Spending over? - Summer spending over

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby flipmode » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Does anyone else think that the Summer Spending is over? The rumours seemed of dried up......  I feel unless more players are sold for example Traore apparantly we want £3 Million for then maybe we are done ? ???
Last edited by flipmode on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:49 pm

I think there is money there, somewhere close to 10 Mil, we only need to buy a striker, and that would be someone high quality to come straight into the team, so maybe we haven’t got enough for that and need to make a few sales in order to have enough money to buy a particular player.

If we can shift Pongolle, Troare, Le Tallec and Diao, and make 5 Mil out of them then maybe we will sign a good striker.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:51 pm

We are liverpool. im sure if rafa said 'i NEED this money to sort out my squad then he could find the money.

We will sign one more player before the start im sure
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flipmode » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:54 pm

I hope so, i think a couple more Million and we can secure a player, it seems Kuyt at the moment.  But on the other hand the season is just around the corner and signing someone now is important to get the friendlies in and training.
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:58 pm

cant we offload the likes of dudek etc to one of these Italian cheating teams who have lost their players?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 pm

I've a sneaking suspicion we're done spending until January.  Dunno why, really, just a gut feeling.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby anti-hero » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:10 pm

I should hope not..

We really dont need the players who have been told that they can leave the club, lingering around any longer.

Rafa needs to offload Traore, AND Diao immeadietly.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:28 pm

Definitely one more signing to come.

Just because the rumours have died down doesn't mean that Rafa and co aren't plugging away behind the scenes. I expect there'll be another flurry of activity in a week or so.
ivor_the_injun

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:37 pm

we all know Rafa aint just going to buy anybody, if he cant get the right player for the right price then it stays in the bank till january.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:43 pm

I hope there is still one more signing to come?..we need a real quality striker to complement bellamy. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:06 pm

A striker really is a must IMHO. We realistically have three in Fowler, Bellamy and Crouch and you would have to ask how many games Fowler is likely to play when the matches start coming thick and fast. Used properly, Robbie can be a massive asset this season but an injury to Crouch or Bellamy would see him as a regular starter and he isn't physically up to that I don't think.
I suppose if you stretch the point you may be able to make a case for us having five strikers if you include Pongolle and Garcia (I don't include Mellor even if he's still around) but I don't think Pongo is going to be good enough and Garcia would make it three little fellas and only one big guy.
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Rafa may have a surprise up his sleeve if the transfer of his preferred target Kuyt fails to materialise. We saw with the Alves situation that if he doesn't get his man he is prepared to reconsider and go for a cheaper and more readily available alternative. Having said that, who on Earth that would be I've absolutely no idea. I guess short term it could be one of the Madrid boys (most likely Raul), Annelka or as an absolutely wild stab in the dark if he was looking closer to home, Yakubu.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:00 am

RAUL ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
WHAT ?!
Raul would probably cost 50mill or something.....Aaaaaand since when is Raul second to Dirk Kuyt ?!
no offense but thats the most ridiculous thing i'v ever heard ! Raul is real madrid's captain, spain's captain , and historically is one of the best strikers in european history ! if we could have signed him, im sure we would have done that even if it would have meant swapping Xabi alonso...wouldnt have liked it, but could have happened if they would have offered raul...im sure ! Anelka is a more likely option...wouldnt fancy us signing him tho...he's good and all but we need that extra bit of quality if we are to sign a striker to pair up with bellamy ! Yakubu is good but would probably cost alot, and middlesb. would be reluctant to let go anyways ! Kuyt is looking a good option for now...still.... trezeguet on loan, or even as a buy would make a better piece of business imo !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:17 am

I hope the spending is not over because IMO not only do we need another striker but we are light in defensive midfield with Didi going. The only holding defensive midfielder we have is Xabi,who is actually much more than just a defensive midfielder, he combines this role with being a great creative midfielder. Momo is a great all action player who tackles and harries ALL over the pitch. Could he restrict his game and have the required discipline. Bolo is just not up to the job defensively. Gerrard would be wasted having to restrict his attacking game to play there, but would be our best option. Carragher could do a job in a pinch, but do we want to lose him from defence. Hobbs can play there but IMO he is not ready and he IS a defender.So if Xabi gets injured, suspended or needs a rest who do we play instead? Ironically we have much better options now if Gerrard is out than Xabi.
             We need another striker/target man because as we saw today Bellamy cant hold the ball up, hes just not that type of player, and neither is Robbie. Kewell and Luis our other possibles, Rafa has played as attacking midfielders supporting Crouch rather than as a second striker. So unless we change our style away from home and play two strikers Robbie AND Bellamy,we need someone who can hold up the ball allowing us time to switch from defence into attack apart from Crouch.
          I dont believe we need two proven top class players for these positions , maybe just two young players with lots of potential would be enough(easier said than done :D ), as hopefully they would only be playing a few games as cover for injuries or to give Xabi and Crouch a rest etc.
           The problem is we dont seem to have the funds to buy Kuit, nevermind Kuit and a holding midfielder until we get rid of the "surplus to requirements" players,and Clubs are hardly throwing money our way for them at the moment.
           I think we will finally buy Kuit, and gamble on being able to cover for any loss of Xabi with Gerrard and just hope its not for the big games.
account deleted by request

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:36 am

s@int wrote:I hope the spending is not over because IMO not only do we need another striker but we are light in defensive midfield with Didi going. The only holding defensive midfielder we have is Xabi,who is actually much more than just a defensive midfielder, he combines this role with being a great creative midfielder. Momo is a great all action player who tackles and harries ALL over the pitch. Could he restrict his game and have the required discipline. Bolo is just not up to the job defensively. Gerrard would be wasted having to restrict his attacking game to play there, but would be our best option. Carragher could do a job in a pinch, but do we want to lose him from defence. Hobbs can play there but IMO he is not ready and he IS a defender.So if Xabi gets injured, suspended or needs a rest who do we play instead? Ironically we have much better options now if Gerrard is out than Xabi.
             We need another striker/target man because as we saw today Bellamy cant hold the ball up, hes just not that type of player, and neither is Robbie. Kewell and Luis our other possibles, Rafa has played as attacking midfielders supporting Crouch rather than as a second striker. So unless we change our style away from home and play two strikers Robbie AND Bellamy,we need someone who can hold up the ball allowing us time to switch from defence into attack apart from Crouch.
          I dont believe we need two proven top class players for these positions , maybe just two young players with lots of potential would be enough(easier said than done :D ), as hopefully they would only be playing a few games as cover for injuries or to give Xabi and Crouch a rest etc.
           The problem is we dont seem to have the funds to buy Kuit, nevermind Kuit and a holding midfielder until we get rid of the "surplus to requirements" players,and Clubs are hardly throwing money our way for them at the moment.
           I think we will finally buy Kuit, and gamble on being able to cover for any loss of Xabi with Gerrard and just hope its not for the big games.

I still dont see how we can cover for sissoko if he's injured or cant play for a long time....xabi and gerrard would play but defensively we'd suffer massively imo. Hamann i dont see why we sold him...he is one who could replace Alonso or Sissoko.. he probably wanted out since rafa said he wont be starting as often...
You said you cant see us playing without Alonso, i think zenden can only come in for alonso (given sissoko is playing) ... For DM cover any young player with potential would do as you said ( hobbs is a no no ) ...
but for that second striker role....we need a top class striker with quality finishing...nothing less ! kuyt is not looking too good as we cant seem to afford him, but we need to figure this one out asap !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:10 am

aCe' wrote:RAUL ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
WHAT ?!
Raul would probably cost 50mill or something.....Aaaaaand since when is Raul second to Dirk Kuyt ?!
no offense but thats the most ridiculous thing i'v ever heard ! Raul is real madrid's captain, spain's captain , and historically is one of the best strikers in european history ! if we could have signed him, im sure we would have done that even if it would have meant swapping Xabi alonso...wouldnt have liked it, but could have happened if they would have offered raul...im sure ! Anelka is a more likely option...wouldnt fancy us signing him tho...he's good and all but we need that extra bit of quality if we are to sign a striker to pair up with bellamy ! Yakubu is good but would probably cost alot, and middlesb. would be reluctant to let go anyways ! Kuyt is looking a good option for now...still.... trezeguet on loan, or even as a buy would make a better piece of business imo !

Stop talking sh*t.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion