Jermaine pennant - In the bag

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:51 am

Great imagine the chrimbo party Bellamy, Pennant might aswell sign Joey Barton they'll have a ball.  :O
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:38 am

Looks like we have cooled our intertest in Pennant with the focus now on Alves for the RW position. I would have liked to see Pennant at Anfield as well. He would be a good addition to the squad. If we are to flog Kromkamp as part of the Kuyt deal when we would need cover down the right.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby rafa's_rebel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 pm

He'd be very good............................is he worth the trouble he'll cause
rafa's_rebel

Postby Rafa D » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:49 pm

Pennant is coming to Anfield according to the ECHO - quite possible now
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:52 pm

good news but how much?
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:23 am

Pennant update from Kev on YNWA:

"In the space of less than a week Birmingham have upped his price from £3.5 to £5m. This has forced a rethink on our part and we are now looking at two players who will cost less. Don't know the names as yet.

But reading between the lines, it looks like Seville are pricing us out of Alves, Birmingham pricing us out of Pennant, so we are now down to player 'C' and 'D'.

But to reiterate, Pennant WAS signing for us, but Birmingham moved the goalposts at the last minute. So unless we meet Brimingham's new valuation or they come down to the original figure, it is highly unlikely that he'll sign."

I think we should offer 8 mill for SWP and just get it bloody over with two wingers at the cost of 2.5 mill is not the way to go.
For class you need to pay for it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:44 am

Rafa is at it here. He knows what he is doing and will get the man/men he wants. His dealings are all being donw very low key. Watch this space. :)
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:49 am

Ciggy wrote:Pennant update from Kev on YNWA:

"In the space of less than a week Birmingham have upped his price from £3.5 to £5m. This has forced a rethink on our part and we are now looking at two players who will cost less. Don't know the names as yet.

But reading between the lines, it looks like Seville are pricing us out of Alves, Birmingham pricing us out of Pennant, so we are now down to player 'C' and 'D'.

But to reiterate, Pennant WAS signing for us, but Birmingham moved the goalposts at the last minute. So unless we meet Brimingham's new valuation or they come down to the original figure, it is highly unlikely that he'll sign."

I think we should offer 8 mill for SWP and just get it bloody over with two wingers at the cost of 2.5 mill is not the way to go.

I would happily take SWP ahead of any of the right wingers we've been linked with to date.  Just can't see it though.  8 million?  That would be Chelsea taking over a 12 million loss on the player after one season?  They'll end up loaning him back to Man City or something, I doubt they'd do business with one of their closest rivals, and in doing so solving their problem position.

I still think Benitez might go to 5 million for Pennant.  To me that's better business than going over 10 for Alves.  Who can blame Birmingham for holding out though, we stroked them for Heskey :D
Last edited by JC_81 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:51 am

Ciggy wrote:I think we should offer 8 mill for SWP and just get it bloody over with two wingers at the cost of 2.5 mill is not the way to go.

Ciggy- do you really reckon we could get SWP (Shaun Wright Phillips for Leon  :D ) for 8m? What a buy that would be, although he doesn't offer much support in defence as someone like Alves would!! (Not that he's looking possible at the moment.

As much as i'd like to support peoples theory that Rafa's got it all under control i remember saying the same thing last time when we were all left disappointed. Let's hoe he's not down to option C and D!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:09 am

tommycockles wrote:As much as i'd like to support peoples theory that Rafa's got it all under control i remember saying the same thing last time when we were all left disappointed. Let's hoe he's not down to option C and D!!

The reason we were left disappointed last summer is that Benitez waited too long negotiating with specific players - e.g. we waited on Figo for about a month before he told us he wasn't going to bother.  This time Benitez has learned from his mistakes and he is switching to alternative targets sooner, it's good management I think.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:30 am

john craig wrote: This time Benitez has learned from his mistakes and he is switching to alternative targets sooner, it's good management I think.

yes, the amount of people who 'd1cked us about' last year was incredible, Figo, simoa, the government(speedy's permit), stevie g,  its a wonder Rafa had anytime to plan the season. This year has seen a stark contrast everyone looks to already have their boots on ready for the start, I'm not sure whether Cisse has actually gone yet but if he has that would mean we have no injury worries. Sweet. Can't wait.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:59 am

We should just bin Alves off and look at Joaquin or Pennant, deffo :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 am

john craig wrote:

I would happily take SWP ahead of any of the right wingers we've been linked with to date.  Just can't see it though.  8 million?  That would be Chelsea taking over a 12 million loss on the player after one season?  They'll end up loaning him back to Man City or something, I doubt they'd do business with one of their closest rivals, and in doing so solving their problem position.

I still think Benitez might go to 5 million for Pennant.  To me that's better business than going over 10 for Alves.  Who can blame Birmingham for holding out though, we stroked them for Heskey :D

and wigan have just bid for Heskey so its clear out time at Brum
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 pm

clik wrote:
john craig wrote:

and wigan have just bid for Heskey so its clear out time at Brum

lmao, they bid £5m too, suppose it's better than the £11m we paid  :no
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:52 pm

i think the Pennant deal is only a matter of time to be honest considering his agent, Sky Andrews (who also happens to represent Jermaine Defoe) was at Melwood this week. :oops:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill