Jermaine pennant - In the bag

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby GOAT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:48 am

passmeistro_#14 wrote:Reports suggest that Liverpool will have to come up with £7million if they want to prise winger Jermaine Pennant away from Birmingham City.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez is a fan of the former Arsenal winger, and it is thought he will pursue the player if a move for Sevilla's Daniel Alves eventually fails.

Ridiculous that, wasnt the whole point in us getting pennant instead of alves to get him on the cheap so we have money left for a class striker? Pennant a definate no to me especially at that price. Get alves and trezeguet on the cheap snapped up or camoranesi if alves is dead
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 am

GOAT wrote:
passmeistro_#14 wrote:Reports suggest that Liverpool will have to come up with £7million if they want to prise winger Jermaine Pennant away from Birmingham City.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez is a fan of the former Arsenal winger, and it is thought he will pursue the player if a move for Sevilla's Daniel Alves eventually fails.

Ridiculous that, wasnt the whole point in us getting pennant instead of alves to get him on the cheap so we have money left for a class striker? Pennant a definate no to me especially at that price. Get alves and trezeguet on the cheap snapped up or camoranesi if alves is dead

Rafa's main priority is a RW, thats why he's looking to get Trezeguet on loan  :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mitch22 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:47 am

The bids in 6 million
Liverpool are magic Everton are ..... :censored:
mitch22

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:59 am

6 million Pffffffffft he's worth half of that who do Brum think we are.  ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:39 am

mitch22 wrote:The bids in 6 million

source?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:18 am

I heard the very same rumour on Talksport this morning whilst en route to work. Said that Rafa had bid £6m. I assume this means that his journey to Spain was unsuccessful!!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:36 am

Its in todays Mirror that we have bid 6 million as well. From the article it appears that we will probably get him.
I dont mind actually, he is a quality player and would give us far more options if he signs.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:55 am

I'm starting to think it might be in the best interests of the team for us to sign Pennant. I really like Alves, and it's obvious that Benitez desperately wants him, but I just can't see what the balance of the side would be with him in it.

I mean you'd have to drop one of Sissoko, Gerrard or Alonso to accomodate him and thus the team would be weakened in my opinion. Pennant would be prepared to sit on the bench for the majority of the time though, allowing us to use the same midfield which served us so well last season - with Gonzalez strengthening the left hand side.

£6M is a far bit for a squad player, but in this instance it may make sense because of the dough it will free up for our pursuit of a striker.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:11 am

I think if we sign pennant we will get kuyt. if we sign alves we will get trez on loan. Id rather go for the latter personally but you never know with King Rafa what hes gonna do next
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:00 pm

dawson99 wrote:I think if we sign pennant we will get kuyt. if we sign alves we will get trez on loan. Id rather go for the latter personally but you never know with King Rafa what hes gonna do next

I would agree with you on that one. It seems to be a bit of balancing act at the moment.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby fowler4ever » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:14 pm

personally I wouldnt mind seeing pennant sign for us to release more money to sign A better quality striker,
after watching him last season I was quite impressed with his attitude, even when the chips were down in some of the brum games he seemed to be the one player who battled on to the end, I think he may have that winning mentality we are looking for, I think he has the speed and ability and maybe playing with the better quality players within our squad it may just may bring out a little gem of a player.

just as a little side bet, if he does sign I wouldnt be suprised to see him turn up in the england squad in the near future.
???
Last edited by fowler4ever on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fowler4ever

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Its in todays Mirror that we have bid 6 million as well. From the article it appears that we will probably get him.
I dont mind actually, he is a quality player and would give us far more options if he signs.

Here's the Mirror article:

PENN'S RIGHT AT £6M
By Alan Nixon
RAFA BENITEZ has made a new £6million bid for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant - and hopes to finally get his man by the end of the week.

The Liverpool boss wants tricky Pennant to give his attack more width and options, and has edged up close to the valuation wanted by the relegated Blues.

Birmingham had demanded a profit on the player they signed from Arsenal a year ago and now Liverpool have found the extra cash - after seeing proposed swap deals kicked into touch.

Pennant is also willing to go to Anfield even if it means competing for a game under Benitez's regime, but with European competition a carrot there should be plenty of chances for him.

Liverpool have been negotiating for months, and now Benitez has pressurised his bosses to come up with the right offer - and Brum boss Steve Bruce is also now planning for the sale by looking at replacements.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:26 pm

Please God , NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :(

Will of course be happy to be proven wrong but imo Pennant looks like a big fish when he's in a small pool , but move him to a larger one e.g. LiverPOOL and he'll be revealed for what he really is , an overated under achiever . For christs sake ! I don't exactley see other top clubs lining up to splash the cash on this lemon . Are we so desperate that we seriously consider burning £6 mill on a player who is distinctly second tier.

Please Rafa , don't do it .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:29 pm

from SSN

Birmingham City winger Jermaine Pennant has insisted he is happy at the club despite continuing interest from Liverpool.

Blues have so far rejected the advances of the Premiership giants for the former Arsenal man and despite their relegation to The Championship, have been able to hold onto the majority of their stars.

Striker Emile Heskey made an instant return to the top-flight with Wigan, while defender Kenny Cunningham left the club at the end of last season, but otherwise their Championship squad will be similar to last season's with a few astute additions.

Pennant continues to be linked with a move away from the club during the summer but Birmingham have slapped an £8 million price tag on him in the hope of frightening off interest from Premiership clubs for the player they paid £3 million for last summer.

The 23-year-old insists he is fully focused on the task ahead of helping the St Andrews outfit win promotion back to The Premiership next season and has put speculation of a move away from the club to the back of his mind.

"I still have two years left on my contract and Birmingham have said nothing to me about whether they want to let me go or they have agreed anything with another club. And Liverpool haven't contacted me, so that's it," Pennant told the Birmingham Mail.

"I am taking every day as it comes as a Birmingham player. All the speculation and stuff doesn't bother me. If no-one actually says anything to me, then I ignore it.

"Like I said, I'm still here and I'm looking forward to the start of the season. No-one likes to get relegated. And we shouldn't have gone down, everyone knows that.

"That's in the past now, let's look to the future, try and rebuild and get back into the Premiership. We've got some new players in who are keen to impress, and mainly the same squad as last season.

"I'm sure what we are doing, all the hard work in training, and the determination of everyone, we will take those things into the Championship. I think we've definitely got a chance of coming back up.

"Although people like Emile Heskey and Kenny Cunningham have gone, we've still got a big squad with quality players and we can push to win the league."

Meanwhile, Liverpool have denied making an improved bid for Pennant.

Manager Rafa Benitez is still on the lookout for reinforcements ahead of the new season and is reportedly considering matching Birmingham's asking price after Daniel Alves' switch to Anfield stalled.

However, chief executive Rick Parry has confirmed that The Reds have not tabled a fresh bid but were still monitoring the situation.

"We have not made a bid for Jermaine Pennant," Parry said in the Liverpool Echo.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Despite the article hinting Pennant is happy there, he is not actually quoted as saying he'll definitely be there next season or that he wouldn't be interested if Liverpool approached him.  He was very vague about what he said and the article really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know:

Birmingham want to keep him.
We have not yet made a bid but are interested.

I'd bet Pennant would jump at the chance to sign for us.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill