Transfer day - Are we gong to buy anyone?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Almighty Red » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 pm

So Pennant screwed everyone over and decided he'd rather play for the reserves, then?
Almighty Red

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Toffeehater wrote:I don't think that happen , it was not on any rumors page and the club have set his price at 16 million , if we had sold him , who could we have brought it on such short notice? Barry i would have guessed

Arsenal attempt to capture Alonso on hectic deadline day - Transfers, Football - The Independent

By Jason Burt and Michael Walker
Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Arsenal were last night desperately trying to sign Xabi Alonso before the transfer window closed after submitting an improved offer, thought to be around £14m, for the Spanish international midfielder. Earlier the Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez, had insisted Alonso was not for sale but it is understood that he was always prepared to do a deal if his valuation was met.

The Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, who rejected Cardiff City's attempt to take Aaron Ramsay back on loan, has played a delicate game of brinkmanship in trying to secure Alonso, whom he wants to partner Cesc Fabregas in central midfield. Wenger regards the 26-year-old as a player who can add the experience and steel which have been missing from his team. A bid of £12m was rejected last month as Wenger hoped to capitalise on Liverpool's attempts to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa.

It was a busy day as Benitez attempted to balance the books. Liverpool completed the £8m purchase of the Espanyol winger Albert Riera, who has signed a four-year deal, and also secured two teenagers: 18-year-old Brazilian striker Vito Flora on a free transfer from Botafogo and another 18-year-old, Hungarian goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi from MTK Hungaria.

They sold Steve Finnan to Espanyol for just £1m, with the full-back signing a two-year deal while the Ukrainian striker Andrei Voronin returned to the Bundesliga with a season-long loan at Hertha Berlin. The German club also signed the Manchester City striker Felipe Caicedo. Benitez was, meanwhile, trying to offload Jermaine Pennant, although the winger, who had hoped to switch to Blackburn Rovers, was resisting a £4m move to Stoke City.

:D
account deleted by request

Postby lakes10 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 pm

last night radio 5 live said the deal had been done to bring Vito Flora to liverpool a week ago byt liverpool held off till the last day to tell the liverpool fans so it looked like liverpool was also trying to bring new players to the club right up untill midnight.

well i not sure how much truth there is in that but i would not be that shocked if it was true.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm

lakes10 wrote:last night radio 5 live said the deal had been done to bring Vito Flora to liverpool a week ago byt liverpool held off till the last day to tell the liverpool fans so it looked like liverpool was also trying to bring new players to the club right up untill midnight.

well i not sure how much truth there is in that but i would not be that shocked if it was true.

wouldn't doubt it. Who cares if it is true or not. They were saying that he could possibly feature in the team for the ressie game tonight (but he isn't in the squad), and that makes me think it had been sealed up a while ago.
JoeTerp

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:19 pm

Lads, stop trying to control somethting you cant, the big picture will be played out between H&G, Rafa, Parry and a prospective new owner - we little people can follow developments but theres no point getting all stressed about something we cant influence looking forward.

Lets enjoy the good news on a day to day basis. The reds are off to a good start and I´ve got 4 tickets for the PSV game at Anfield for me, my brothers and a nephew. First time we´ll ever go to a game all together.  I´m having a  good day. :)
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Lee J wrote:ok then - enough of the doom and gloom. What a great season we have ahead of us. Lets get the league tied up by Xmas and then we can concentrate more on the champions league. We've got a good team of superb players and we have a great manager who will take us the the next level. And the two americans that own our club, what can I say... wondeful people who have our best interests at heart. They'll put millions of their own money into the transfer kitty and Rafa will be able to sign whoever he wants. They'll also make sure we get that 75000 seater stadium even if they have to lay the bricks themselves.

Things are looking really bright for the future folks. this time next year we'll be millionaires Rodney.

TBH mate i get a faint wiff of sarcasm of that. :D

Just been hearing on sky sports news how city put a 50mill bid in for Torres on the last day, maybe thats why there seemed like something was going on at anfield.
They said they`ll revive their interest in Jan.
And do you know how they come to a valuation on what the likes of Torres and Robinho are worth? They have a look at what chelsea bid. You couldnt fkin make it up. :no
Last edited by Rush Job on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:52 pm

They know we need money like?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:19 am

LiverpoolMadman

Postby samurai3000 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 am

Do any of you guys think man city will break into the top four. Alot of dramatic changes are happening over there. I feel they musr break into the top four and get into the champions league next season if they want to attract top talent. Since the abromowich buying chelsea time this club takeover business is becoming typical. Would be good if rich w@nkers bought all top clubs in the premier league. That would make an interesting season.
samurai3000

Postby tubby » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 am

samurai3000 wrote:Do any of you guys think man city will break into the top four. Alot of dramatic changes are happening over there. I feel they musr break into the top four and get into the champions league next season if they want to attract top talent. Since the abromowich buying chelsea time this club takeover business is becoming typical. Would be good if rich w@nkers bought all top clubs in the premier league. That would make an interesting season.

Of course they fecking will. Football is filled with greedy players, greedy talanted players who will come to Man City for bug bucks. If Man City keep building their team the way they are it is only a matter of time before they break into the top 4 at the very least.

Our only hope is that they dont do it this season and DIC buys us. Otherwise if we go into next season the way are noe you can pretty much say goodnight. After that who knows, players will leave......
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:04 am

Liverpool star Yossi Benayoun rejected an enormous £3.5m signing fee from Spartak Moscow before the transfer deadline, while Manchester City, West Ham and Spurs were also interested in the 28-year-old. (Daily Mail)

Got to give the bloke a pat on the back for that one. Decent money offered to go and also a spot in the XI every week. Good on ya Yossi
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion