Some players are just not good enough.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:48 pm

I was sitting in the pub today watching the game with a couple of mates. We were discussing who we thought were good enough, the lads on the table next to us joined in and we basically both said the same things.

The only players out there today who were good enough to deserve a place next were Riise, Hyypia and Carragher. They all said Gerrard, i disagreed due to his shocking attitude, the way he screamed at Luis Garcia for shooting in the second half was a disgrace.

We also agreed that Morientes and Alonso were of the required standard and that Finnan and Hamann, were of an acceptable squad player standard.

The rest though, simply don't cut the mustard.

Nunez, Luis Garcia, Josemi, Dudek, Kirkland, Traore, Baros, Kewell, Biscan, Smicer, Mellor.

The lads i haven't mentioned like Warnock, Carson, Le Tallec Cisse and Sinama all deserve a chance.

All in all the squad is pretty thin:

Carson

Finnan
Carragher
Hyypia
Riise

Alonso
Hamann
Warnock
Le Tallec

Morientes
Cisse
Sinama

We probably have 5 players of a first team standard. Morientes, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise and Alonso. 2 of those today didn't play and in my opinion one was out of position.

Gerrard would certainly be in this bracket if he had the attitude and consistency his game is crying out for, but he still fails to convince me.

I personally believe we could do with a striker, two wingers, a central midfielder and maybe a top class replacement centre half for CARRAGHER. Not Sami. I believe it would be easier to find a centre half who would compliment Hyypia than Carragher and Jamie could then and would also be used as a full back.

I believe Hyypia is still the better player of the two centre halfs, his heading, strength, positioning influence and reading of the game and his knowledge of when to attack the ball is fantastic. Jamie has done well this season and is without doubt our player of the season but for me still lacks that overall ability and pressence.

To me a defence of Riise, Hyypia, Woodgate, Carragher/Finnan looks as strong as anything in the league with maybe the exception of Terry.

Other players like Gallas and King would also be better suited to partnering Sami as apose to Jamie.
115-1073096938

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:55 pm

We need a complete clear out?.. this squad are not good enough to win us anything, you could count the players we need to keep on 1 hand the rest are ******!! ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:59 pm

What is very worrying about today with all them injuries is what's happening at the Academy.  I hear that the U-16s are showing tremendous promise but what about the older kids, the 17-20yr olds?  Are they really so poor that they cannot force their way into the team given the depth of injuries we are carrying?

I am quite sure if we would have played ALT or another striker up front with Baros it would not have come to this.
We cannot afford anymore slipups, Rafa 4-4-2 end of story.
Whats the deal with Morientes refusing to play? Whats going on there?
Not another one ffs.
I heard last night Pelle would be playing , I knew Hamman and Mori wouldnt be.
But some fool said how do you know and I refuse to answer that muppet. :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:05 pm

If thats right Lynds about him refusing to play then we do have a problem. Heres hoping he's not going to do a Reyes and start missing the Paella and free-poured shots of house spirits. The experts on Sky soccer saturday informed us that he was being rested for the Champions league. Feck me I don't know why I bother watching those doughnuts, I swear my three year old knows more about the game than them.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:07 pm

Firstly i doubt you heard that last night.

For a second, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 1-1-1-1-1-1-5. I'm sick of all this blame it on the formation talk.

Arsenal have played 4-5-1 since Wenger took over, our best performances have been with that system. At home its harder to perfect especially missing our best players, but today simply proved to me players like Baros, Gerrard and Luis Garcia aren't what they are made out to be.
115-1073096938

Postby kenco » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:11 pm

we seem to play far better as a team when gerrard dosen't play,when he does the players around him let everything go through him and just sit back. as for the squad,just how many playing today would have been good enough to force their way into the great teams of the past? no need to answer i'll tell you now, none!!!!!!!! ???  in fact with the exception of stevie g, just how many would be good ehough to make it at arsenal the mancs or chelsea ? :( :(
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Go watch non league or something. I have. Its much better value and an honest game played by local lads. It also costs peanuts to watch. Ive been a Liverpool fan all my life but we are just going nowhere fast. I will continue to attend matches, pick my games, you cannot let go and all but its such hard work. They let you down over and over and its painfully frustrating. The players just aint up too it and cannot aspire or achieve our dreams. Our best days are long gone comrades. We walk on but with hopeful but heavy hearts these days.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:16 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:What is very worrying about today with all them injuries is what's happening at the Academy.  I hear that the U-16s are showing tremendous promise but what about the older kids, the 17-20yr olds?  Are they really so poor that they cannot force their way into the team given the depth of injuries we are carrying?

I am quite sure if we would have played ALT or another striker up front with Baros it would not have come to this.
Not another one ffs.

How would ALT or Kewell up front change the fact that our midfield today was poor?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:18 pm

Clearly we are in a through a sticky patch at the moment (its National understatement day and thats my contribution). There have been lots of indifferent performances with some decent ones scattered around (Leverkusen and Chelsea), but the consistency, heart and fight are all sadly lacking. Is it the managers inability to motivate the squad or are there disruptive influences, enemies within who damage morale?
My vote is on the latter I'm afraid. Our captain for one needs to go, both for his career and for the good of the club. Baros? don't know enough about his situation, and if he didn't put it in today then at least in his case its a rarity. Morientes? once again don't know but one thing is clear in my opinion, until we play and fight as a team in every game then we will never achieve our potential. You only have to look at Newcastles renaissance now the boil that was Bellamy has been lanced. Similarly, Everton have been a revelation now that Rooney has moved on.
Good management is abouty good buys but also good sells. Probably most important of all is building a fighting, winning team unit. For Rafa this summer is crucial. Only next season will we be able to see the sort of team he is putting together.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:18 pm

bigmick wrote:If thats right Lynds about him refusing to play then we do have a problem. Heres hoping he's not going to do a Reyes and start missing the Paella and free-poured shots of house spirits. The experts on Sky soccer saturday informed us that he was being rested for the Champions league. Feck me I don't know why I bother watching those doughnuts, I swear my three year old knows more about the game than them.

Correct me if i'm wrong but morrientes is ineligable for the champs league!! ??? ..
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:21 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Firstly i doubt you heard that last night.

For a second, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 1-1-1-1-1-1-5. I'm sick of all this blame it on the formation talk.

Arsenal have played 4-5-1 since Wenger took over, our best performances have been with that system. At home its harder to perfect especially missing our best players, but today simply proved to me players like Baros, Gerrard and Luis Garcia aren't what they are made out to be.

Stu I knew last night that Pelle was playing, there is a reply from me last night and I knew about Morientes dont ask me how I knew but I knew and I wil not divulge it ok.
If you dont believe me read the posts from last night.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:22 pm

Er.....thats what I meant mate. Hence the comment about my three year old knowing more than them.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:24 pm

Wow Stu and A.B. gangin up, f.uck off the pair of yers :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:27 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:What is very worrying about today with all them injuries is what's happening at the Academy.  I hear that the U-16s are showing tremendous promise but what about the older kids, the 17-20yr olds?  Are they really so poor that they cannot force their way into the team given the depth of injuries we are carrying?

Not another one ffs.

morientez refusing to play is just a rumour,you don't know your a*rse from your elbow,go back to the kitchen and try your best to get the lumps out of the gravy! :p  :p
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:28 pm

i didnt refuse to play, just wasnt 100% fit and the gaffer didnt want to risk me ahead of the crucial run in
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion