Sean wright phillips - Should we have pushed harder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:10 pm

regarding using Hypia and Risse to defend the policy of buying unknows:

If you throw enough darts at a dart board you'll eventually hit a bulls eye. I think we can rattle through many more than 2 who were ******.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Hopefully with Nunez and Alonso now on board, we should be able to go forward on both flank. We should see more creativity there. Just give them couple of games to gel and we should be ok. As for SWP, he really had improved alot but I have my doubt with EPL being such a physical league that SWP is now a known player and will subject to more physical abuse. So, I think we need one more season to see if SWP still performed at a top level.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby madred » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:18 pm

Yeah you have a point Niall but from what ive heard about SWP he was ready to make the step up to play for a big club like Liverpool but has decided to stay at City. I dont think he would have been a gamble but i dont think Benitez was really interested in him anyway.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:47 pm

Hey, where's the consistency?

In one breath SWP has potential but needs to prove himself further, and in the next, we've already missed out on signing Defoe.

I agree Defoe certainly looks the part but you could certainly argue he needs to put in another quality season to be sure.

I agree with Madred, you have to sign some players based on their potential. 2 seasons ago SWP looked shaky enough but his improvement has been dramatic. He puts everything in the game and he makes things happen. At times on Saturday our midfield looked short on ideas. I think he could have been part of that answer.

Defoe has obvious class and always has had. Players like Defoe, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Fowler, Owen, Cole, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney etc can handle anything thrown at them. They come through and you can instantly see their class.

Wright-Phillips could become as good a winger as Hamann is in the middle or he could fail and become another Huckerby. Wright-Phillips isn't good enough for Liverpool and isn't a Liverpool player.

Big Naill, again, making clueless points. All great players are unkown at some stage.

I done a team to shove this point up Hustlers ****** a month or so ago.

Players like Gallas, Anelka, Petit, Vieira, Toure, Riise, Hyypia, Solskjaer, Josemi (buy the looks of it).

It doesn't matter how well known a player is when he comes here. I couldn't give a chuff if he'd won the League in Italy and was regarded as one of the best players in the world or if he played for Willem II in Holland, as long as they were a class act i couldn't give a flying ******. If anything i'd preffere the unknown as we  could make a profit.

The players i was reffering to up above, Veron and Hyypia.

You don't always get what you pay for.

You have to sign quality and it doesn't matter weather they're known, or unknown.
115-1073096938

Postby fivecups » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:01 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Defoe has obvious class and always has had. Players like Defoe, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Fowler, Owen, Cole, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney etc can handle anything thrown at them. They come through and you can instantly see their class.

Wright-Phillips could become as good a winger as Hamann is in the middle or he could fail and become another Huckerby. Wright-Phillips isn't good enough for Liverpool and isn't a Liverpool player.

Your certainly putting Defoe in esteemed company.

I think that at the current early stages of their careers Wright-Phillips has as much potential as Defoe. I can't see what will happen in the future but thats my feeling.

The only way to prove which one turns out better is to wait and see. My feeling is that in a few years time SWP will be an England regular.

We'll see.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:13 pm

No i disagree.

Overhyped.

Doesn't possess what it takes physically and doesn't have the brains to compensate. His awareness isn't good enough and his movement off the ball is poor. His Crossing isn't of a good enough standard and his defensive work isn't strong enough.

Yes he can dribbe, yes his touch is decent and he's quick and skillfull aswell.

He's a decent player and i expect him to be good player at this level for years to come but he'll never be truely class player. He's also not a Liverpool FC style player.
115-1073096938

Postby bpm1976 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:36 pm

I do like what i have seen of SWP over the last season, but when he signed a new contract I wasnt to gutted.  I have faith in RB to bring in the players we need to take us forward!
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

bpm1976

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:13 am

A lot of people seem to be saying that SWP isnt good enough for LFC and everytime a player is linked with us people say there not good enough yet when Rafa spends 10m on a spaniard we dont really know, we all just trust him (including me cos of his track record with players), well could someone just explain to me what good enough for liverpool is and who in the Liverpool squad is good enough for LFC at the moment?.....Cos i think if SWP was to come to Liverpool he would be r 2nd best midfielder and at 22, plenty of time to improve......and also, would he get in the current LFC team, i think hed walk into it now probs.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:01 am

well speech from you bruno~

all is rubbish unless alonso put his pen on the contract but why shouldn't we all will shock by a unbelievable link by benitez with ronaldinho or caslos tevez and we sign both of them for 10m....haha

:p

i think only spaniards will appear in rafa's brain..:D
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion