Sean wright phillips - Should we have pushed harder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:53 pm

Of course English players cost more!

We will pay less for Xabi Alonso than Chelsea paid for Scott Parker, and while I have only a middling knowledge of Alonso, he is a better player than Parker.

English players come with big price tags as good English players are few and far between, and in England the media can hype good young English players out of all proportion.

The last 10 years has seen an exagerated valuation of English players. In the mid 1990s Juninho, then Brazilian and South American player of the year, cost Middlesboro less than Nick Barmby.

Gerard Houllier and Arsene Wenger repeatedly said that they purchased abroad due to the inflated price of homebreed players.

I said before that Sean Wright Phillips was too small and a flash in the pan, and I admit I was too harsh there, but I think SWP needs to stay at Man City for at least another year before making a move.
Last edited by JBG on Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby begintoend » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Phillips is defo better staying in Man City.

As much promise as he has shown, he still lacks a certain class. I would have prefer Defoe.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:22 pm

If Jermaine Defor plays his cards right he'll be one of the top 5 or 6 strikers in Europe within 3 years.

He's a class act.....I can't believe only Spurs went in for him last January.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:29 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:If Jermaine Defor plays his cards right he'll be one of the top 5 or 6 strikers in Europe within 3 years.

Totaly agree with you there to me he is one of the brightest players i have seen in years!
I thought one of the big teams would have gone for him when he left West Ham!
I think this time next year though he will have a host of clubs after him!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:32 pm

there were rumours last week that fergie was after him due to the fact that he's got no strikers apart from alan smith at the moment. forlan is a joke. glad that rumour died down. i'd lose all respect for defoe if he went to those b#stards. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:36 pm

Saha apparently will be back on Saturday (and I thought he was out till Christmas?) so I'd say Ferguson's interest has cooled.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:40 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Saha apparently will be back on Saturday (and I thought he was out till Christmas?) so I'd say Ferguson's interest has cooled.

eh?

so it's another case of ryan giggs syndrome then? in other words, a player is not fit enough for international duty but will miraculously recover for the weekend.  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:41 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:If Jermaine Defor plays his cards right he'll be one of the top 5 or 6 strikers in Europe within 3 years.

Yeah , he's a player who has really come on in the last 12 months.
I saw an interview with him a few months back , determined and confident , put me in mind of Paul Ince at that age.
Of course with Foolier in charge there was no way LFC would have looked to bring him to us , pity . Great future ahead for that lad .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:47 pm

If we had money he would be the logical choice to replace Owen. Not only that, he could actually mature into a much better player than Owen, as he has more armoury to his game.

Had he broken through at Liverpool or Man UTD as a teenager rather than at West Ham he'd probably be a regular England international now.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:15 pm

as good as defoe is, he's on the bench for england tomorrow. alan smith starts alongside owen. sven's also got gerrard on the left.

does the guy have a clue? :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:26 pm

Of course English players cost more!

We will pay less for Xabi Alonso than Chelsea paid for Scott Parker, and while I have only a middling knowledge of Alonso, he is a better player than Parker.

English players come with big price tags as good English players are few and far between, and in England the media can hype good young English players out of all proportion.

The last 10 years has seen an exagerated valuation of English players. In the mid 1990s Juninho, then Brazilian and South American player of the year, cost Middlesboro less than Nick Barmby.

Gerard Houllier and Arsene Wenger repeatedly said that they purchased abroad due to the inflated price of homebreed players.

I said before that Sean Wright Phillips was too small and a flash in the pan, and I admit I was too harsh there, but I think SWP needs to stay at Man City for at least another year before making a move.

Charlton didn't want to sell Parker. Besides, using Chelsea is a poor example, look at this way, Drogba, Carvalho, Ferriera, you telling me those players are worth the money paid from them?

Players are priced on the level they've proven themselves at (obviously country will have an effect due to leagues reputation), the level of interest shown in them (maybe english players will get more from english clubs) and there ability, also, if a team wants to keep a player they'd squeeze every last penny possible out of the club attempting to sign them, it doesn't matter weather they are english, spanish or marsion. Players don't simply cost more because they're english.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:28 pm

Defoe isn't as good as Owen.

Never will be, isn't far off though and could probably be a good replacement. I've ALWAYS rated him and never understood why a big club never signed him when they had a chance. He's part of the reason i think Spurs have a potentially excellent side.
115-1073096938

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:57 pm

I think a player should have two good seasons in a row before LFC go for the, yeah it will cost more but if you buy a one season wonder for a bit less it can be rubbish business.

Guys like, Huckerby, Ndlodv, Yeboah, Phillips have all been "world beaters" for a season and then fell back to average again. SWP needs to prove himself again this year. I'm sure even Smicer had a good season somewhere before Foolier purchased him.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Its a good job GH didnt think like that when he signed Hyypia and Riise? They werent world beaters when he signed them. For some young players who are learning their game it can be a good thing for a club as big as ours to take them and mature them as players. Im not saying this about SWP as i havent seen the guy play too much but some talents should be got early to avoid dissapointment.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:02 pm

woof woof ! wrote:

Yeah , he's a player who has really come on in the last 12 months.
I saw an interview with him a few months back , determined and confident , put me in mind of Paul Ince at that age.
Of course with Foolier in charge there was no way LFC would have looked to bring him to us , pity . Great future ahead for that lad .

Hey, where's the consistency?

In one breath SWP has potential but needs to prove himself further, and in the next, we've already missed out on signing Defoe.

I agree Defoe certainly looks the part but you could certainly argue he needs to put in another quality season to be sure.

I agree with Madred, you have to sign some players based on their potential. 2 seasons ago SWP looked shaky enough but his improvement has been dramatic. He puts everything in the game and he makes things happen. At times on Saturday our midfield looked short on ideas. I think he could have been part of that answer.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion