Thai pm bid for 30% stake in reds - A summer spending spree at anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue May 11, 2004 11:27 am

Worrying?, maybe...  :D

"The president of Thailand's Liverpool fan club says Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra is actually a Manchester United fan..."

##!

more: here!
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 11, 2004 11:33 am

Steve Morgan, please buy the club......, we don't need this at LFC, we need a fan running the club, not a dodgy businessman/PM from Thailand.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue May 11, 2004 11:35 am

they wont be running the club or have a majority share in the club so everybody need not panic, its a timely boost of funds for the club to start competing with the big boys again! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 11, 2004 12:28 pm

Amnesty warns Reds on Thai PM deal

Human rights campaigners have warned Liverpool against accepting the proposed £60m investment from billionaire Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
The Premier is hopeful of purchasing a stake of as much as 30 per cent in the Anfield club by the end of the week. However, Shinawatra's government has been severely criticised by Amnesty International.

It is unclear whether the finds involved in the deal are coming from Thaksin's personal business fortune or public funds.

Spokesman Jakrapob Penkair is reported to have said today: 'We will buy it in the name of Thailand. We want Thai people to be part of the purchase.

'The Thai government is the one that negotiated the deal, not Thaksin and most of the money will come from public funds.'

This would appear to contradict assurances made by Thailand's Deputy Minister of Commerce Pongsak Ruktapongpisal over the weekend.

'I also want to assure you that the money comes from the Prime Minister himself not from public funds,' he said in a statement.

Neil Durkin, an Amnesty spokesman, told The Daily Telegraph: 'Thailand's human rights record has been a particular concern recently following a government-led "drugs war" that has seen several thousand drugs suspects killed by law enforcement officers.

'In one three-month period alone last year, a staggering 2,245 people were killed according to official statistics. We have called on the Thai government to allow independent investigations into this worrying wave of killings.'

Steven Kelly, editor of Liverpool fanzine Through the Wind and the Rain, added: 'We should have distanced ourselves from this guy from day one. If we had an ounce of humanity we should have said 'No' immediately.

'He [Shinawatra] doesn't look like the kind of character you should be doing business with. There is going to be controversy about it. It's dragging morality down when the majority of people say "As long as the team is good, I don't care".'

Shinawatra, a former police official who made his fortune in telecommunications, has been in talks with Reds chief executive Rick Parry, said: 'If the board are happy with the result of talks then we can make a joint announcement later this week, maybe Friday.

'It is a good business prospect since the team is in the top five of the English Premiership.'

His spokesman, Chakrapot Penkai, added: 'Why does the prime minister want to invest in Liverpool? Because it is the era of the brand name, with a good quality brand name you can do many things.

'Liverpool's name is a world-class name - people attach their fantasies, their liking for sports, their enhancement in life, their self-development, along with this kind of team.

'Thailand is an up and coming country, so we need some names to help us come into the global era.'

Part of any deal could see Liverpool setting up an academy in Thailand and help with the country's professional league. The Reds faced Thailand's national team in a friendly last July, winning 3-1 in Bangkok. 

This is a worrying thing, i can see the positive of the money, but who is this guy, he doesn't seem like the sort of man a football club should be involved with.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Tue May 11, 2004 12:49 pm

"This is a worrying thing, i can see the positive of the money, but who is this guy, he doesn't seem like the sort of man a football club should be involved with"

I have to second that
Money is a positive but not if its tainted
There seems to be conflicting reports from the thai goverment
Is this privately funded or publicly funded!

I presume it is publicly funded as there would be no need for the Deputy PM to get involved if it was privately being purchased by the PM
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue May 11, 2004 12:57 pm

I don't like the sound of this. Give me Steve Morgan's £50million anyday. At least we know he's a fan with the clubs best interests at heart
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm

Yep I agree

Funnily enough it seems Moores will be gaining more out of this then the club itself
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue May 11, 2004 1:06 pm

I visited the Mancs forum to see their saying on this deal, this is one of the ba#ta#ds comment:

"This should eradicate the drug problem on merseyside 
Maybe we'll see the dippers sign thier first 'Ladyboy' s##t!, I forgot about Owen..."

ba#ta#d!  :laugh:
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Tue May 11, 2004 1:24 pm

Couldnt care less about the mancs other then us beating them 1-0
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 11, 2004 1:39 pm

thaihound wrote:. This IS the man: "A combination of the corporate dominance of [Italy's Silvio] Berlusconi, [Venezuela's Hugo] Chavez's populist approach and the thuggery of [Zimbabwe's Robert] Mugabe." -- Kavi Chongkittavorn, a senior editor at the Nation newspaper.

Brilliant !!! Just the guy to get the best out of Biscan Diouff and all the other shirkers.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Seriously, we need the cash and Liverpool play in the English Premiership NOT Thailand , I wouldn't get to worried about his personal impact on us. :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion