We have good hardworking players - It's just the system that sux

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zythums » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:24 pm

Many posts are dementing other players but Gerard... but I don't agree at all. We have hardworking players who want to win for Liverpool. In fact, the whole team is playing hard. If we were to look past the game results, I'm sure some of us wud agree.

It's the system that is wrong. Strikers dun get enuff service. Midfielders are not clicking well together. Defenders, under pressure thru'out the game, will succumb to errors.

But it's not becos the players are lousy! Whenever I see Gerard and Kewell and Baros and company play their heart out, but still play ugly soccer, I pity them. Put them in Arsenal/ManU/Chelsea/Fulham/Bolton and they will florish.

It is the system. When the above-mentioned teams play, we know they are playing within a system, a certain tactic, but so wat? When they clicked, there is nothing we can do about it. NOTHING.

Bottomline: Just get a manager who knows how to get Liverpool to play attractive flowing soccer and harness the strength of every individual player. Example: When Heskey was in Leicester, he was quite something. That is only becos his ex-manager knows how to harness his strength. It's that straight-forward! I am not saying it's easy, but it's straightforward.

Agree?
zythums

Postby big al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:32 pm

Charlton, Birmingham and Wolves are all hard working teams but will they ever win the premiership(will Wolves stay up). For years Wimbledon stayed in the top flight purely based on work ethic.  The title demands so much more than hard work.  Your right about the system though but add to that, tactics, motivation, ability, pace, desire, technique, professionalism, aggression, strength, width, team work, selflessness and lastly the most important ingredients we currently lack, movement and creativity.  Without the last two we are one dimensional.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby zythums » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:50 pm

Movement and creativity.. that's actually what "system" meant.  :)  Without a good system that players can play in, without harnessing the strength of the players, there is not going to be any movement or creativity...
zythums

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:38 pm

hardworking players don't win you anything these days. you need that extra little bit of class that makes the difference. the main problem we have is that we don't have what i would call a "creative forward" like a bergkamp at arsenal. the closest thing we had was jari litmanen but houllier didn't feel he could accomodate him into a 4-4-2 formation.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:25 pm

stmichael wrote:hardworking players don't win you anything these days. you need that extra little bit of class that makes the difference. the main problem we have is that we don't have what i would call a "creative forward" like a bergkamp at arsenal. the closest thing we had was jari litmanen but houllier didn't feel he could accomodate him into a 4-4-2 formation.

if GH had bought litmanen for 7 million, he might still be a liverpool player  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion