Rafa's summer spending - Transfers 2007/08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 am

Thanks to many tabloids and the odd sly comment from Ferguson and more vocally Mourinho, the majority of non - Liverpool fans and some cockend Liverpool fans actually believe there is more pressure on Rafa to perform this season because of this reported £47 - £50m he has spent aqquiring new talent.

I disagree.

Yes the Americans have come riding into town on horseback flashing the dollars and making all the right noises but Rafa actually has not actually gone out and spent lots and lots of Georges or Tom's American dollar.

The players he brought in:

Fernando Torres  -  £21.5m
Lucas                -  £8m
Ryan Babel         -  £11.5m
Yossi Benayoun   -  £5m
Andriy Voronin    -  FREE

Total Value  -  £46m

And we all know he has brought in a lot of youngsters as well for nominal fees so lets just say he spent the supposed £50m, giving £4m for these nominal fees for the 137 youngsters he bought.

Then consider the transfers out of the club:

Craig Bellamy  -  £7.5m
Dibs Cisse      -  £7m
Luis Garcia     -  £3.5m
Pongolle        -  £2.7m
Zenden         -  FREE
Fowler          -  FREE
Dudek           -  FREE

Total Income  -  £20.7m

So thats a net outlay of just under £30m. Considering Rafa went on another run to the Champions League Final last year, I think the club is running like a very good business.

Another thing to take into account is the wages of players. I know we don't know the exact details of the wages players get but I'd be willing to put my left testicles that the wages off the players coming in are less than those going out.

Also its nice to see that the signinigs brought in by Rafa all have many many years left in the game (bar the Voroninator)  - Torres - 23, Babel - 21, Yossi - 25, Lucas - 21.

He's definitely building something good here folks and the future looks brighter than it has ever before for me at least.

I really am excited about this year and the next 5 - 6 and I think we might, just might become a superpower in England once again.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:32 am

left testicles

:laugh:

What ? You've got two left testicles, I dont know whether I should be envious or not.
66-1112520797

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am

The spending by Rafa this year has been exaggerated all over the media, the net spend is closer to £25m (you forgot Gonzo!). FFS sometimes Torres cost us £20.2m then the next day £26.5m, it seems there is a concerted effort to make out we are spending on par with Chelsea and Manu, which is not true.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:40 am

Liverpool fans and some cockend Liverpool fans actually believe there is more pressure on Rafa to perform this season because of this reported £47 - £50m he has spent aqquiring new talent.

Well I must be one of those "cockend" fans because I think its time Rafa made in roads on the league and he has had his fair share of cash to spend SINCE he's been here. I know its nothing compared to United's or Chelsea's but still he has had time and money to bring his OWN players in. I think its about time we compete with the other big three guns, and not just sit back in awe of them, with excuses to shoot.
66-1112520797

Postby Rafa D » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 am

No, but you don't think we should sack Rafa do you if we don't win the league?

So fans do.

I want improvement of course and I want the league, but just because he has spent slightly extra this year than normal, I wouldn't say his career at Liverpool depends on title success like some do.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:53 am

No of course not. But I do think we should improve greatly in the league. Infact the onlythings that need improving is our early season form, say two to three months worth, as after that we're usually a solid and consistant outfit.

But I know what you mean though, and all this c.rap about Rafa's spending this summer is slightly OTT, but its to be expected I suppose.

How Chelsea fans would love to wind that in, as in we've spent what they see as vast amounts of money like they did, but fail to win the league.

I hope we rape them at the weekend.
66-1112520797

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:23 pm

Bamaga man wrote:

No of course not. But I do think we should improve greatly in the league. Infact the onlythings that need improving is our early season form, say two to three months worth, as after that we're usually a solid and consistant outfit.

But I know what you mean though, and all this c.rap about Rafa's spending this summer is slightly OTT, but its to be expected I suppose.

How Chelsea fans would love to wind that in, as in we've spent what they see as vast amounts of money like they did, but fail to win the league.

Of course we need to improve and shouldn't sack Rafa but he can't keep spending money on new players forever without some kind of improvement required. He acquired a top four or five side and we're still only a top four side, what should we expect? He's spent as much as or more than most clubs, net or otherwise, and I am sure the assembled team is the third most expensive in the league. Do we give Rafa until he's outspent the top two before we expect to displace them in the league? Pray tell what return we should expect for £30m? ??? We've done the cups without that £30m spending so what does he need to do? He was brought in to win the league, he's had three seasons to settle in and unless he's on a Houllier (five year plan) then he must have made it clear when we can expect title challenges (since he's yet to mount one)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:56 pm

Owzat wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Of course we need to improve and shouldn't sack Rafa but he can't keep spending money on new players forever without some kind of improvement required. He acquired a top four or five side and we're still only a top four side, what should we expect? He's spent as much as or more than most clubs, net or otherwise, and I am sure the assembled team is the third most expensive in the league. Do we give Rafa until he's outspent the top two before we expect to displace them in the league? Pray tell what return we should expect for £30m? ??? We've done the cups without that £30m spending so what does he need to do? He was brought in to win the league, he's had three seasons to settle in and unless he's on a Houllier (five year plan) then he must have made it clear when we can expect title challenges (since he's yet to mount one)

I agree with your sentiments Owzat.
66-1112520797

Postby heimdall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Yepp big big improvement needed but so far so good, This weekend is a BIG test though, we need the win or at least a very competitive draw.
So far I'm very happy with Torres and Babel but I would still love to see another wingers, pref left sided, I'm :censored: off we didn't get Malouda he looks special.
heimdall

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Rafa said we needed to take two steps forward rather than one if we were to catch up the " big two". In my honest opinion we have only taken one real step forward (Torres) with the rest of our buys being in the should be good/great in a years time (Babel, Lucas), or are only slight improvements on the players they are replacing (Benayoun, Voronin)

I would have liked to see another top player arrive, someone with genuine creativity at the top level( Tevez, Malouda, Mancini etc) Thats not to say we can't challenge, but I think we will need lots of luck and our players to be at the top of their game if we are going to win the League. Hopefully the hard work of Kuyt, Crouch and Veronin will help to cover for any lack of creativity and maybe Pennant and Benayoun will surprise me and perform to a higher level. 

I do expect big things from Mascherano this season, and feel that he could be a big influence on how our season goes.
account deleted by request

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:31 pm

I'm a fan who thinks Rafa's future is in jepordy depending on this years league form, not because we've spent big this year, but because Rafa now knows the English game and it's time he delivers in the league.

I don't want Rafa sacked if we don't win the league, but if we're 15+ points behind come the end of the season, something seriously has to be considered. We can't constantly rely on a good European cup run to paper of the appauling league form. This year I'd be happy for us to be knocked out by Toulouse as long as we go on and win the league. This year Rafa has to deliver in the league.

As for spending big, I couldn't care less how much is spent, because nowadays you have to spend big. I'm happy that this time Rafa hasn't spent money for the sake of it and he's actually brought in players who will strenghten the squad and starting 11.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Rafa D » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:44 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I'm a fan who thinks Rafa's future is in jepordy depending on this years league form, not because we've spent big this year, but because Rafa now knows the English game and it's time he delivers in the league.

I don't want Rafa sacked if we don't win the league, but if we're 15+ points behind come the end of the season, something seriously has to be considered. We can't constantly rely on a good European cup run to paper of the appauling league form. This year I'd be happy for us to be knocked out by Toulouse as long as we go on and win the league. This year Rafa has to deliver in the league.

As for spending big, I couldn't care less how much is spent, because nowadays you have to spend big. I'm happy that this time Rafa hasn't spent money for the sake of it and he's actually brought in players who will strenghten the squad and starting 11.

Do you actually remember what it was like under Houllier?
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:59 pm

We knew all this before anyway.

On a side note im looking forward to seeing Levia in action. When might this be? ???
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:42 pm

s@int wrote:Rafa said we needed to take two steps forward rather than one if we were to catch up the " big two". In my honest opinion we have only taken one real step forward (Torres) with the rest of our buys being in the should be good/great in a years time (Babel, Lucas), or are only slight improvements on the players they are replacing (Benayoun, Voronin)

I would have liked to see another top player arrive, someone with genuine creativity at the top level( Tevez, Malouda, Mancini etc) Thats not to say we can't challenge, but I think we will need lots of luck and our players to be at the top of their game if we are going to win the League. Hopefully the hard work of Kuyt, Crouch and Veronin will help to cover for any lack of creativity and maybe Pennant and Benayoun will surprise me and perform to a higher level. 

I do expect big things from Mascherano this season, and feel that he could be a big influence on how our season goes.

Rafa might have to settle with one step this season and another step next season, if he expects the team to improve by two folds then I feel he is in for a long and frustrating campaign.

Is it not a tad premature to be calling Torres a step forward? I thought Rafa meant that the team as a collective will have to make two strides forward or is he hinting that two more players are needed to enforce a genuine title challenge?

Babel looks (from first impressions) that he’ll have a part to play in our matches this season, he has been impressive over the last two games and the pleasing fact is he can only get better. I have not seen Lucas play before, so I cannot comment, he does seem like a player for the future.

As for Voronin and Benayoun, I feel you’re being a tad harsh on these players. Voronin has been impressive since his arrival and if he can maintain this level of performance than he’ll prove to be a valuable member of the team.

As for Benayoun he is a good, little player, he was an influential member of West Ham’s squad in both the seasons he played for them and along with Tevez managed to help secure West Ham in top flight football, he is an improvement as our the other three signings.

Are you expecting the league this season? Granted we do need a bit more flair, creativity and clinical finishing in the final third, I feel that no more signings should be bought in until next summer. It would be nice to have Torres, Voronin, Benayoun and Babel settle in before adding more recruits.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 pm

I may get a lot of stick from this, but seeing that the summer isn't over yet, if someone came in with a bid for crouch for 10 to 15 million, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Something tells me he's going to have a p*ss poor season this year. He was dreadful in pre season and on Wedensday. I just think he turns us into a one dimensional team when he plays. We hit far too many long balls up to him in the hope that he catches on on his head for someone to get on the end of. Also, for his size, his heading is shocking.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion