Paletta signs 4 year deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:53 am

lakes10 wrote:do we know why he was not picked for this world cup?

I dont know why, probabaly becasue there were more experienced players in those positions.

But I wouldnt take that as any indicator of his talent. There were many Argentine players who never went that would walk into a lot of big clubs.

Ariel Ortega had one of the best seasons of his life but wasnt picked, nor was Figeroa who really became a hero after the Confederations cup. And there was Sergio Aguero of course.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:17 am

additional info from shanklygates

New Players Guide: Gabriel Paletta
written by James Watts on 07/07/2006

Compared to the legend of Argentinian Roberto Ayala, 20-year-old Gabriel Paletta is very tough and he's exactly the sort of player we need who will suit the Premiership' according to his new manager, Rafa Benitez.

Club Atlético Banfield has been the club where young Gabriel has spent all of his footballing career until now. When he got his first chance to play in the first team, he didn't disappoint. Independiente Medellín was his first opposition, and thanks to a steady performance from the 20-year-old, Banfield won the game. Paletta was to not play any more part in the season though, as he was called up to play in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship.

Thanks to Paletta's performances during all seven matches in the Youth Championship, Argentina emerged victorious, and there was an extra reward in store for the young Argentine, as Rafael Benitez's scouts had spotted him, and quickly wrapped up a deal for him, because, according to Benitez, 'He has attracted a lot of interest from top clubs in Argentina like River Plate and Boca Juniors'.

With a good 10 years of top quality football left in him, he seems to be a great buy, and the competition between him and Daniel Agger for a place in the team can surely only be good for the squad as a whole.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:57 pm

Rafa always finds reason to lift up a player's morale

Paletta's style is right for
EnglandJul 13 2006

Liverpool Echo

GABRIEL PALETTA has the style to succeed in the Premiership, according to Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez.

And the Reds coach, who paid £2m to bring the Argentinian centre-back to Anfield from Banfield, thinks the 20-year-old has a game which is perfectly suited to the rough and tumble of English football.

Benitez unveiled his two South American signings yesterday, Brazilian Fabio Aurelio and Argentine Paletta.

And he explained: "Fabio has an advantage in that he knows the staff and can talk with us.

"He also knows Sissoko so maybe it is easier for him because he knows the people.

"But for the English style of play, I think it will be easier for Paletta to adapt.

"We were watching him in Argentina and all of our scouts said he is a very good player - for England.

"If he can learn English quickly we think he can become a very good player for us. He is 20-years-old now, but he already has the mentality that we are looking for."

Paletta himself declared it was an easy decision to move from his homeland to Merseyside.

"When you get the chance to come to a big club like Liverpool you don't hesitate for a moment," he said.

"It's a big step for me, of course, but I made the decision quite easily.

"Of course it will be difficult to force my way into the first team. It's a strong squad here, but I intend to work hard and do the right things to try and impress the manager.

"If I'm in the starting XI, then great, but if I have to start on the substitutes' bench that's okay also.

"I don't really like to talk about my own qualities. I just want to do my best for the team and the club in general.

"I am quite familiar with English football. We get all the games shown on television, I have seen the games and it's a case of trying to adapt my own qualities as quickly as possible for the benefit of the team."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion