Wright-phillips or a striker? - Who would you buy

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ade » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:09 am

Now we're in the CL second round and need to make a challenge for the top spots in the Prem over the  next few months, who would be better off signing: Sean WP or a new striker?

it might seem obvious that we're short up front, but with Baros on form, Mellor weighing in with some crucial goals, Stevie G now being freed up to play behind the front man, things aren't so desperate up there. We've also got Garcia to come back, whose goalscoring record from midfield (if he hadn't been robed by dodgy linesmen) would be pretty impressive so far.

Also, the Arsenal game for me might mark a turning point in how we play this season. Rafa was a staunch 4-5-1 man at Valencia and was in a sense forced to play 4-4-2 when he came to anfield, cos we had Baros and Cisse to keep happy, their promise as a combo, and our familiarity with 4-4-2.

But the win over Arsenal might have convinced Rafa that he can play us 4-5-1. with Alonso and Hamann sitting in the middle, two wide players, Gerrard behind one striker.

Given that this makes us harder to break down and that we need goal threats from all over midfield, I just wonder if it would be worth blowing nearly all our Jan transfer budget (and maybe more besides) on SWP. He's a real talent, quick, scores goals, is English, is ready for the biggest stage and is not CL cup-tied.

Man City need the cash desperately. If it leaves us short on the striker front, why not go in for him and take Fowler off City's hands on a free?

Not knocking Nunez, and he may come good, he certainly has a good attidude. But we need to start motoring: the most important thing we can do this season is persuade Gerrard to stay, so we need to get moving up the table now.

Rafa's sides have been teams that score a lot of goals from midfield, I think he may be tempted to try doing the same with us.

Just interested to see what people might think…
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:18 am

I think that you have said some valid points there and what u are saying does make sense. Even Kewell seems to have raised his game lately, if he keeps going that way and improving then hopefully we will see the best of him, HOPEFULLY!

so Kewell can also be used as backup for a striker too. Mellor's progress lately again has been impressive, i'd like to see him do a bit more running back and picking up the ball from deep positions though like Baros does. But Mellor does seem like a goal poacher rather than creating his own chances.

Nunez looks promising, considering he hasnt played much football recently, SWP deffo is one for the future, but is it worth the gamble of not buying another upfronter?

I think it is, we have enough backup for strikers, Kewell and Garcia as u mentioned can both play as strikers, and if we mange to keep hold of Stevie G, he can create so much, maybe we wont need a new striker after all
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:20 am

With Rafa's preference for 4-5-1, then it would have to be SWP. Hopefully Mellor and Pongolle can continue on the improvement, and when Cisse comes back we will be OK.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:31 am

I wouldnt mind Rafa tryin to get his brother at anfield seems the better of the 2 of em :cool: Bradley he is gona be some player him.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:34 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I wouldnt mind Rafa tryin to get his brother at anfield seems the better of the 2 of em :cool: Bradley he is gona be some player him.

Bradly Wright-Phillips? Never even heard of him, gonna have to do some research me thinks  ???
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:36 am

Hes scored 10 goals in 10 games for city reserves, he is rated better than his brother plus hes taller and would fit in nicely at liverpool :cool: If rafa got him under his wing.
Last edited by Ciggy on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:38 am

well i never :laugh:
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:46 am

The problem is any 'world class' striker will be Champions League cup tied. Although IMO Anelka would fit the bill perfectly.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:48 am

Id take Anelka back, but would Benitez tame him, cos he is one moaning ******, and when Cisse is back could we really keep two moaning frogs happy?

I dont think so
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:48 am

With Bradley Wright-Phillips, Kevin Beattie, Cisse and Cisse, and not forgetting Kewell from Everton, I think we WILL beat Blackpool  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:57 am

my view is that we keep the strike force we have. baros is class, cisse is class and will be back eventually, mellor and pingpong can only get better and better. mellor seems to be develooping a knack for crucial goals and the other night pingpong showed us what he's really made of. kewell and garcia as supporting options and gerrard in the 'hole' (or whoever comes in to replace him) gives us a pretty healthy attack if they're all on song. and by the law of averages some of them have to be most of the time. if we get another quality striker then rafa has serious selection problems when everyone is fit - and although competition for places is healthy, disquiet amongst unhappy players is not.

we also have plenty of wing options - kewell and garcia (when they are not playing supporting strikers), warnock, riise, finnan, nunez...

i think money would be best spent on defence. we need at least one more top quality full back and one top quality centre back.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:03 pm

some facts about Bradley.
The younger brother of City star Shaun, Bradley Wright-Phillips is a striker with a big future in the game. He proved his talent with the Blues' second string, coming joint top of the scoring charts in 2003/2004, and went on to make his first-team debut in the 7-1 Carling Cup win over Barnsley in September 2004. Wright-Phillips junior's strength and finishing skills add depth to City's strikeforce.

Though the Manchester City manager left the Riverside sad at seeing his side surrender their five-game unbeaten run with a 3-2 defeat against Middlesbrough, he was glad that the 19-year-old had started his top flight career so well.

Bradley scored within three minutes of coming on for Jon Macken and almost snatched a late equaliser as his display prompted Keegan to compare his goalscoring ability with his stepfather, Arsenal legend Ian.

"Bradley had just come on and within three minutes he had been doing what he has been at reserve team level all season," said Keegan, who had no complaints about the result at the Riverside.

"He is waiting for a chance, he is waiting for an opportunity and it has probably come early because of the size of the squad.

Ready

"But maybe when you see him, he is ready for it. He is certainly a good finisher. He knows where the back of the net is. You have only got to look at his record for that. He scored one and he'll be disappointed that he didn't hit the target with the other.

"He has that ability to score goals and he is probably a better finisher than his brother Shaun. But Shaun is just a bit stronger than him at the minute and gives us more box-to-box.

"We are pleased with him, though. The beauty of him is that he doesn't need to be taught how to finish. He is a real predator, a natural goalscorer and he reminds me of his dad, Ian. He still needs to learn but he is going the right way.

"He makes things out of nothing and scores goals when you don't expect him to score goals from impossible positions. He has only been with us since the summer but he has impressed with his attitude.

"There are still things that he has got to learn but he is willing to learn and he will strengthen up.

"But he doesn't need to learn to finish and that's the beauty of him. We have lost the game but if Bradley needed convincing that he can score at this level, he can take the tape home."
This lad is gona be  a topscorer in the prem one day watch this space ........................... :;):

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:40 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Hes scored 10 goals in 10 games for city reserves, he is rated better than his brother plus hes taller and would fit in nicely at liverpool :cool: If rafa got him under his wing.

scored aginat boro on monday as well on debut.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:42 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Hes scored 10 goals in 10 games for city reserves, he is rated better than his brother plus hes taller and would fit in nicely at liverpool :cool: If rafa got him under his wing.

scored aginat boro on monday as well on debut.

He sure did, his reputation is being spouted about him being better than his bro :cool:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:57 pm

I think we need another striker. We only have Baros (quality)and Mellor as out and out strikers. Cisse is out for the season and didn't exactly impress when he played anyway (jury still out).
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion