Sean wright phillips - Should we have pushed harder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:09 am

I cant understand why we didnt push harder for Sean Wright Phillips.

The guy is only 22. He is a right sided midfielder and a playmaker ie. ideal for LFC.

He is playing in a lesser team who have no European football to offer him.

Kevin Keegan was desperate to hold onto him, but given their financial situation they would have had to let him go if the price was right.

We have money to spend.

I dont mind several Spanish signings if the're of the quality Josemi seems to be, but what I am concerned about is that Rafa dosent seem to have knowledge of players of any other nationality.

What do you think?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:36 am

To right we should have pushed harder, the kid is pure class and everytime i see him he looks like hes gettin better and better, couldnt think of a better right winger at the moment, hes got the lot and id still b chasin him now, even though hes signed a new contract
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:43 am

Bruno Zidane! wrote:To right we should have pushed harder, the kid is pure class and everytime i see him he looks like hes gettin better and better, couldnt think of a better right winger at the moment, hes got the lot and id still b chasin him now, even though hes signed a new contract

I feel that way too. We really should have been able to sign him from Man City. Its frustrating that we didn't work on that harder. I also agree that if there is any way of getting him despite his new contract we should look into it.

Is Rafa missing out on players like this with his desire to bring in more Spanish players?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:20 am

I don't think he's top class and rate him the same way Huckerby was about 5 years ago. He had a good season last year but that is all. He isn't even a regular England international and doesn't compare to guys like Duff.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:38 am

i think he is a class player, and i feel he could add a lot to add to our team
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:43 am

if the guy has aspirations to take over from beckham on the right for england you feel he needs to be playing at a higher profile club. the problem with swp is the price, which is bound to be over the hill because he is english.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:47 am

to true stmichael
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:08 pm

Big Niall wrote:I don't think he's top class and rate him the same way Huckerby was about 5 years ago. He had a good season last year but that is all. He isn't even a regular England international and doesn't compare to guys like Duff.

So what youre sayin is we should wait till he has 30 caps for england b4 we sign him??? does wenger think about caps when he signs the likes of clichy,fabragas,reyes and van persie??? thats a daft statement that fella and to compare him to huckerby is even worse, SWP was sensational last season and he was superb again on saturday, everyone knows svens england team picks its self and if i was manage id be more than willin 2 give him a chance.......Id love to see him in a red shirt by the end of August. And apart from Gerrard who else do we have in are squad as talented as him???
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:52 pm

Lots of England caps doesn't make a great player, just ask the Nevilles :p . I can't think player that would fit in at Anfield better, i can only think that City's inflated price tag put us off :(
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:53 pm

who the hell is diarra wrote:Lots of England caps doesn't make a great player, just ask the Nevilles :p .

lol  :D

am i right in thinking that phil neville has 50 caps? what is the world coming to?  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maximus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:00 pm

who the hell is diarra wrote:Lots of England caps doesn't make a great player, just ask the Nevilles :p . I can't think player that would fit in at Anfield better, i can only think that City's inflated price tag put us off :(

Or Heskey!!!!
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:01 pm

Yep sad , very strange but true :D
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:18 pm

Being English doesn't make the price any different at all.

If a club doesn't want to sell a player thats what puts the price up. I'm sick of hearing all this "English players cost more" ******.

Also, Wright-Phillips isn't good enough. He's had one decent season. Much like Lampard and people are starting to say he's something he isn't. He's also not a Liverpool player. I'm glad we didn't sign him.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:36 pm

I must be missing something here . Loads of people are raving about Wright-Phillips and I really fail to understand why . Must admit I haven't seen much of the guy but what I did see was a young player still very much learning his trade , good pace , good skill and loads of enthusiasm . In short the kind of player you would expect to see wearing a Man City shirt under KK . Is he REALLY good enough to make a lasting impact at LFC ? .
I'm not knocking you lads that like him , I just think he's yet another player with "potential" and I've had my fill of those. (for the time being at least ) :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:38 pm

forget wright-phillips, we've got nunez now! :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion