Do you think houllier took 'bungs'? - Might explain the bad buys?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:04 am

Newell makes bung culture claim Mike Newell

Newell has never employed an agent
Luton boss Mike Newell claims transfer bungs are rife in football and he has criticised the Football Association for failing to control players' agents.

Newell said: "The FA must play a much bigger role than they are doing - agents are the scourge of the game.

"A lot of people involved with the agents and doing the deals are taking back-handers. That is without question.

"If I was open to it, it would be a regular occurrence. All I would have to say is, 'What is in it for me?'."

Asked if he had been offered money when conducting transfer negotiations, Newell said: "Of course I have. I wouldn't even entertain the idea - never."

In 1995, George Graham was sacked as Arsenal manager and banned from football for a year after allegations he accepted an illegal payment as part of a transfer deal.

Newell believes it is far from an isolated incident.

He added: "If George Graham is the only one guilty of taking a bung in the last 10 years, I would be absolutely amazed.

"If the governing bodies don't eradicate some of the things that are happening, it will kill the game.

"Hopefully the Football League and the Premier League will come to their senses and bring in stricter laws."

Newell is concerned that resources are being drained from football and suggests there is only one winner as things currently stand.

He added: "I've seen the money agents make at Championship level and I can only imagine what they make at the top level.

"So many players have come and gone who have been absolutely no good to the game or the clubs who bought them.

"But the agents will have made money once again and the game in this country will have suffered.

"Millions of pounds have gone out of the game that will not be seen again."

During the 2004-05 season Championship clubs spent nearly £7m on agents' fees.

And last summer Football League chairman Sir Brian Mawhinney called for tighter regulations governing the behaviourof agents.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:02 am

I always think there is no smoke without fire.  Has his name been mentioned yet?  I'm not sure, I haven't read much about this being honest.  It's just financial irregularities in French football transfers isn' it?  Not specifically Gerard Houllier.

But it also might be a case of the fact that some of Houllier's signings for Liverpool from France were seen as a joke in hindsight, that it's obvious he had to be on the take.  Who would have signed those players otherwise?  That might explain a few things to us in our mind, we can accuse him of being guilty before proven innocent etc..... as an excuse for his failure in the transfer market back in 2002 with the Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou and Luzi disaster.

I think he was just wrong with his judgment of a player towards the end.
jonnymac1979

Postby neil » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:11 am

Houllier paid 'top bat' for everypalyer he signed, except Harry Kewell- which incidently upset every man and his dog for some reason.  ???
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:13 am

I wasn't accusing GH, I was asking for peoples opinion :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Can we please get over the fact that Gerard Houllier ultimately failed as manager at Liverpool Footbal lClub.

I think it is time people afforded the guy the respect and dignity his acheivements deserve.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Can we please get over the fact that Gerard Houllier ultimately failed as manager at Liverpool Footbal lClub.

I think it is time people afforded the guy the respect and dignity his acheivements deserve.

I'm not taking away any praise or respect from Houllier because he left the club in a better position than when he arrived, all I'm saying is maybe he took bungs because it would answer a few question over the dodgy signing  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Probably, yes.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:04 pm

banana wrote:Probably, yes.

Did you celebrate when we won the Uefa cup, FA cup and League cup? Did you celebrate when we won the super cup and charity shield? Did it make you happy and feel proud?
115-1073096938

Postby neil » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:09 pm

not as proud as  arsenal fans 1 night in 89 no doubt and yet arsenal sacked George Graham instantly for his filthy greed. Not that I'm saying Houllier was greedy.
Last edited by neil on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:12 pm

neil wrote:not as proud as  arsenal fans 1 night in 89 no doubt and yet arsenal sacked George Graham instantly for his filthy greed. Not that I'm saying Houllier was greedy.

Its a simple question mate and to be honest i think the answer to that is the answer to weather you are real Liverpool FC supporter or not.

If the answer is yes, Houllier deserves respect for bringing us that and deserves to be left alone to do a job at Lyon. Like Fowler and like Owen he's a part of Liverpool's past, thanks for the good times, good luck and goodbye. End of.
115-1073096938

Postby Garymac » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Im Fuc*ing stunned that supposed liverpool fans like yourself, can accuse Houllier of something as serious as this when his name has never been even mentioned in such circles as transfer bungs, and mentioning Houlliers name in the same breathe as Graham for fu*k sake, ok the end of his reign wasnt pretty but some of you just seem like you want the name Houllier tarnished as much as possible.

And Banana you really are a t!t, but ill give you a chance to answer, if houllier did take bungs which you think he did, Why do you think this, wheres your evidence of this, dont just say Yes, give your opinion on why.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:23 pm

stu_the_red wrote:

Did you celebrate when we won the Uefa cup, FA cup and League cup? Did you celebrate when we won the super cup and charity shield? Did it make you happy and feel proud?

Well in Banana's world we didnt win those things because we had Sami in the team

GH reign was ultimately a failure but i for one will never forget the joy of the the treble season even if it did turn out to be a false dawn

I say he deserves a bit more respect then what he gets on here sometimes but i just be wasting my fingers
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Garymac wrote:

Im Fuc*ing stunned that supposed liverpool fans like yourself, can accuse Houllier of something as serious as this when his name has never been even mentioned in such circles as transfer bungs, and mentioning Houlliers name in the same breathe as Graham for fu*k sake, ok the end of his reign wasnt pretty but some of you just seem like you want the name Houllier tarnished as much as possible.

And Banana you really are a t!t, but ill give you a chance to answer, if houllier did take bungs which you think he did, Why do you think this, wheres your evidence of this, dont just say Yes, give your opinion on why.

Well said GaryMac- i think everyone agrees that Houllier didn't make the best signings during his career but to win a treble and the Supercup etc he can't have been all that bad. It's a shame that now he's gone certain people will slate him as if he's a Manc!
What's happened to the scouse respect that we have for our team- new and old!

Give it break and go and moan about something justified!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:31 pm

none of us know what goes on in the seedy world of football transfers i would like to think that gh didn't take bungs i just think that he f@cked up badly when it came to some of his transfers.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:31 pm

stu_the_red wrote:and to be honest i think the answer to that is the answer to weather you are real Liverpool FC supporter or not.

'big up' to the whiston massive.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion