Paletta signs 4 year deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:21 pm

Rafael Benitez today welcomed Gabriel Paletta into the Liverpool fold and immediately insisted our latest signing has the qualities to match the inspirational leadership of Jamie Carragher.
The young Argentinian defender was at Melwood yesterday for the first day of pre-season training but put pen to paper on a 4-year contract today.

Having followed the youngster's progress for some time, Benitez was delighted to have secured Paletta's signature and said: "I've worked with other Argentinian defenders in the past and there is a good tradition of tough, aggressive and tactically strong defenders from the country.

"Paletta is very tough and he's exactly the sort of player we need who will suit the Premiership. When you talk about the Argentinian defenders I worked with in Valencia, Paletta is more like Ayala than Pellegrino. If you're talking about Liverpool, he's more like Carra than Sami Hyypia. This is good because we will have a balance in the style of defenders.

"He is a defender with a lot of aggression and we're sure he has a great future. He will learn a lot here, like Daniel Agger, and provide competitiveness in our defence.

"We were watching him in the World Under-21 championships in Holland. That's when our scouts spotted him and we identified him as the kind of player we'd like.

"He has attracted a lot of interest from top clubs in Argentina like River Plate and Boca Juniors. River Plate even reserved a number six shirt for him, so we had to move quickly to sign him. We're delighted to have done the deal now."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152786060704-1606.htm

I dont have much to add as Ive never seen him play, but it should give some competition for places, and cover in defence, Carra must be bloody knackered and he cant play every game again this season.
Nice to see Agger and him will be getting into the team this season.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:44 pm

No flys round you sweet cheeks :D
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:47 pm

Its great that we are now looking strong in an area we were weak in this time last year.
Rafa and his scouting system appear to be bringing in top players from all over the world and that can only be good for the club.
Looking forward to seeing the lad in a few pre season games.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:52 pm

Sweet..

Nice to finally hear of some transfer activity. Looks like we're all set in the defence for the next season or two.

By the way, whatever happened to the Bonera deal?
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:53 pm

I said a bit about him in the aurelio thread.

He has a big potential to become one of the best defenders in the world. He is very good in the air (a very tall person), he is physically huge and strong, and he has a good amount of speed and pace, i say 75/100.

He can still work on his passing, his clumsy tackling and bit of his mental and technical areas. He is a huge threat in set pieces, check out his goals he scored, most of them from set pieces.

and he snarls at attackers
:D

BEWARE THEIRRY HENRY  :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:59 pm

metalhead wrote:he snarls at attackers

:bowdown
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:55 pm

metalhead wrote:I said a bit about him in the aurelio thread.

He has a big potential to become one of the best defenders in the world. He is very good in the air (a very tall person), he is physically huge and strong, and he has a good amount of speed and pace, i say 75/100.

He can still work on his passing, his clumsy tackling and bit of his mental and technical areas. He is a huge threat in set pieces, check out his goals he scored, most of them from set pieces.

Well lets hope he settles in and adjusts to the Premiership quick then.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:01 pm

bavlondon wrote:
metalhead wrote:I said a bit about him in the aurelio thread.

Well lets hope he settles in and adjusts to the Premiership quick then.

Dont expect too much too soon i doubt Rafa will use him much in 1st season but he'll be a good player by all accounts
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:06 pm

Well if thats the case then hopefully Agger will play more although to be fair to the lad he did suffer a little run of injuries.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:55 pm

This is good news.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:16 pm

Gabriel Alejandro Paletta (born 15 February 1986, Buenos Aires) is an Argentinean central defender, who currently plays for Liverpool F.C.. He is the second Argentine to play for Liverpool, after Mauricio Pellegrino.

Career

Paletta first came to prominence with Club Atlético Banfield in 2005. At the start of the year he was still yet to make his first team debut with Banfield, but when he finally got his chance he impressed. When Banfield qualified for the knockout stages of the Copa Libertadores they altered their 25 man squad for the event to include Paletta and immediately threw him into action against the Colombian team Independiente Medellín. Paletta played well and Banfield progressed, but Paletta was to play no further part in the tournament after being called up to the Argentinian under-20 team to contest the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship.

Paletta started all seven games playing in the heart of the Argentine defence. Argentina lead upfront by Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero went on to win the tournament and Paletta's performances brought him to the attention of Liverpool's scouts.

Image Image
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:38 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:

Image Image

:(  Hes not goiun in the hunkzone with that picture  :down:

:laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:42 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:

Is it just me who think in this pic he looks a bit like crespo?  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:06 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
anfieldadorer wrote:

Is it just me who think in this pic he looks a bit like crespo?  :D

Yes.......it's just you  :p
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:30 am

He's got a Mr. Burns nose!
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion