Wright-phillips - Would you want him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:13 am

This was in last nights Echo!!!

Manchester City midfielder Shaun Wright-Phillips is a summer transfer target for Liverpool. 

The 22-year-old, is understood to be attracted to a switch to Merseyside and Liverpool are big admirers of the exciting rightsided midfielder.

However, any swoop for a player rated around £10m is certain to depend on Liverpool's qualification into the Champions League.

Manager Gerard Houllier will also need to raise funds by trimming his squad during the close season.

Liverpool will draw up a list of possible recruits to bolster their squad and while there has been no approach to City, Wright-Phillips will be among the stars under serious consideration.

Should City be relegated - and they currently stand fourth from bottom and just two points off the drop zone - then Wright-Phillips' bility would also make him an attractive option.

Djibril Cisse's signing from Auxerre is secure but Houllier will be looking for more ing purchases to ensure no repeat of this season's disappointing campaign, which continued with a 0-0 draw against Fulham at Anfield on Saturday.

Wright-Phillips was recently nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year Award and was named in Sven Goran Eriksson's last England squad.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:52 am

Wright Phillips is a handy little player and I like him in that he always gives his all and he's the kind of player who can use his pace and stamina to occasionally turn games in the dying minutes as we have seen for Man City this season.........but.....

Wright Phillips is a midget, pure and simple. Tiny (i.e. below 5 foot 5) players usually shine when they are young as they have searing pace (how else would they make it in the English game) but after the age of 25 the novelty begins to wear off and small players normally disappear off the radar as the pass their mid twenties.

There are one or two exceptions (Gianfranco Zola) but generally speaking tiny players (and there a difference from being "small" like Michael Owen and "tiny" like Wright Phillips and Ronnie Corbett) never really make it at the top level: look at what happened Julian Joachim.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:59 am

I like Wright-Phillips - He tore us to shreds away at Man City at Christmas. I would be pretty chuffed to see him at Anfield although 10mil is too steep a price for a player who has not really been 'doin it' at the top level for that long.

I see what you mean about his size JBG but Wright-phillips looks to have a bit of strength about him to go with the pace and skill. Maybe you are worried he will be another Diomede!

There must be a few more midgets out there who have made it. Kinkladze? Vassell is hardly a giant.

How tall was Maradona?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:17 am

Exactly what is Kinkladze doing now?

Tried to get a game with Bolton and Leeds but wasn't deemed good enough.

Do you think Darius Vassell would improve the Liverpool team.

Anyway, both of those guys are in the 5'5 range, Wright Phillips is around 5'1.

Maradona was around 5'7 and was built like a brick s##t house.

I really like Wright-Phillips as he's an extremely likeable player, but I'd bet he'll be unheard of in 5 years.

Guys like him are a flash in the pan.....Danny Wallace, Julian Joachiam, Darren Eadie, that Daley fella that used to play for Villa years ago, Rod Wallace, Peter Beagrie...
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Rimetto » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:43 am

I think he'd be a good buy for liverpool if we could get him for the 4/5 Mil mark. He's a very exciting player and has really shined this year. But a muddy welly boot would shine in the Man city team at the moment.

He could be a good squad player for us someone to bring on when we need to inject life into the game.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:43 am

JBG common mate you usually talk sense. Its rare we agree but usually there is an ounce of sanity in your arguements.

This one i'm affraid is a pile of cr#p. Think about what you are saying.

Its not the size of a player that makes them quality, its there ability and quality. Otherwise Heskey would be twice the player Owen is...

Wright-Phillips looks a decent prospect and is better than anything we currently have but £10m??? no thanks. If it was £6m or so i'd snap there hand off but no more than £7m.

Technically he needs to improve alot imo and tactically he is raw. VERY raw, but what can you expect playing under Keegan? He does have good pace and is a good dribbler, not sure about his crossing... and he can play a pass aswell.

For the right price i'd be happy, but not £10m.
115-1073096938

Postby Sparky » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:58 am

Do not think he is the answer, he is a young talent yes, but what we need is an injection of experienced quality into our midfield, still think we were crazy to let jari leave, we need a playmaker to play alongside stevie g, holding midfielders like didi have had their day, although i do rate didi, he is not energetic enough, i think nicky butt would be a good signing (manc scum) to play alongside stevie g, and then buy (probably gonna laugh at me, either recoba or van der vaart, i think both could be world class in the premiership. 
New rumour i have heard is bennanyoun, dont know what he s like but he plays for racing santander, what is van persie like? why dont we enter the race for van bommel? i also like cesar who plays for lazio, all could provide ammunition for owen and cisse, we need to be more creative and less reliant on wimbl;edon type football! sam hamman may as well be chairman!! ???
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:06 pm

No way- he's just like Huckerby and millions of others as JBG said, one good season doesn't make a player. Liverpool need to go for proven players, 3 solid good seasons is needed before you know a quality player.

Look at the Senegal sh##e we bought for £15m because they beat France.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:00 pm

I agree with Big Niall.

I am a big fan of little Wright Phillips and he's one of those guys your mother loves because he's all heart and determination.

However, I honestly think that Wright Phillips is a flash in the pan and he'll be still mucking around for City in 6 years time.

He's got loads of pace and determination but there have been 50 of those guys earning 15 minutes of fame in England over the past 10 years who disappeared without a trace.

I know size shouldn't matter but it does with Wright Phillips. From what I have seen of him he's all pace and heart but little else and that soon passes in players like him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:09 pm

stu_the_red wrote:JBG common mate you usually talk sense. Its rare we agree but usually there is an ounce of sanity in your arguements.

This one i'm affraid is a pile of cr#p. Think about what you are saying.

Its not the size of a player that makes them quality, its there ability and quality. Otherwise Heskey would be twice the player Owen is...

Wright-Phillips looks a decent prospect and is better than anything we currently have but £10m??? no thanks. If it was £6m or so i'd snap there hand off but no more than £7m.

Technically he needs to improve alot imo and tactically he is raw. VERY raw, but what can you expect playing under Keegan? He does have good pace and is a good dribbler, not sure about his crossing... and he can play a pass aswell.

For the right price i'd be happy, but not £10m.

As usual Stu you don't bother reading people's posts correctly and start writing garbage about something YOU THINK THEY WROTE.

My point is that in the modern game tiny players have no future if they have nothing to rely on other than their pace. Guys like Zola are the exception given their wonderful technical ability and ability to dictate games.

My point is that I have seen 50 Sean Wright Phillips' before and none of them had prolonged careers at the very top.

If Phillips had an ability to play in the centre and be creative like Zola I wouldn't write him off but he doesn't have that in his game. What allows him to compete in the Premiership is his blinding pace and big heart. These attributes only last so long and while Phillips might do a short term job for Liverpool I couldn't see him being a "big" player (pardon the pun) in 6 years time.

Also, you don't seem to note that I drew a contrast between short players (i.e. 5'5) and tiny players like Phillips (around 5'1) which you obviously didn't bother reading.

:D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:25 pm

Great line up Midget Murphy, Midget Owen, Midget S-W Phillips. We need size and strenght up front. Pongo, Smicer, Kewell ain't big guys either.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Gareth G » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:14 pm

Those last three player's are a reasonable size, maybe Pongolle is a little smaller, but no midget.

Anyway, Houllier would waste Wright-Phillip's. He'd probably be played out of position and told not to be flashy!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:57 pm

Wright-Phillips is no better than Diouf and is not worth a penny over 3m.
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:19 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:As usual Stu you don't bother reading people's posts correctly and start writing garbage about something YOU THINK THEY WROTE.

You've noticed too. :D
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:21 pm

I dont think we should buy SWP. We need someone whos not mediocre, and you can just tell how hed be with us. If we dont get anyone in the summer of a good enough standard then i say give Diouff a chance but someone tell him to be more aggressive and run with it and have the odd shot
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion