Priorities - Getting the balance right

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Just read an interesting but equally puzzling stat regarding the Champions League.

This is the sixth consecutive time that we have been in the group stages having made our debut in the competition in the 2001 campaign.

If there was ever a statistic that marked our fall from grace then that is it. The Champions League started in the 1992-93 season, and whilst I do not subscribe to the media led train of thought that football was invented in 1992 by Rupert Murdoch and his cronies, the fact that this cometition soared in standing and more importantly money levels around this time make the fact that we waited almost a decade to get involved in hte business end is as startiling as the time since our last league triumph (albeit in the lesser known and hardly remebered LEague Division One format).

So whats hte point of the thread I hear you say.

Well, whilst I am 100% sure that the all out assault on the title is the main focus of our footballing prowess, I dont subscribe to the theory that this should be at the detrement of the Champions LEague competition.

Its important that we maintain our recently enhanced reputation in European competition for a number of reasons, revenue, reputation and respect, that new three r's.

Revenue is important to ensure that we can keep up with the Jones' (or rather the Abramorvich's) in the transfer market, and keep us competitive at the tope end of the market, torres and Babel being prime examples o the virtues of such a policy.

Reputation is important, not just for bragging rightsm but in terms of the brand. Not my cup of tea, but as we are now more than eve a business proposition, its important for our american owners that the product is saleable.

Respect - is a lame attempt at finding a third r, but in all honesty it is about making sure that the right kind of player wants to come to this club. Having the respect of European football is important so we can attract the right personell, and improve our squad and potential.

So whilst I agree its the league we want, and the most important by my reckoning, the assault on Europe should not necessarily take second place. With the size of the squad, and the stregth in depth there is no reason it cant be (at least) a two pronged assault.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I think mentally our squad is more capable of challenging on both fronts this season.  The majority of our squad has played big games in the latter stages of the CL already, and therefore it should be less draining for them should we get that far this year, and will hopefully take less away from our domestic efforts.

However I do feel that there will be slip ups later in the season when big CL games precede and are followed by crunch Premiership games.  We need to be sitting top of the table or at least only a couple of points off the top when the business end of the season comes around, otherwise once again our players will naturally feel that the CL is the best chance of silverware.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:26 pm

I think there is always a away to beat slip ups that we usually have after or before CL games John, its using sensible rotation ofcourse. Our squad is experienced in the champions league, plus we have Benitez, who proved it already that he is excellent in europe. I agree that we can fight and win in both competition, but is all down to how the players will play and how the manager will be sensible enough to choose the right players for each game in both competition.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:37 am

In all I'd agree with Leon that both the CL and the Prem should be well fought out.

It seems we may have the squad almost capable of challenging for both this year, but still my main priority would be the league. So in saying that, if Rafa did decide to rotate his way through the season I'd much prefer him to do it in the CL. Play Torres and and whoever upfront with Gerrard and Mascha central even against the likes of Wigan. Play Crouch and whoever upfront with Xabi and Momo/Gerrard against Porto.

For me the league has been on the back burner for the last few years, but I'd like to see if anything the CL put on the back burner.
66-1112520797

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:49 am

Bamaga man wrote:In all I'd agree with Leon that both the CL and the Prem should be well fought out.

It seems we may have the squad almost capable of challenging for both this year, but still my main priority would be the league. So in saying that, if Rafa did decide to rotate his way through the season I'd much prefer him to do it in the CL. Play Torres and and whoever upfront with Gerrard and Mascha central even against the likes of Wigan. Play Crouch and whoever upfront with Xabi and Momo/Gerrard against Porto.

For me the league has been on the back burner for the last few years, but I'd like to see if anything the CL put on the back burner.

Just to reiterate, I souldnt care if we lost all six games of the CL group stage 0-7 if itmeant we won the league this year, however I see the value of it, and I understand why a group stage game, against arguably our biggest rivals in the group with only five more left to improve the standing and ensure qualification took precedence after the Internationals over Pompey, a game we can "fix" over the next 32 games of the season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Bamaga man wrote:In all I'd agree with Leon that both the CL and the Prem should be well fought out.

I've recently been wondering about whether we do have enough to challenge at home and in Europe.  I think we've got the depth everywhere but up front - rest Torres, and who is going to score goals for you?  A front line of 2 of Kuyt, Voronin, Crouch doesn't look anywhere near as dangerous to me.

That got me wondering about Babel - is he the goal scorer who can play when Torres is not - quick, good on the ball, a striker (apparently)?  I'm obviously not the only one on here to be thinking about that.  When will we see Babel up front - Reading?
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:55 pm

In terms of a world wide profile, one champions league trophy p'isses all over a premiership trophy.

Of course I want us to win the premiership but to be honest I can live with us failing to win the premiership if it means we're contesting a champions league final .

Football is the global game , and the biggest stage in world football is the champions league final .

Does anybody think Real Madrid built their reputation on how many times they won the spanish league ? . Maybe in Spain they did, but their World Wide Rep came from their success in Europes ultimate competition.

Not denigrating the importance of a Premiership trophy , it's only my opinion and you are entitled to yours , but gimme a top three finish and a Champions League Cup any season you like and you can keep your Premiership trophy.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby AB's Red Army » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:23 pm

woof woof ! wrote:In terms of a world wide profile, one champions league trophy p'isses all over a premiership trophy.

Of course I want us to win the premiership but to be honest I can live with us failing to win the premiership if it means we're contesting a champions league final .

Football is the global game , and the biggest stage in world football is the champions league final .

Does anybody think Real Madrid built their reputation on how many times they won the spanish league ? . Maybe in Spain they did, but their World Wide Rep came from their success in Europes ultimate competition.

Not denigrating the importance of a Premiership trophy , it's only my opinion and you are entitled to yours , but gimme a top three finish and a Champions League Cup any season you like and you can keep your Premiership trophy.

I see where you're coming from. The Champions League final exposes the two clubs to fans from all parts of the world.

I remember when I was living in Croatia, English football in the early and mid 90's was hardly broadcasted. The only time you'd see an English club was in Europe, which was after the ban of course.

But I do want us to win a league title or two in the upcoming years, I don't want United to surpass us in that department.

The European Cup though as you say gets global appeal.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Nobody will take Liverpool seriously while we've yet to land a Premiership. I've heard plenty of variations on the dig - "how can you be champions of Europe when you're not even champions in your own country?". The Champions League is the icing on the cake, however we've got plenty of icing on a muffin.

The league is harder to win than the Champions League, I can't see Rafa being a true success if he can't land the league soon. We'll have manc sc um aplenty knocking us until we win the league, even then they'll claim it's a fluke and they've won X Premiership titles. It's funny how our Champions League was a 'fluke', their last gasp robbery was a 'magnificent treble'. It's funny how the Champions League needs no skill yet Chelsea, Arsenal et al can't win it as can't Celtic, Rangers and all the other also-rans
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion