No crazy spending spree.. - Rick  parry

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mistyred » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:14 pm

Just went to Soccernet and what i saw made my belly turn.
Rafa Benitez was quoted as saying "I know we need another Central defender", But parry said something like we will not make any money signings (What the hell does this mean)?.

If we are only going to sign Cisse and Josemi are we stuffed for all competition? I hope there are several misquotes to that articule as i cannot do anything except think the worst.

Iam full of optimsm but those kinds of reports do not bode well for hopes of glory.

Please discuss this matter constructively.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:18 pm

i wouldn't worry. this is taken from an official interview with parry from the liverpool website.

Q. Are there plans for any more signings before the start of the season?

A. One step at a time. This is the period for Rafa to evaluate the whole squad. We've had one game and there's two more matches to come so it's about taking a balanced view and making sure we get the right signings in the right positions. We are not rushing headlong into everything and we'll see.

sounds pretty positive to me. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:27 pm

Thanks StMichael i have not been to the official LFC site for some time:( , as i can't seem to load it on my pc.

But what if the deadline comes and goes without anyone else arriving? Reports are saying Diouf will defo be off, Smicer out for two months (whats new), And Kewell has done himself a mischief.

And if Raffa want's attacking Footie what have we got in the way of creativeness and stability at the back?.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:31 pm

mistyred wrote:Please discuss this matter constructively.

OK, here goes.
We seem to have a division in the forum at present between those who think that Rafa's magic touch and the current squad will return us to the position of real title contenders and those who feel we are still short of some "class" in defence and midfield.
I fall into the second category.

It has been said by many that we need a "central defender with pace" to play alongside Sammi, maybe Rafa has Josemi in mind to fill this role but I dont know enough about Josemi to judge whether or not he will solve that problem.
The other glaring problem is the lack of creativity in midfield and as far as I can see this problem will not be solved by anyone within the current squad. We desparetly need a playmaker with class to get things ticking.
Without the above I for one can't see us as REAL contenders for the big trophies.
:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:31 pm

smicer's always bloody injured. he keeps coming out and begging for "another chance" but then goes and gets crocked again. as for harry kewell, this ankle injury is a major concern. he can't play through it like he did for part of last season because he'll do some serious long-term damage. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:41 pm

I still feel that without funds we are going to struggle, Not badly but none the less enough to keep us from what we all want.
Optimism is one thing but hard facts are something else,If we fail for half of the season then will the Fans think that Raffa is to blame? :( I Personally feel he has the Knowledge to take us to the top but it cannot be done enthusiasm alone, it is time for the board to stand and REALLY be counted.
And yes i don't believe that getting rid of GH is bieng counted as it came to late i still believe they only done it as to shut the supporters up, It's time to put foot in arsene and there money were there mouth is and show us they mean business.???
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:09 am

I'm not too worried if Beni doesn't buy anyone else this summer but we could do with a right midfielder, I think that we have good players but we just need the right 'man management' to get the most out of them but unfortunately we never had that with GH as players used to loose confidence playing for him, I think that Rafa will get the team passing and moving and playing good football :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:10 am

I would be disappointed if we din't sign at leat another midfielder , be it a right mid or centre mid, two gaps we need to fill to be a title winning side.

Dudek/ Kirkland
Carra/Finnan
Hyppia
Josemi
Riise
x
Gerrard
x
Kewell
Owen
Cisse

Baros
Hamann
Henchoz
Diao
Flo-po
Murphy
Finnan/Carra
Biscan

IMO that side would win us the title and  do well in Europe.

I am hoping that Rafa signs another midfielder at least because i think we lack depth there since La Tallec, Cheyrou, Diouf and perhaps Diao are being shipped out, otherwise with an injury to Kewell or Gerrard we would nt have many midfielders of much quality in cover. As it is we only have 6 midfielders (Murphy, Gerrard, Hamann, Diao, Kewell and Biscan).

This midfield lacks quality/depth and needs to be strengthened if we are going to be seroius contenders to the title, the midfield isn't awful but an injury to a key player like Gerrard would leave us in a spot of bother.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion