Some players are just not good enough.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:44 pm

nope..not targetting anyone in particular. just was pi$$ed with the loss.......

:D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:47 pm

i would absolutely love to see aimar at lfc. watched him last night against real madrid. he was world class. ran the game, scored a great goal and was generally superb.

looks like he's back in the new managers plans though :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby the return of HAS » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:22 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I was sitting in the pub today watching the game with a couple of mates. We were discussing who we thought were good enough, the lads on the table next to us joined in and we basically both said the same things.

The only players out there today who were good enough to deserve a place next were Riise, Hyypia and Carragher. They all said Gerrard, i disagreed due to his shocking attitude, the way he screamed at Luis Garcia for shooting in the second half was a disgrace.

We also agreed that Morientes and Alonso were of the required standard and that Finnan and Hamann, were of an acceptable squad player standard.

The rest though, simply don't cut the mustard.

Nunez, Luis Garcia, Josemi, Dudek, Kirkland, Traore, Baros, Kewell, Biscan, Smicer, Mellor.

The lads i haven't mentioned like Warnock, Carson, Le Tallec Cisse and Sinama all deserve a chance.

All in all the squad is pretty thin:

Carson

Finnan
Carragher
Hyypia
Riise

Alonso
Hamann
Warnock
Le Tallec

Morientes
Cisse
Sinama

We probably have 5 players of a first team standard. Morientes, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise and Alonso. 2 of those today didn't play and in my opinion one was out of position.

Gerrard would certainly be in this bracket if he had the attitude and consistency his game is crying out for, but he still fails to convince me.

I personally believe we could do with a striker, two wingers, a central midfielder and maybe a top class replacement centre half for CARRAGHER. Not Sami. I believe it would be easier to find a centre half who would compliment Hyypia than Carragher and Jamie could then and would also be used as a full back.

I believe Hyypia is still the better player of the two centre halfs, his heading, strength, positioning influence and reading of the game and his knowledge of when to attack the ball is fantastic. Jamie has done well this season and is without doubt our player of the season but for me still lacks that overall ability and pressence.

To me a defence of Riise, Hyypia, Woodgate, Carragher/Finnan looks as strong as anything in the league with maybe the exception of Terry.

Other players like Gallas and King would also be better suited to partnering Sami as apose to Jamie.

I agree with what most of what you said Stu. But it is difficult to overhaul a whole squad in 1 summer and with limited finances (look at Chelsea, it took them 2 years to clear away all the ******, and they have a bottom less pit.

So I think I would keep a few that you mentioned. For example, I would keep Garcia as a backup. Also I still have belief that Kirkland can establish himself as the number 1.

Also I can't believe all the stick that Hyypia gets, he is still a very good player, I can't believe people had the cheek to blame him for Drogba's goal in the Carling Cup, Carragher was marking him and let him get goal side.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coolsobs » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:27 pm

"was sitting in the pub today watching the game with a couple of mates. We were discussing who we thought were good enough, the lads on the table next to us joined in and we basically both said the same things.

The only players out there today who were good enough to deserve a place next were Riise, Hyypia and Carragher. They all said Gerrard, i disagreed due to his shocking attitude, the way he screamed at Luis Garcia for shooting in the second half was a disgrace.

We also agreed that Morientes and Alonso were of the required standard and that Finnan and Hamann, were of an acceptable squad player standard.

The rest though, simply don't cut the mustard.

Nunez, Luis Garcia, Josemi, Dudek, Kirkland, Traore, Baros, Kewell, Biscan, Smicer, Mellor.

The lads i haven't mentioned like Warnock, Carson, Le Tallec Cisse and Sinama all deserve a chance.

All in all the squad is pretty thin:

Carson

Finnan
Carragher
Hyypia
Riise

Alonso
Hamann
Warnock
Le Tallec

Morientes
Cisse
Sinama

We probably have 5 players of a first team standard. Morientes, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise and Alonso. 2 of those today didn't play and in my opinion one was out of position.

Gerrard would certainly be in this bracket if he had the attitude and consistency his game is crying out for, but he still fails to convince me.

I personally believe we could do with a striker, two wingers, a central midfielder and maybe a top class replacement centre half for CARRAGHER. Not Sami. I believe it would be easier to find a centre half who would compliment Hyypia than Carragher and Jamie could then and would also be used as a full back.

I believe Hyypia is still the better player of the two centre halfs, his heading, strength, positioning influence and reading of the game and his knowledge of when to attack the ball is fantastic. Jamie has done well this season and is without doubt our player of the season but for me still lacks that overall ability and pressence.

To me a defence of Riise, Hyypia, Woodgate, Carragher/Finnan looks as strong as anything in the league with maybe the exception of Terry.

Other players like Gallas and King would also be better suited to partnering Sami as apose to Jamie."

a lot of those player syou say we should sell such as kewell,traore,baros,luis garcia etc. have the potential to do well. Its not about buying better players but about getting the best out of the ones you already have
coolsobs

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:32 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I was sitting in the pub today watching the game with a couple of mates.

Now I KNOW you are lying. :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:22 pm

one point i disagree with, hyppia is far too slow and i'd rather see him go, we need a speedy centre half thats a good defender

and carragher as full back, no chance, not good enough to play there, i seen houllier play him there for years and he didnt even run past the half way line, we need a full back who will run down the wing and attack as well

carragher good centre half, full back? no way

but the rest i would agreer with
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:54 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I personally believe we could do with a striker, two wingers, a central midfielder and maybe a top class replacement centre half for CARRAGHER. Not Sami. I believe it would be easier to find a centre half who would compliment Hyypia than Carragher and Jamie could then and would also be used as a full back.

Carragher was never more than an average fullback but has been outstanding in the center of the defence . I believe this is his best position and he should remain there. .
Sammi is still a very good central defender , his lack of pace is well known , most of the time he compensates for this with his experience (positioning ,reading the ball etc) however I doubt if he has more than one or two seasons left in him at the level we require .
Of the two,longer term I would be looking for a replacement for Sammi .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:43 pm

bigmick wrote:Is it the managers inability to motivate the squad or are there disruptive influences, enemies within who damage morale?
My vote is on the latter I'm afraid. Our captain for one needs to go, both for his career and for the good of the club. Baros? don't know enough about his situation, and if he didn't put it in today then at least in his case its a rarity. Morientes? once again don't know but one thing is clear in my opinion, until we play and fight as a team in every game then we will never achieve our potential. You only have to look at Newcastles renaissance now the boil that was Bellamy has been lanced. Similarly, Everton have been a revelation now that Rooney has moved on.
Good management is abouty good buys but also good sells. Probably most important of all is building a fighting, winning team unit. For Rafa this summer is crucial. Only next season will we be able to see the sort of team he is putting together.

I think Mick has probably hit the nail on the head here. It's all very well pointing the finger at individuals and everyone has their own 'who should go' list - 'he's not good enough, neither's he' etc. But lets face it, there's considerably more talent in the squad than any team outside the top three. I never thought i would say this but we look a better team without the captain in the side and it seems likely we will be a better side next season without him. 

Like the supporters, the players must be sick of all the 'one man team' bollox coming out of the press. The speculation about the captains future overshadows just about every game, Gerrard gets the credit when we win and his teamates gets the flack when we lose.

Of course there is probably a lot more to it but we're simply not playing like a TEAM. Look at the blue shi.te. this season. Man for man they are fu.cking awful, Marcus Bent playing upfront all season!!!!!!! but they fight for ninety minutes, play for eachother and the fans and it is paying off for them. We desperately need some of that these last ten games.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:46 am

LFC #1 wrote:Forwards - I think if Milan leaves we need an excellent replacement player like Fernando Torres.
With Cisse due back next season, this would give us Flo-po, Cisse, Moro and Torres as forward options with perhaps Mellor as back-up in the resreves if needed.

Midfield - If Gerrard leaves we need another TWO central players IMO. One of class like Aimar and another sqaud player, which would give us Alonso, Aimar, Hamann and player X? I think Igor may be sold, and there are also the youngsters like Welsh and Potter.

I think Riise should keep the Left Mid spot, as for me he has been a revelation in that spot. Not sure if Harry will ever rediscover his form, but I ma willing to keep him on and Riise can always slot to left back of course.

We desperately need a quality right midfielder IMO. Someone like Joauquin or Wright-Phillips is a top priority as I can't see Nunez or Smicer being good neough for the role.

I would keep Garcia in the sqaud as I think he has enough ability to be used, and he can play in a variety of positions, a useful utility player IMO but not a starting midfield player. 

Defence Carra has secured his place as no1 in our central defence with an outstanding season, undoubtedly the player of the season for us IMO. I still think Hyppia is a quality centre-half but past his best and I think a new centre-half is a necessity.
Why oh why didn't Houllier get Boumsong when he could of? the man is a class act, Newcastle have picked up a great acquisition there.
Not sure what Rafa wants from Pellegrino, but he had a decent game yesterday and is worth keeping on as a back-up for next seaon I think.

Traore is a useful sqaud player a he can play centre-half or left-back, but we defo need another left back if Riise is going to play Left Midfield. Wayne Bridge anyone?

I have been impressed with Finnan this season and I think Rafa sees him as his first choice right back. Josemi will probably be 2nd choice and I can't see Rafa buying another right back.
IMO Otsemobor should be given a go ahead of Josemi. He got some d3cent first-team expereince at Crewe and tbh when he played in the few PL games he did for us last seaons I was quite impressed. Not sure if Rafa sees him as part of his plans though?

Their are also youngsetrs like Zak Whitbread and David Raeven coming through the system, and Warnock who can also play in the midfield if needed.

Goalkeepers Bit of a tricky one for Rafa I think. Do we need another goalkeepr or dos he rely on Carson with Dudek or Kirkland as back-up.

based on this I think this is what the first-team should look like next season.

GK:

Carson
Dudek/Kirkland.

Defence:

Finnan
Josemi/Otsemobor
Carra
Sami
Traore
New player x 2
Pellegrino?
Warnock
Whitbread
Raven

Midfield:

Gerrard? - Aimar, new player?
Alonso
Hamann
Wright Phillips/Joaquin?
Garcia
Welsh
Potter
Riise
Kewell.
La Tallec

Forwards:

Cisse
Moro
Pongolle
Baros? - Torres?

Sold?:

Biscan
Diouf
Smicer
Nunez?
Pellegrino leaves?
Baros?
Gerrard?
Dudek/Kirkland?
Partridge?
Cheyrou
Diao

Brought back from loan? Diarra.

How would you pick a side from these players?
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:16 am

Scottbot wrote:Look at the blue shi.te. this season. Man for man they are fu.cking awful, Marcus Bent playing upfront all season!!!!!!! but they fight for ninety minutes, play for eachother and the fans and it is paying off for them. We desperately need some of that these last ten games.

Blackburn showed if you play as a team and bring a tough game with them, you can win even at Goodison.
However, the blueshite will know we have a weak spine and overall sucked as a TEAM, so expect a very tough games ahead against Blackburn and the bluenose.
I reckon relegation threatened teams like Portsmouth and Palace are secretly counting on points when they play against us...just to reflect the sorry state we are currently in  :angry:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion