc Ginn would be more their kind of player as in, wouldnt cost a lot and wouldnt be getting big money. He is probably on cloud 9 with all the rumours.

If we are going to shop at Villa then it should be Grealish we are going for. Really doubt they would pay that fee either.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:47 pm

We paid an initial £36.5m fee that could rise to £43m for Salah, he's repaid very penny. He's probably worth £65m so I'd pay Mo + 40.
Mo's paid £200,000 a week plus bonuses, so I reckon we'd draw the line at 250 a week before bonus.

So the question is, is Mbappe worth 40-50 million cash plus 50k a week.  Yes.

We'd probably recover a lot of that straight away in increased sponsorship, increased fan base interest and shirt sales etc..

Go for it.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill