Where should our priorities lie? - Cl or getting back in it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 pm

I know you'll probably think "well what a stupid question that is" when you read the title but I just thought it would be interesting to see other fans views on this. We have 7 cup finals to go in the Premiership, which could shape the clubs forseeable financial future but we also have the small matter of a Champions League Quarter Final coming up on Tuesday. As a supporter, would you rather see us prioritise on trying to win the Champions League or finishing 4th?

Now the average supporter may say that realistically we have "little if no chance" of winning the Champions League due to the quality of the sides still left in it and that we have a better chance of finishing 4th. But I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Yes, Everton are beginning to feel the pressure and wilt, and we have cut the gap to a point. However, given the gulf between much of our European form and our Premiership form (especially away from home), can you really say with any confidence that we will go to Man City, Portsmouth, Palace and Arsenal and win? I can't.

Ok, realistically I don't see Bolton challenging for 4th now. They're 4 points behind us and 5 behind Everton. The only thing they've really got going for them is they've got an easier run-in.

After yesterday, and their recent abject displays against us and Blackburn, I wouldn't even bet on Everton beating the likes of Fulham and Palace (who both desperately need the three points), and i reckon they'll probably lose against the Mancs, Arsenal and even Newcastle.

With us, it's the consistency thing again. Some of the games we'll probably get a point from are the ones we *really ought to be winning*. I'm not saying we will, but I know I'd be pretty p#ssed off if we didn't walk away from the Portsmouth and Palace games with a win, especially with Baros/Morientes both back in the team by then.

I also think that with Alonso (and maybe even Cisse) back before the end of the season, we should also finish the last few games really strongly. not making any point predictions though... it'll jinx the whole thing... :D

I just it would be fascinating to know what Rafa is thinking at the moment. He obviously knows how important finishing 4th is above everton (mainly for the credibility of English football in Europe) but I think to place that above the Champions League which we are still in would be wrong. Every game should be treated with equal importance.

What do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 84-1106852058 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:33 pm

I agree with you St Mick,priorties should always be for the next game always one game at a time.
84-1106852058

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:49 pm

stmichael wrote:Now the average supporter may say that realistically we have "little if no chance" of winning the Champions League due to the quality of the sides still left in it and that we have a better chance of finishing 4th.

I must be an average supporter St Mick.

I can't realistically see us lifting the CL this season BUT if we get that 4th spot, next season with a bit of luck and please god fewer injuries I reckon we'll be solid contenders in the CL.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:55 pm

i just think that judging by this season so far, if i had to put money on us getting a good result tomorrow night or going to man city and winning, i'd put it on tomorrow night.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:07 pm

stmichael wrote:i just think that judging by this season so far, if i had to put money on us getting a good result tomorrow night or going to man city and winning, i'd put it on tomorrow night.

I agree. Would anyone be that surprised if we went out and beat Juve 1-0 then lost 2-1 at City this weekend? I can't remember a more Jeckyl & Hyde season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:07 pm

getting 4th means more financially than getting to the final and losing.

Its easier to make up 1 point on everton than to win CL
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:13 pm

Id go for the one game at a time school of thought but if I could choose it would be 4th place then a few months of summer transfer gossip  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 pm

it is really important that Liverpool stay in the Champions league next season...the money, the players it attracts, it is very important.  The Ueffa cup is nice, as long as you win it, but there isn't the money there....and the money you can make from it doesn't warrent the extra games you play...i'm taking it one game at a time in the CL and say we must finish 4th...with the injured players coming back, i think we might, just might, be ok on both fronts.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:42 pm

It is a complex question, and it is however simply answered mony and pulling power.

If it where say the FA Cup, and the question was should we win it now we are in the Quarter Finals, or (for examples sake) finish in the top ten teams to qualify for next seasons competition, then it would be win it all the way.

Sadly, its all about having the money and pulling power to attract the right players.

If we fail to qualify we have less money to spend on average players (ie ones willing to accept UEFA ooty next term).

If we do qualify we have more money to spend on better players (ie ones expecting to play in the champions League).

If we want to get closer to the holy grail that is the league title, then we need more of the latter type of footballers.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:45 pm

that about sums it up....Champions League gives the power and money to bring in the likes of Alonso...we need to sign a class defender over the summer and we will need the cl money/attraction to do that.  I'm still confident we will finish 4th, Man City will be the test.  Will we be able to win or will the lag from the cl cause upset.  I'm hopeing Alonso and Kewell return next weekend and that will, with a bit of luck, change things for the better!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:59 pm

It's a Catch-22 position - remember the back lash from the Burnley Game and the lack of confidence shown the team in later matches?

Also, if we do well in the CL, it will show potential transfer targets that we are a force again in European football, a team that they want to play for.

And why shouldn't we go on and win the CL?  Remember, the League Cup final?  We had Chelsea (one of the favorites to win it) beaten until SG scored and OG.  And at Christmas, we played them off the pitch.  Ok, we have got serious injury problems, but anything is possible in a cup match!

So it is a tricky question to ask - and I doubt there is a definitive answer to it.

If we can get through tomorrow night's game without conceding, then, with luck Alonso could be back for the return leg - and anything is possible!

"We had dreams and songs to sing
Of the glory round the Fields of Anfield Road"

YNWA
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:09 pm

I think the priority has to be to get 4th spot. It will mean more revenue for next year and we will be able to attract quality players. It is no good us getting to the CL final losing and then ending up in the UEFA cup. It would severally hurt our chances of getting top quality players in the summer.

I'm not saying its impossible for us to win the CL its just that 4th place is the more realistic target
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:10 pm

i seriously think that, no matter wat happen, liverpool will get the 4th spot, so why not pin our hopes on the champions league for now... we can dream about success too.. winning the CL..remember, to liverpool FC , impossible is nothing.. haha
Alonso_Rulz

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:12 pm

at the moment prioritty is definately champs league...

but once that game is over, its back to the league. no reason both cant be a priority
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:39 pm

dawson99 wrote:at the moment prioritty is definately champs league...

but once that game is over, its back to the league. no reason both cant be a priority

But if you have to choose, wouldnt you agree it would make more sense to keep focused on 4th, instead of getting worked up over nothing over CL glory?
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion