Liverpool v arsenal - Make or break?

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:58 pm

Massive game saturday,GH says it's make or break,but strangely it's only worth 3 points.When we win we'll be back up there banging at the door,look around there is nothing in the division to be scared of.Till the end of the season every team will be taking and dropping points of each other.We will come out on top,if not perhaps 2nd.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:28 pm

I think GH is just trying to wind the boys up before the game.  After Sunday's performance they really need a boot where the sun doesn't shine. But I agree it's not make or break, how can it be at this stage in the season. Nevertheless we are owed a performance against Arsenal and I expect the team to rise to the occassion.
Three points - no probs.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:11 pm

Just got in...gutted first reaction how did we lose that.First half they never had a sniff but wallop...sucker punch we're on level terms.I'm going to sit down with a coffee and try to figure out how we surrendered the initiative,the game ,the points to an Arsenal side that are not as good as last year,in fact they looked pretty ordinary to me.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:21 pm

Can't believe it! For the first half hour I thought I had my team back. Fast flowing football, excitement in the crowd, great goal and the promise of one of our best performances for years...And then it bloody well fell to pieces in a manner which even leaves me speachless. How can a team play like champions one minute and then like relgation favourites the next. The defence was useless once Arsenal decided to attack and our attack and enthusiasm disappeared completely in the second half. I need to lie down in a dark room.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rowms2 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:42 am

but what's the matter actually?Do you think Arsenal was better or Liverpool didn't play the way it has to play to get the victory???
rowms2

Postby supersub » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:06 am

Liverpool were outstanding in the first half but sadly we never scored the goals we deserved.Arsenal took charge in the second half mainly due to sloppy play by us and took the points.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:07 pm

If I dare to say another negative thing about Liverpool, is that when Smicer went off after 35 mins, thats when we seemed to slow down. I don't know whether this was due to him, but that seemed apparent to me. Also Owen should of scored from that header, and Kewell's effort from 8 yards out..well, anyway we lost so lets look forward to the next game and take the positives from the first half.

Do people remember last year when United started off by losing 2 games and drawing 3, people wrote them off and as soon as that happened they started playing and they took the title.

Know title can be lost in early October, maybe this will be our 'Black November' this year? Who knows? Maybe from this we can get a good run together and get back up there.
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby markpritchard » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:38 pm

i am so gutted,after playing like world beaters for 35 mins we go and conceed a soft goal and it was all over for us once pires hit a cracking goal although the defending left a lot to be desired (not for the first time this season)whats going on?sami looks a shadow of the player he used to be and biscan although he did ok will never be the answer to our defensive problems we need to get back on track and fast we need to put a good run together and we need another striker we missed baros and heskey bless him he tries his heart out will never be good enough for liverpool.i am one worried red.
markpritchard

Postby supersub » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:16 pm

I have to say I'm not as down-hearted as last season.We were abysmal to watch last year,god we would come away from Anfield every game,nearly,saying "that was the worst game so far".Even when we had sneaked a win(chelsea,tottenham),we were poor.The Arsenal game last year we were absolutely pitiful,it was bloody embarrasing to be a Liverpool fan.This year I can see an improvement in our play,in fact saturday for the first half we were fantastic and a pleasure to watch,but sadly our defence capitulated again..major worry.Sami is not the captain to steady our rocky defence..we have to find someone who can.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Cleman » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:47 am

on saturday match....
liverpool played at home, arsenal travelled to anfield
liverpool played 65 mins football (1st half & perhap first 20mins of 2nd half), arsenal played 25mins football
liverpool has more than 50% possession, arsenal less than 50%
liverpool created not less than 5 chances, arsenal created 3 (Henrry's shot, Edu's heading, Pires great strike)
liverpool scored 1 out of the many chances, arsenal scored 2 out of 3
liverpool got 0 point, arsenal went back smiling with 3 points

what a shame arsenal just needed 35mins out of 90mins to beat us..........
Cleman

Postby Boocity » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:24 am

The two biggest problems we have is the defence and a partner for Owen. Heskey just does not get enough goals to support Owen, he has to do most of it on his own and is going to have off days when the ball wont go in, on days like saturday we could have done with another clinical striker to take the pressure off.
The defence was a joke, how anyone can say Biscan is good enough to play for the reds. He is useless and with JC and SH out we should try and pull Babble back from Blackburn.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cleman » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:56 am

Get Cisse..he just scored the sensational hat-trick for Auxerre against Lille recently.........

Hypia lost his form, Biscan is not the solution to cover for Henchoz,...Diao is not the right answer to partner with Gerrald, Diouf improved from last season but i don't rate him as ideal right winger for liverpool....

For the summer transfer, GH (maybe new manager???) should get a striker (Cisse), Center defender (Boumsong) and right winger.... let Cisse & Owen playing upfront, Diouf & Baros to back up as substitute or rotation
Cleman

Postby flop75 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:23 pm

Excellent first half - best I have seen us play in a long time, but after ten minutes of the second we were very poor. Defensively we didn't look up to the job but offensively I thought Kewell was outstanding, the best player on the park.
flop75

Return to Liverpool FC - Games