Thugs, racists , criminals and rapists. - And thats just the players !

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:58 am

Someone posted a thread recently asking if fans felt sorry for Graeme Souness and the situations he has found himself having to deal with at Newcastle particularly in the light of yesterday's events at St James Park.

It got me thinking about the state of the game today and the conduct of it's proponents namely the players. With massive salaries and superstar status exaserbated in part by the media and you have to assume the public's fascination with celebrity football players have found themselves in the limelight and as likely to be on the front pages as much as the back.

This weekend saw the first ever electronic TAG worn by a player in the premiership, players at Newcastle involved in a brawl and it brought to mind how quiet it's gone on the whole episode of the allegations of gang rape in a certain London Hotel last year.

My question is simply this ......When does a player's conduct on or off the pitch make him unemployable in the modern game and why is it that managers and clubs seem to place a person's ability to play a sport (In this case football ) as the sole concern when deciding what action they are going to take.

Pennant went to jail for stealing a  friends car and being caught drink driving for the SECOND time in as many months yet walks out of prison and into the loving arms of Steve Bruce (maybe thats punishment enough!) who then proceeds to tell anyone who will listen what a  good lad Jermaine is, how talented he is and how he is easily influenced (Yeah right on that score Bruce, easily under the influence  ???).

The FA then abdicate all responsibility by asking the REFEREE to decide whether he is able to play with an electronic TAG  :Oo:

I must be getting old or maybe to me it has always mattered what a  player is like off the pitch as well as on it.

Today's head to head between Dyer and Bowyer highlights the lack of discipline amoungst professional players but no doubt Souness will come out praising the abilities of the lads and try and salvage their careers and keep them at the club. Funny how calling your manager a Liar as Bellamy did the other month is considered a worse offence than endangering life in a  Motor vehicle or fighting on a  pitch ..... :suspect:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:25 am

Excellent post Ian.

It is sad that nowadays some players on their massive wages think they are above the law and proceed to do whatever they want, knowing that they are good foootballers and that they will not be punished as severely as an average Joe in the street.

What would have happened if two fans had started a puch up and it was caught n camera, no doubt they would never be allowed at a football match again.

Souness has had this to say.

Souness reaction

These players are role models to thousands of children everywhere and it's time they started behaving like it. Of course their are still many model professionals like Carragher at LFC for example who are great role models, it is just a small minority like in any society that spoil it for the rest.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:40 am

Personally i think football just is a mirror of today society where people with money and power in alot of cases think they are above the law
The more money that goes in, the more corrupt decadent behaviour you will see
The root of all evil  :)
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:39 am

http://hem.bredband.net/jenslindmark/bowyer_vs_dyer.mpg

Disgrace to football both of em. :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:37 pm

i bet alan shearer's really pleased he's staying for another season now after claiming "the club was on the up".

yeah looks like it al :D

this is the first time i can ever remember a press conference being called for players to apologise for a sending off. from the pictures i saw, bowyer just went mental when dyer twice refused to pass the ball to him.

as much as i dislike dyer, he had been playing well recently and was looking to have cleaned up his act a bit. however he was not the instigator in this incident. as for that thug bowyer, he should be booted out of football for good. :angry:

http://hem.bredband.net/jenslindmark/bowyer_vs_dyer.mpg
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:10 pm

I find it funny that so many people are taking the moral high ground. If memory serves me right a lot of you hoped the Thai prime minister would buy LFC as it would bring in money. The corruption (he couldn't tell his money from his countries) and human rights violations didn't seem to bother you.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:15 pm

yeah but thats money :D

chill out niall
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion